Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Older than Dirt Quiz  (Read 10964 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Older than Dirt Quiz
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 05:22:52 PM »

;D

Ladybt28

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 05:25:30 PM »

It's official.....I am positively ancient!... either that or I lived in a house with ancient stuff!  ;D
I was married to a milkman so that's not really old and they still had glass bottles when I married him.  Mum had a mangle and a top loading washing machine and was so proud of her "English Rose" fitted kitchen with the multi-coloured doors mum in our first house but my nana had one of the blue (sometimes green) painted sideboard/pantry cupboards in the kitchen with the sliding doors in the top...do you know what I mean?  I don't know if they have a name?

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 05:32:41 PM »

Pantries I think.   I always wanted one and in our first rent, there was 1 - cream body work and blue doors.  Front dropped down to show a cupboard, the front was used to make pastry etc..  Easy to wipe down.  Glass two-door cupboard above.  Two door cupboard below.  I saw one for sale recently: lovely condition, ?150.00.  I would love another but haven't room  ::).  The problem was that crumbs collected in the hinge area of the drop down front!

English Rose is in fashion - if one can find a complete set in good condition it costs ?Ks. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »

I remember 7....not number 7, 7 in total!   ::)
One of which is the mangle. Only because my mom had one before she got the front loader washing machine....😆

Oh yes, my mom had a pantry. Drop down door on the front! I'd forgotten about that. She would've covered it in flablon. That stuff that thinks it's a wallpaper but all you do is peel the backing off and stick it on....remember that anyone?
Jesus, my mom would've put flablon on my dad, if he'd let her....😂🤣
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:58:54 PM by jillydoll »

Barnacle

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 08:05:06 PM »

Pantries I think.   I always wanted one and in our first rent, there was 1 - cream body work and blue doors.

I grew up living with my Nan & Grandad and they had a cream and pale blue one. My easter eggs were always kept right on the top of the damn thing, and i was told off every year for trying to climb up onto the drop down part in an attempt to reach them. Never learnt though!!

Forgot to add, i can remember 10.

Ladybt28

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 11:34:52 PM »

:D you can still buy Fablon JD (in a range of 72 designs by the way), its called something else, but I knew it as "sticky back plastic"!  It's currently all the rage in the DIY magazines. x

Feather

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2020, 08:35:30 AM »

I had one of those pantry cupboards in my flat when I was a student- it was actually really good, space for everything and fold up work space as well! Omg Fablon- I loved it when I was a child- great for doing projects from Blue Peter!

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2020, 09:56:45 AM »

Did U get a Badge Feather?

Fablon - used to line drawers without removing the back or pantry shelves.

jaypo

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 09:59:16 AM »

Does anyone remember those lights in caravans,they were gas and very fine and delicate,I can't for the life of me remember what they were called,there was a little knob thingy that you could turn up or down for brightness

Countrygirl

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »

My gran still used a copper and a flatley dryer when I was little in the late 70's/early eighties, the copper scared me all that bubbling water and wooden tongs x

sheila99

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2020, 11:57:52 AM »

We still have a flatley drier, it's great for warming up hypothermic lambs. The electrics look a bit dodgy on it though.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »

How R your lambs?

My Grandma boiled the C.mas puds in the copper ........ they were mixed at October half-term so we all got 2 stir with a wish and cooked.  Then reheated in a saucepan on C.mas Day.

sheila99

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 01:55:16 PM »

5 are still too small to go out, the others are skipping around in the sunshine (not!). Still in at night, I think they'll be glad of it tonight.
We had a copper jam pan - size of a cauldren, my mother was an avid jam maker. I still have it, another of those things that I'll probably never use.

Ladybt28

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 11:01:04 PM »

We had a static caravan from when I was 2 to when I was 23 and I remember the mantles in the gas lights!! and there were no gas fridges then in caravans in 1964/5 so there was a trap door in the kitchen floor with a basket that set below the caravan to keep things cool.  We did have a gas cooker top though and a thing called an aqua-roll where you pushed the button on the floor to pump the water from the roll to the little sink!

jaypo

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »

We?re they just called mantles ladybt?You couldn't touch them as they were really fragile?Was so cozy with those lights :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3