Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Memories of the 1950s  (Read 4131 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Memories of the 1950s
« on: February 13, 2020, 07:24:35 PM »

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school... I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.  It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 PM, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 am. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week.
He had to get up at 6 every morning.

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

jspturner

Re: Memories of the 1950s
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:07:25 PM »

What a breath of fresh of air. It is so lovely to reminisce back to my childhood days in the 1970s. I too remember my neighbour getting a coloured television and she wanted to show off to the rest of the neighbours so she wore sunglasses as she said to the rest of the neighbours that the colours were to bright for her eyes, laughable I know, the television finished at 10pm well before channel 4 hit our screens, only 3 basic channels. Despite living in a different world, no technology, no mobile phones, no computers, skipping and playing outside with my friends, walking to school with my sister and not being chauffeured to school by so many parents in this day and age. Having said this the majority of my friends parents didn't have cars, there was only a handful. We were all in the same boat, we didn't feel disadvantaged, my mother and father distilled morals and my mother said that she could take my sister and I anywhere as we were well behaved. Sometimes I wish I could jump into my time machine and go back to the 70s and enjoy that simple way of life.
We as children were not wrapped up in cotton wool, we had freedom and although it seems like 100 years ago in a lot of ways. I had a very happy childhood.
Thanks for your post as it has reminded me of happier times.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 08:48:45 AM »

Life was simpler.  Less mobile money, most people simply didn't buy 'on the knock' other than mortgages.

R U less happy now?

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 03:11:41 PM »

Not that I was born in the 50s but I WAS taught respect for my elders and yes,always had to say...please may I leave the table

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 04:42:17 PM »

Friends of my parents were addressed as 'uncle' or 'aunt' - very confusing  :-\