Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Sore throat and health anxiety  (Read 12247 times)

Donnadoobie

Re: Sore throat and health anxiety
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 08:56:07 PM »

The worst would be throat cancer. 

Donnadoobie

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:46 AM »

Having another bad day today.  Throat sore again.  Thought I was doing so well. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2020, 10:01:52 AM »

How bad is the throat, enough to use a salt water gargle?  Bad enough for pain relief?

I often have a sore area at the base of my nose at the back: probably has a complicated name  ::) : which is due to post nasal drip, allergic rhinitis and sleeping with gob wide open.  Apparently.  But I never think that it might be serious as it's been with me for years++. 

Anxiety can cause a person to over-breath which will dry out the mouth/throat and cause soreness.  Do you practice any relaxation therapy?

Kathleen

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 11:10:24 AM »

Hello again ladies

Donnadoobie- I had a GP appointment yesterday and he examined my throat as it still feels sore most of the time.  He could find nothing wrong which is a relief but doesn't help explain the soreness.  On the way home I realised that I had stopped taking my vegan supplements and a sore throat can be a symptom of B12 deficiency. I've ordered some more tablets today but I wonder if this could be a problem for you.

Sorry that I can't be of more help but I thought my idea was worth mentioning.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 02:47:56 PM »

Thanks again, I feel a bit neurotic!

Throat goes from being very sore to not sore at all,  it is there niggling, feels as if it is at the bottom of my throat, in line with the ?v? under my Adam's apple.  Neck at the side is very tight and sometimes feels as if this is where the pain is from.  Does not really hurt when I swallow.  I keep thinking my tongue is sore too but cannot see anywhere that is sore.

Driving me mad, I am sure I am making it worse.

Next Tuesday I have a blood test for glandular fever but not sure what the other one was, probably a full blood  count.  Not sure I can wait this long but surgery is very pushed for appointments. 

Last night I got into bed, relaxed on the pillow and thought, no pain or tightness.  I watched a video about how to stretch the neck muscles to release tension.  This morning I felt I was in control then bam! Again with the soreness and tension, although not as much tension as yesterday and the globus feeling is not really there much, just a sore throat.

Part of me is wondering that during all of this I have actually picked up a virus which could be causing it and the tension is anxiety.  Anyway.  I have booked a follow up routine appointment following my blood test for 9th March!  I have not seen this GP before.  My GP has left the practice, I had so much trust in her.

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »

Not neurotic!  Health anxiety is common.  The Change does what it says on the tin  ::)

I understand that position, for me it's reflux  ::)

Donnadoobie

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2020, 09:11:39 AM »

Update.  Might be a bit long.

Throat is feeling less sore, slight discomfort with globus but mostly after I take tablets, otherwise manageable.

My thoughts about this, and I may be wrong but I will see how things go.

This all started when I could not sleep one night, I sat up and took two tablets that I had forgotten to take before I settled down, a probiotic and a plant sterol for Cholesterol, plant sterols tab is huge!  I think this scratched my throat as it went down and caused a lot of pain and discomfort for probably a few days, by which time my anxiety had kicked in big time.  This could also have caused my throat inflammation, for which I was prescribed antibiotics.   Meantime, while all of this was going on, I had the infection from my tooth grumbling away, on it's own just a mild discomfort, together, perfect for health anxiety concerns to build.  The antibiotics were not enough to kill the infection from the tooth (My original dentist used to prescribe anti microbials when this happened before) so the discomfort with my throat continued.  So when I went to the gp again, she could see no evidence of a throat infection as it was all inside under my tooth.  The second round of antibiotics has finally dealt with it, now that the source has gone.

Rumbling along with this, there may have been a silent reflux issue, resolved with omeprazole prescription, or a post nasal drip ( my dominant thought as I think it is still there) or both.

In the meantime, I may have picked up something viral, as I have a phlegmy chest, not too bad but this could also be the post nasal drip.  My voice goes a bit croaky until I clear my throat.

I found a site that demonstrated neck stretching exercises for globus and this is helping.

I think there has been lots going on and I may never know what or when but individually I could probably have brushed them off, together, along with anxiety I have not been able to deal with it and slipped into a very dark place, the worst time was Monday night.

I will see what comes back from the blood test next week but I can feel a lifting of my spirits a little and hope I can build on this but it may take a few weeks. I will see how I feel over the coming few weeks to see if I need to see the gp again.  I think this is a long road.

Anxiety has been the key component of all this.

I over analyse things, I like to understand things, always have.  I can deal with what I know.  That is why anxiety floors me, as there is often no reason for it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 09:33:00 AM by Donnadoobie »

Donnadoobie

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 11:26:25 AM »

Horrible isn't it Sparkle?

As soon as I wrote this this morning , I started with a sore throat  :-\.   I feel thoroughly fed up again  :'(

marge

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2020, 02:03:40 PM »

Fellow sufferer of the dreaded Health Anxiety too.  Do you find yourself waking up in the morning and scanning your body for symptoms?  I do and, low and behold, several different things pop up. But, if I'm mega-busy and rushing about, all is well.  As I've said before, the mind is very powerful and we can imagine all sorts of nasties that aren't really there.  You're not alone in the leaky old boat!

Donnadoobie

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2020, 02:08:07 PM »

Yes Marge I know what you mean

This morning I laid in bed before I got up and thought, I don't want to get up, everything feels ok, no pain, nothing.  Then I got up ............ :-\
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 09:02:34 PM by Donnadoobie »

Donnadoobie

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2020, 10:36:09 PM »

Found this while googling! ::)

Think it tells me what I already suspected but worth a read.  Hope it helps others having the same issues.

Must try to focus on this.

https://preventyourpanic.com/anxiety-symptoms-throat-problems

marge

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2020, 08:44:36 AM »

That's really interesting, Donnadoobie, thanks for posting.  It's always good to have something reassuring to read when the health anxiety strikes!

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »

It hasn't got any worse though?

Donnadoobie

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2020, 05:19:59 PM »

No, it is still the same.  I think it is a mix of post nasal drip and anxiety.  Trying to stay calm.

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »

That's good.  .......... and breath  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7