Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

Scared why I'm losing weight?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Sparrow:
A pound, or about 0.5kgs, equates to 3000 calories.  So putting weight on or taking it off, is not an overnight thing.

I still think you should tell your doc but your weight loss/gain doesn't sound that extreme, now you have have described it.

Hurdity:
Hi Lyncola

Only a doc can tell you if there is a problem re your metabolism (eg overactive thyroid) - ie that you are eating a lot, being very hungry but you are also exercising a lot maybe?

However your diet is terrible if that is typical! That much sugar and refined carbs would play havoc with your blood sugar and could make you hungry as it is mainly fast-release high GI foods. You are doing yourself no favours eating that sort of food and you are likely to be deficient in vitamins and minerals! You don't need a dietitician - just read a basic website on diet and healthy foods.

You need to cut right down on sugar and carbs, eat way more protein and if you want to put on weight make sure it is high in natural fats - the protein eg full fat yogurt, meat such as lamb, oily fish, coconut products, cream etc plenty of slow release carbs to fill you up if still hungry after all of that, and lots and lots of fruit and vegetables.

By contrast - this is what I've eaten today ( breakfast and lunch): brek: an orange, then porridge with sunflower seeds and a banana ( made with oat milk), followed by boiled egg; mid morning snack ( after very energetic exercise zumba class) - nuts and raisins; lunch - smoked salmon and scrambled egg on v small slice of gluten free toast ( no spread) + pear + natural low fat yogurt with tiny teaspoon honey. This eve husband is cooking lean pork chops on bed of loads of veg + veg with it. You could have similar but just more fat and spreads and full fat yog. Maybe bacon and egg for brek, and spuds for eve ( I realise it's summer where you are - so lots of salads!).

Let us know how you get on at the doc re weight by updating this thread!

Hurdity x

Kathleen:
Hello Lyncola

A good way to fill yourself up is by including starchy vegetables such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, whole grain rice and whole grain pasta. As these foods contain fibre you will feel satisfied and they won't spike your blood sugar. The trick is to avoid processed carbs as they have had the fibre removed which is why brown rice is better than white rice for example.

It may be that your thyroid has become over active so a blood test to check for this would be a good idea.

Hopefully you will get to the bottom of this soon.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Lyncola:
Hi everyone,

I must admit when I looked at what I ate yesterday, it even made me think, that's doesn't look good. My more usual eating is on my first two post. Bran loaf is a homemade recipe, less then 2.5g of sugar per serve, and has whole meal flour, all bran, almond milk, chai seeds and sultanas. With the potato gems only one a week, ice cream one a fortnight. Pumpkin scones homemade, with lots of pumpkin, no sugar they are vegan. I use to eat lots of fruit but cut back as IBS. Same with dairy, I now have lactose free.

Yes I probably eat a bit more crap then  I should but I'm scared if I ate totally healthy I would lose more weight. But like everything there's always room for improvement, and I will try.

Lyncola:
Thanks Jaypo,

it's funny half the people I talk to say don't worry, and the other half say check it out. I'm considering canceling my doctor appointment and moving it back one week. Just to see how my weight goes over another week (I only weight myself once a week on Tuesday, as my doctor told me too).

If I delay another week it also allows me to do my three week virginal atrophy check up, plus I can complain about my sensitive butt cheeks (which I know if I complain now she will tell me to give it longer to see if it goes away). I've been talking about my weight with my doctor since November. She was the one that told me 6 weeks ago, to weight myself for one month on Tuesdays, and  I reported back that I had put on a 1kg. So it will be interesting to get another weight in to see if I go up or down

But I would definitely delay only one week. it's a new thing I'm trying this year, to get as close to a month apart with my doctors appointments. If it was up to me I sure I could go weekly with some problem. But it's killing me to pay my doctor bills, as well as medicine.

Since premenopausal January last year it's been a costly year with doctors, medicine, rheumatologist, dietitian etc.

Thanks for everyone reply's and I will let you know how I get on at the doctors either on the 17th February or 24th February.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version