Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Free breast screen is due. Questions on form made me wonder...  (Read 4796 times)

dahliagirl

Re: Free breast screen is due. Questions on form made me wonder...
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 10:44:38 PM »

Drinking alcohol and being overweight are both bigger risk factors than hrt.  It is really worth working on these.

1 in 8 is a lifetime risk of diagnosis, not mortality.  Heart disease is the biggest killer, and lung cancer is really high up there.

But, something will get you in the end, and I don't really want to last long enough to die of Alzheimer's.  Maybe I will meet CLKD's bus?  :-X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »

It's OK I won't be driving it ;-)

But often people worry about all types of issues and then leave the Earth B4 the worry materialises.  I can understand how worry can grind a person down  :'( ............ as situations outside my control take over 24/7.

Jari

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 10:02:33 AM »

Very true dahliagirl. Of course we must also keep alcohol levels at or under recommended units per week and keeping weight and bmi at correct levels goes without saying. For BC but also heart etc etc and menopause symptoms. X

dahliagirl

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 12:20:33 PM »

Yes diet and exercise are a win on so many fronts, and you can have fun with them even if it does not ultimately 'work'

Tc

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05:43 PM »

Yellow flower. I didnt know about a yearly screen being available.  I  havent had any screening since turning  50. Other than 3 yearly mammograms.  (And of course smear tests).

I have  multiple  cysts in my breasts since  my early 40s seen at breast clinic on ultrasound   so I have been wondering  if i should get mammograms more regularly than every 3 years.   .

What does the  yearly health screen include , if you dont mind me asking.

Xx

yellowflower

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2020, 09:02:43 PM »

Yellow flower. I didnt know about a yearly screen being available.  I  havent had any screening since turning  50. Other than 3 yearly mammograms.  (And of course smear tests).

I have  multiple  cysts in my breasts since  my early 40s seen at breast clinic on ultrasound   so I have been wondering  if i should get mammograms more regularly than every 3 years.   .

What does the  yearly health screen include , if you dont mind me asking.

Xx

In Australia, we get a free mammogram every year after age 50. If anything shows up, you get a call back for further tests. Prior to the mammogram, you must fill in a consent form that also asks about family history of ovarian and breast cancer, along with questions about HRT use.

Tc

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 09:37:53 PM »

I see. Thank you yellow flower. X

sheila99

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 10:22:53 PM »

Tc I think you can ask them to drain cysts, they've always asked me when I've had them. I had a large one last time (convinced it was bc of course), I'd hate them to have left it because I couldn't check myself properly behind it.

Tc

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 12:34:57 AM »

Thanks sheila.  Yes checking never puts my mind at complete rest. It's difficult  as  there are so many and sometimes they are more apparent than other times. I was told they were hormone related and that as I got older the pain would ease.  and it did indeed settle in my late 40s.  But it seems to come and go on HRT.

I could get my gp to check but I think as soon as she feels the cysts she will send me to breast clinic.  That's,what happened before.

Xx. . .

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »

I fill in that type of Form every time I go for a smear or mammogram ........ it's about building up patient profiles for future Research.

yellowflower

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 09:43:13 AM »

I fill in that type of Form every time I go for a smear or mammogram ........ it's about building up patient profiles for future Research.

I have never filled in a consent form for a pap smear.

Tc

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »

Yellow flower.

If, as I think,  your referring particularly  to the "consent" aspect of the  form. I've never filled a consent form for a smear either.  In fact I'm realy surprised I didnt have to fill consent for my hormone implant, particularly as it's off  license and it is a surgical procedure. .  No consent for mirena coil either. Which I had expected as there can be complications.

Bu the specific question of Iwhy HRT has been  included in the  consent form which I think is what you're getting at (correct me if I'm wrong) .  I cant see it would be anything to do with the test itself. (Putting aside the  "small amount"   of radiation with mammogram as  I dont know enough about it to know if or why  HRT  use would be relevant to that.) .  If it is purely  information gathering around HRT use then it's interesting that they are doing it in routine breast screening setting  and not your smear tests.  Maybe you might find next smear it will be included too?   

I choose to use HRT   but I am minded to think  that ialthough hormone replacement in menopause   goes back before us, in some ways our generation are very much in the "learning curve" of HRT use just as we were with the contraceptive pill. 
X

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 01:01:10 PM »

:thankyou:   Tc - as an aside, anyone remember the female condom  ::) - seemed to go on for miles and miles and ..........

What did U decide yellow flower?

yellowflower

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 11:50:55 PM »

:thankyou:   Tc - as an aside, anyone remember the female condom  ::) - seemed to go on for miles and miles and ..........

What did U decide yellow flower?

HI CLKD. Excuse me is I sound dumb, but I am not sure what "decision" you mean?

yellowflower

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2020, 11:55:48 PM »

Yellow flower.

If, as I think,  your referring particularly  to the "consent" aspect of the  form. I've never filled a consent form for a smear either.  In fact I'm realy surprised I didnt have to fill consent for my hormone implant, particularly as it's off  license and it is a surgical procedure. .  No consent for mirena coil either. Which I had expected as there can be complications.

Bu the specific question of Iwhy HRT has been  included in the  consent form which I think is what you're getting at (correct me if I'm wrong) .  I cant see it would be anything to do with the test itself. (Putting aside the  "small amount"   of radiation with mammogram as  I dont know enough about it to know if or why  HRT  use would be relevant to that.) .  If it is purely  information gathering around HRT use then it's interesting that they are doing it in routine breast screening setting  and not your smear tests.  Maybe you might find next smear it will be included too?   

I choose to use HRT   but I am minded to think  that ialthough hormone replacement in menopause   goes back before us, in some ways our generation are very much in the "learning curve" of HRT use just as we were with the contraceptive pill. 
X

Hi TC
When we have paps in Australia, there is no form at all. I no longer have to have them as I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and the cervix was removed. On my very last pap smear results prior to my hysterectomy, they had also tested for the HPV virus and I was negative to all of them. I found this interesting because I got my results via email and I did not know they now tested for HPV so extensively. I was told that well over 90% of cervical cancers are caused by particular strains of the wart virus and this may be the only test done in the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3