Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Free breast screen is due. Questions on form made me wonder...  (Read 4812 times)

yellowflower

Free breast screen is due. Questions on form made me wonder...
« on: February 08, 2020, 02:56:36 AM »

So I have booked in for my free screen which you are eligible for every year after you turn 50. This will be my 3rd screen. You have to fill in a consent form prior to the mammogram and it was all about whether you or a direct family member have had ovarian cancer or breast cancer or are on HRT. A close friend of mine had clear mammograms for several years until the one she took after starting HRT a year earlier. She was diagnosed with an aggressive breast cancer that they said was due to HRT.  I intend to have a natural menopause anyway, but it did give me some food for thought.

Dotty

Re: Free breast screen is due. Questions on form made me wonder...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:01:23 AM »

https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/breast-cancer-hrt

Hi have a read of this article from Dr Newson x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 07:35:25 AM »

Quality of Life?   My breast lump was found on palpation whilst in the bath, non sinister until it got to histology.  Never showed on film.

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »

But there is no quality of life with no life.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »

I don't get you  :-\ we are either alive or dead [bit like sheep  ::)].  If we can enjoy the better times then quality if important.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 04:04:24 PM »

So how do they know that your breat cancer is caused by HRT? I have known four people who had breast cancer and none took HRT.

Sparrow

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 04:20:15 PM »

The risk of breast cancer in all women is 1 in 8.  Personally I wouldn't take anything that would increase that, even a tiny bit. 

Most women don't use HRT so of course most cancer is found in those that don't take it.  That's a matter of statistics not cause and effect.  And many have cancer before the menopause anyway.

If someone has been advised, by a medical professional,  not to take it because of their particular increased risk, I would never persuade them otherwise.  What a responsibility if they subsequently then developed cancer. I couldn't live with myself.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 04:33:01 PM »

When a doctor is talking sh*"t I would definitely pont it out. They can tell you there's an increased risk, they can't tell you HRT CAUSED the cancer.
Most of us increase our risk of cancer anyway, too little exercise, polluted environment, overweight, too much processed food etc etc. Many are bigger risk factors than transdermal hrt. Definitely makes sense to check yourself though and have mammograms.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »

I would never tell anyone they should take HRT it is a very personal choice, but i do get fed up with those who i have met in real life who lecture me about taking HRT but they drink, do no exercise and are overweight, all of which increase breast cancer risk.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 04:47:43 PM »

Also - until it is proven that HRT is totally responsible for breast cancer then I think that qualify of Life is important. 

I had 3 weeks of HRT years++ ago.  Never associated it with the lump found in the 1990s.  After surgery I was told by 'them', i.e. people that I sort of knew, that by having mammograms every 6 months then annually was putting me at risk.  Well I'm still here >wave<.  We sit at keyboards.  We have TVs lurking in the corner of the room.  Etc.. Etc.. Etc.. .........

It really is a personal choice.  I now get my mammos every 5 years ..........

Jari

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 08:19:43 PM »

I totally agree yellow flower.

I plunged into hrt which was a mistake for me. Anyway, I am now much better off going the natural route.

I still have the leaflet from my oestrogel pack.

It says: evidence suggests that using oest / prog increases risk of BC. Risk depends on how long you take it. The additional risk becomes clear within a few years. However it returns to normal risk after 5 years of stopping.

Even within 3 months of me taking oestrogel my breasts hardened and felt lumpy and they are never normally like that. It also states that you must tell them at mamogram if on hrt as hrt may increase density of breast tissue ( it did for me in 3 months) and may affect the outcome of mammogram. It may not detect lumps.

X

yellowflower

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 09:46:30 PM »

I totally agree yellow flower.

I plunged into hrt which was a mistake for me. Anyway, I am now much better off going the natural route.

I still have the leaflet from my oestrogel pack.

It says: evidence suggests that using oest / prog increases risk of BC. Risk depends on how long you take it. The additional risk becomes clear within a few years. However it returns to normal risk after 5 years of stopping.

Even within 3 months of me taking oestrogel my breasts hardened and felt lumpy and they are never normally like that. It also states that you must tell them at mamogram if on hrt as hrt may increase density of breast tissue ( it did for me in 3 months) and may affect the outcome of mammogram. It may not detect lumps.

X

I wont say exactly how I know this because I have been doxxed in the past, but doctors will never tell a women that HRT is safe. Having seen women with aggressive breast cancer and the destruction it causes to their lives, I am definitely going the natural route. That includes exercise and diet.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 10:09:10 PM »

And of course that is entirely your choice as it is of those of us who wish to use HRT.

sheila99

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 10:09:29 PM »

Absolutely your right to choose, you have to do what's best for you. I hope you have an easy ride. For me life was hardly worth living before hrt so I prefer to accept the risk. We're all different.

Jari

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »

Good to hear you are taking the natural route yellow flower. I am also.

With diet change, exercise and supplements I feel at a good point now. Menopause symptoms have very much lessened and I feel they are passing.

I also know the devastating life changes with BC.  I made a big mistake in rushing onto hrt for my hot flushes and in hindsight I realise if I had just dealt with them for a few months they would have become less and less of their own accord.. x
Pages: [1] 2 3