Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Positive Experiences coming off HRT after many years  (Read 31304 times)

dangermouse

Re: Positive Experiences coming off HRT after many years
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2020, 05:46:02 PM »

It could also be that in perimenopause that you get very high oestrogen moments that plummet to very low oestrogen levels which can cause severe symptoms at both ends. The levels may then recover to normal low levels, hence why the symptoms can go away. This is one of the reasons taking HRT in peri can make dosing confusing.

For those who get VA compared to those who don't, it could be that they naturally have drier tissues and so are more prone to this, in the same way that some people get osteoarthritis and some don't. The fact that systemic HRT doesn't cure VA must also mean it's not a pure oestrogen issue.

Sparrow

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2020, 06:22:25 PM »

I have always been 'over moist', in that area, necessitating the use of panty liners.   In fact I still do.  What you say makes a lot of sense.

Hurdity

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2020, 07:34:24 PM »

The fact that systemic HRT doesn't cure VA must also mean it's not a pure oestrogen issue.
...however local oestrogen almost always cures it in time at the right dose and with the right product(s) and sometimes in addition to systemic oestrogen - so it is an oestrogen issue....

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2020, 09:41:05 PM »

Im sure the oestrogen really helps as it is a tissue stimulant but surely if it was from our own oestrogen no longer supplying the tissues the systemic oestrogen would be enough?

Thats all I mean, as there are probably other factors at play. I suppose in a similar way to sugar helping a diabetic dip even though its not actually caused by a lack of sugar.

The cause may of course be ageing and there isn't much we can do about that. So yes treating the symptoms is sometimes the only way.

I did try the local oestrogen after a bladder infection wouldn't go but it gave me a dry mouth so just occasionally using the Yes moisturiser instead although it seems to have settled now.

Joaniepat

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2020, 10:10:25 PM »

Systemic oestrogen does not necessarily benefit VA (or genitourinary syndrome of menopause (GSM), as we ought to call it). Many women need to use local oestrogen, as it generally requires targeted treatment. Some sufferers cannot, or do not want to, use systemic, but still gain benefit from local treatment.

JP x

sued

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 10:01:20 AM »

Hi Stellajane, well I hope you don't have to wait much longer for your appointment, shame it's been cancelled a couple of times as well.
For me, while the hot sweats are uncomfortable, it's the lack of sleep which is my main problem, and yes I really hope I am not like this for the rest of my life because is unbearable sometimes.
I'm going to google menopause clinic near me I think and see about going. X

Jari

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 10:25:26 AM »

Hi Sued, I was having intense hot flushes/night sweats around the time my periods stopped.

I decided to change my diet a bit and adopt a hormone balancing diet. Since then my symptoms have very much reduced. I do still get a couple of hot flushes a day but they are not bad at all.

Before this diet change the hot flushes were intense. They are now mild and far fewer.

I can not prove that it was the diet change that has done this and it may be that my menopause symptoms were going to pass naturally, but I am definitely sticking to the diet.

X

Kathleen

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »

Hello ladies.

Stellajane - so sorry to hear that your night sweats and flushes are back at full force.  Will you return to the gel or try to ride it out a little longer?

I have been off  HRT for eight months and I'm having various issues including irritability and tearfulness. My GP assures me that symptoms resolve at some point but when?

Take care ladies.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2020, 01:00:54 PM »

So sorry to hear this stellajane and you have my every sympathy....your experience is just what I dread as I fear that I will be the same going by limited past experience.....the skin too (on face for me).

What is the answer - apart from hysterectomy? Have just posted about this on Cassie's thread.

Yes QOL FTW!!!

Hurdity x

Jari

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2020, 07:01:54 PM »

Hi Stellajane, sorry the nasty flushes are back.
I had very intense flushes also and sweats, so I do sympathise.
I still get one or two flushes a day, but they are so much milder now, since stopping hrt over a year ago..

I think you took hrt for many years? it's just a thought, but as you have kept your estrogen levels higher because of the years of hrt, I am just guessing/wondering if it will take a little while for those hrt estrogen levels to reduce and get to your natural current level.
Once this happens, I hope for you that these symptoms will fade away.. I would definitely give it a few months before you can tell how your natural hormone level is? I really hope it will improve for you soon. X

Alua197

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2020, 10:36:35 PM »

As an er doctor explained to me once, menopause is like a drug withdrawal only the drug that we have been on most of our lives is estrogen. Like all drug withdrawals, some suffer more than others, some can get off and stay off and others cant. Estrogen in whatever form is like a drug to our brains and bodies. Reagrdless of how it is made it is synthesized in a lab and withdrawing from it will cause withdrawal symptoms. I am now six months off hrt. I didnt think i would survive mentally or physically without it, i am still here. yes it is very tough some days and my symptoms were horrific. Yes i get hot flushes and other symptoms but its not as intense as when peri hit and i was in and out of the hosoital er like a yo yo. I am hoping yours will also be tolerable in time. X

Kathleen

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2020, 11:34:05 AM »

Hello again ladies.

A friend told me that for every year you are on a drug, it takes a month to come off it.  That sounds like a bit of an old wives tale but she assured me a it was told to her by a doctor.  Incidentally I believe that chemotherapy drugs take a year to clear the system.

Stellajane - I thought of you last night when I went to bed and I'm so sorry that you are suffering. I'm fortunate not to have disturbed nights ( hope I haven't just jinxed it)  but I do feel horrible during the day with the jitters, irritability and the ever present tearfulness.  I think setting a target is a good idea. I have an event to attend later this year and I really want to be doing better by then.

Wishing you well ladies.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2020, 04:34:44 PM »

I am so sorry to hear this stellajane - I was really hoping it would be different for you this time! Also for the very selfish reason that it would give me impetus to try - but provided my health lasts out I think I will keep going for a wee while longer, much as I hate the bloody bleeds - and prog itself and withdrawal....!!!! Good luck with the doc and do report back!

Hurdity x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »

I think I?ll be lifer too.
I tried weaning myself off the other month.
Only lasted about 9/10 days, the horrible depression and rage, and crying got to me.
Thought I was having a breakdown! ( again!)
Couldn't and wouldn't go any further with it, so went back to my normal dose.
Within days, I was back to myself.
I just wanted to see what would happen if I reduced it, if I could manage on a lower dose, but the effects of it was just too much, especially at this time in my life, with MIL to look after. 🤷‍♀️

Kathleen

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2020, 01:27:08 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Stellajane - I'm so sorry that your symptoms have become unbearable and I completely understand your decision to resume HRT.  Every day, well actually several times a day, I wonder if I can continue without HRT. 

Jillydoll -  I am not surprised that you went back to your full dose, especially with the extra stresses you have. I am eight months without HRT and tearfulness has recently become more intense along with low mood,  irritability and anxiety. I'm not sure how much of this I can tolerate so I hope I see some improvement soon!

Recently my middle aged, male GP reassured me that all symptoms resolve at some stage. Of course he had no idea when and neither does anyone else in my opinion.

Wishing you all well ladies and sending hugs.

K.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6