Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Positive Experiences coming off HRT after many years  (Read 32252 times)

debbieyellow

• First Flush
Re: Positive Experiences coming off HRT after many years
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2020, 03:41:48 PM »

quote author=Hurdity link=topic=46929.msg754965#msg754965 date=1581095231]

Hi, New to this forum and not 100% clear how to put a post on here! Desperate to off load especially as I am 6 months of HRT and suffering far too much and not sure whether to go back on HRT but I get told that if I went back on it then I would still go through all the symptoms again no matter what age I stop!! I am 56yrs and was classed as premenopausal
 around 7 years ago and went on HRT as a result.  Apologies if Ive posted in the wrong place!

Hi stellajane - you might want to also post in the main section as I imagine there will be some very helpful posts about how to come off and how people felt with different ways of doing it. I am also interested in this as I am sure I will try to come off once more at some point as I get more and more fed up each cycle with the progesterone and the bleed - not fun in your 60's as you know. We've both been doing this a long time!

The only time I tried to come off it was a sudden stop - basically ripped off a (Evorel) conti patch (my first after trying to change to conti HRT after cyclical HRT) in disgust because I got a migraine the day after I started it, and it was the progesterone withdrawal migraines from the cyclical HRT that led my doc to suggest the conti. So I went from 50 mcg to zero. Nothing for a few weeks but the symptoms just crept back - the flushes began to appear, and then the night sweats and then I got symptoms that I hadn't had before starting HRT - like lower back ache and pelvic pain. Also the menopausal acne/rosacea/hot itchy patches or whatever it was started coming back on my cheeks. Really not pleasant - all of these symptoms disappeared when I went back onto it.

Also when I tried to reduce (from 50 to 37.5) after doc suggested my dose was too high after I turned 60 - again after a few weeks even this small decrease led to my getting warm and restless at night so I went back up to 50 and all was OK again. I've never given it long enough to see if the symptoms subside or not - mainly because I was working in a demanding role where I needed to be on the ball and give out lots of energy, so mopping my brow and flaking out just didn't come into it. I'm retired now but still that state of being does not appeal - even going through it for say 9 months!

I really dread the thought of stopping and don't know when I'm going to take the plunge but I may wait until I'm 70 if I live that long. Whatever happens I plan to do it very gradually starting with reducing the testosterone (but also can't face the thought of all those aches and pains again) and then the oestrogen - and I will be glad to see the back of the progesterone.

You are brave for taking this step so all the best with it. Be sure to let us know - and in the main menopause board where more members will see your posts! I will be very interested to read how you get on!

Hurdity x
[/quote]

kdee69

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2021, 09:50:57 AM »

Hi - I wanted to detail my experience about stopping HRT. Over the last 5-6 years I have taken first taken tablets but then in a desire to come off HRT (due to horrendous migraines), I stopped for approx 7-8 months (sheer HELL) and then went onto oestrogel and (eventually) provera.
I felt wonderful apart from the migraines, which unfortunately did not abate and got worse.
I am 56 now and figured I was probably through the worst of it (though how can you ever tell) so at the beginning of this year, I decided to reduce my dose in order to taper off completely. This is the only way the migraines were ever going to abate.
I reduced my dose from 2 pumps to one every third day, then one every other day and then one per day over a 2 month period. I then skipped every third day and so on for another 2 months till eventually I was down to one pump per week. Then stopped completely.
What came back - I count myself extremely fortunate that all that happened was that I get hot flushes but nowhere near bad enough for them to disable me. I did however, notice a level of paranoia and mood dip occurring (which I suspected would happen) so with the assistance and advice of a wonderful practice nurse at my surgery, started taking 10mg Citalopram (which I believe is the lowest dose you can take). My mood picked up tremendously. I did a couple of months in try and reduce the citalopram dose, but the paranoia etc came back. My plan is to stick with it until the hot flushes start to subside and then try and taper off.
I have started taking high strength turmeric, omega 3 and calcium as supplements but have noticed my joints are definitely stiffer. I'm going to start a separate thread for help with that. The great news is, my migraines have all but gone.
please do ask if you want any further info :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:52:52 AM by kdee69 »

Ruralrach

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »

Hi,this sounds just like me.Stopped hrt last Sepr due to awful migraines.All ok until June 21 and flushes are back also insomnia only slept 5 -6 hrs most nights.
Im now wondering about seeing it through for another month,if im constantly tired might have to restart hrt,however i dont want the migraines back.
If i can sleep i can handle most of the problems.I might look at a low dose as at 55 im hoping most things will settle in few months!

KarineT

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2021, 12:03:51 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Why can HRT make things worse and it's supposed to make you feel better?  Where is the logic in this?

Beaker

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2021, 08:18:39 AM »

Hi Karine T,

The body is as complex and as individual as a fingerprint.  So no matter how well-designed and well-intentioned the HRT - there will always be those who feel worse on it.  I struggled on various formulations for years.  I got a mix of painful varicose veins, migraines, raised blood pressure, mood swings, terrible anxiety, and finally when I was changed onto Oestrogel - I had terrible acid indigestion and nausea which resolved when I stopped the HRT.  I would like to be able to continue on it forever but it just doesn't suit me. 

In the meantime, my twin sister is sailing along, very happily on HRT without a single side effect.  Similarly, two friends are very happy on it.  However there is another friend who had to stop it because of torrential periods.  So you see?  Never plain sailing when you're talking about the human body with its diversity and fluctuations.   
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]