Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help with stress and anxiety.  (Read 4637 times)

Sparrow

Help with stress and anxiety.
« on: February 05, 2020, 04:45:45 PM »

Hi all,

I thought I would share these two books with you.  My son bought them for me for Xmas and the are really helpful if you suffer with stress or anxiety.  I did not know whether to post in Bookworm or the Alternatives section (members aren't interested in alternatives apparently), so I shall post in both.  They are:

ZEN, The Art of Simple Living, by Shunmyo Masuno. and

IKIGA, The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, by Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles.

Both are really useful books for getting a healthy aspect on life and helping you through troubled times.

I got them out today as I had my first panic attack for about 3 years today.  Hayho :(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:00:46 PM by Shadyglade »

Hurdity

Re: Help with stress and anxiety.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »

Hi all,

I thought I would share these two books with you.  My son bought them for me for Xmas and the are really helpful if you suffer with stress or anxiety.  I did not know whether to post in Bookworm or the Alternatives section (members aren't interested in alternatives apparently), so I shall post in both.  They are:

What a thing to say Shadyglade, while at the same time making a helpful post with some interesting book titles. Why the unnecessary dig? Many members are very interested in methods of dealing with stress and anxiety that do not involve medication, ie mental strategies that can be used with or without HRT that might mean they do not need to take anti-depressants for example. You do members a disservice with this comment.

Thanks for posting this information and suggestions.

Hurdity  x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 08:07:30 PM »

What triggered it Shadyglade?  I've been 15 months without resorting to emergency meds but it's in the back of my mind that it might happen and it floors me within seconds.

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 08:08:48 PM »

Hurdity, only repeating what I was told by another member.  So perhaps they shouldn't have said it to me?  I don't actually agree the the statement but unfortunately some appear to.

Shame isn't it?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:41:35 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 08:10:50 PM »

What triggered it?  Have you missed a meal during the last 5-6 days? 

Sparrow

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 08:11:06 PM »

What triggered it Shadyglade?  I've been 15 months without resorting to emergency meds but it's in the back of my mind that it might happen and it floors me within seconds.

A private problem plus unpleasantness on here certainly didn't help.

Such is life ::)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 08:12:16 PM »

Nowt is private on here  ;D - hadn't you noticed  :lol:

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 08:20:26 AM »

Oh, I forgot to say.  Both books available in Waterstones.  I may post a few extracts from the Zen book later.

Feeling better today.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 09:23:43 AM »

Reach above it?  Don't fuel the debate? 

Jari

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 10:43:42 AM »

Those look very interesting books Shadyglade.

Sorry you've had a panic attack. It must be horrible. I just researched it a bit and one thing that stood out was remembering to breathe, if it happens. I'm sure you know that already but just incase it helps..

There is a programme on at 5pm on CBBC about a girl on a mission to deal with her anxiety.

X

Sparrow

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 11:20:19 AM »

Thank you Jari,

Much better today.  Stressful day tomorrow though, will be glad when it's over. ::)

Sparrow

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »

As promised there is an extract for the Zen book.

46. DO NOT FEAR CHANGE
Cast off your attachment to the past
There is beauty to be found in change

With the arrival of spring, the glory of the cherry blossoms in full bloom makes the heart leap.

The tightly closed buds open up, and then - in what seems like no time at all - the blossoms are at their peak.  But in less than a week, the petals begin to fall, and all too soon the cherry trees are sprouting leaves.  The brief scattering of petals is itself graceful.  It is a constant and ever-changing scene.  And the beauty of it all is captivating.

What the Japanese prize most is the fragility of the cherry blossoms' beauty.  The blossoms are lovely because of their evanescence - we sense in them the ephemerality of life. It is said that this appreciation of the ephemeral is what enabled Zen Buddhism to take root and spread throughout Japan.  There is, in fact, a deep connection between Zen thought and the reverence for cherry blossoms.

It is the same with our lives.  Everything is constantly in flux.  There are changes as we age and changes in our surroundings.

There is nothing to fear in these changes.

A supple mind accepts change and is not attached to the past.  Rather than lamenting change, it finds new beauty and hope in it. 

That is a life to which to aspire.

Hope you like and enjoy this :).  Link to the book in the first post on this tread.

Jari

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 11:57:37 AM »

Lovely and so true! X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 03:20:43 PM »

I fear panic attacks.  I don't worry about change other than panic attacks will stop me doing what I want to do!  When I'm OK I can take on the World, so watch out  ;D

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »

I used to have a sound app with tracks like the sounds of waves breaking over pebbles.  I'd listen when I couldn't sleep but now I just listen to BBC Sounds.

I love change CLKD.  I get very restless and bored with too much of the same.
Pages: [1] 2