Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Early menopause  (Read 544 times)

Queenie_30

Early menopause
« on: January 27, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I think I am starting to go through ealry menopause, but I feel like I am being dismissed by my GP due to my age (40). However, all lot of my symptoms point to early menopause and wondering how I can cope (or have I just read to much!). I get night sweats and headaches (not my usual migraines) and a lot of lower back ache. I have mood swings (feeling overwhelmed and very emotional) as well as feeling forgetful and/or confused. I am lucky and have a very patient boyfriend but coping with these physical and mental issues is a challenge, especially as I am unsure what steps to take next. Can anyone advise, please?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Early menopause
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »

Yep.  Your GP is out of date.

There is no such thing as early menopause .  Girls can have 1 period and then nothing else, some don't ever have a bleed.  Periods vary and some ladies may get to The Change from late 30s though there is a mean age of 52 [I think].  There is the daisy web-site for early menopause as well as advice here.

Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  Browse round. Make notes. 

How are your periods?  Confusion is 'normal'  ::) we have a thread 'doing stupid things'  :-\ and discuss most topics even menopause ;-).

Do you have a Practice Nurse, maybe ask for a well woman check. Blood pressure, weight, general talk about diet and exercise as well as menopause.  HRT can protect heart and bones and do read the threads on vaginal atrophy  :o  ::)

Ask away!   :welcomemm:

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 06:28:54 PM »

Great advice clkd, I agree,women can go through meno at any age,my friend was 38 when she became menopausal but there can be other things that cause your symptoms so you GP really should do some tests,a simple blood test can tell him/her many things,stand your ground and tell your dr you want some tests done,as clkd says,so so many drs are out of touch when it comes to menopause

Baby

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 08:08:38 PM »

Started working with a new girl at work who is 43 and I have diagnosed her with meno. She has been to docs and he says she's depressed. Her periods really heavy and erratic. Crying on and off, cant sleep at night cos she's hot. Doc never mentioned menopause to her. She didnt think you could be in meno if you are still having periods. I told her that's what I always thought too.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 08:49:58 PM »

Get that lass on here Baby ?  Like many I thought that The Change is loss of periods and possibly hot flushes, however  >:(

Queenie_30

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 09:07:09 PM »

Thank you!

I haven't had a period for sometime due to the type of contraceptives I have had, but I have had blood tests and according to the GP, all is ok. I have suffered from depression before and I know its not that. I am worried that this is what they will say to fob me off. My diet is good and slowly getting back into the excericsing again now that Christmas has gone.

Do any of you think it is worth getting a referral to a Menopause clinic? I

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 09:47:41 AM »

Yep.  If your GP is less than useless about menopause.  Make that list: food/symptoms/mood for a while so that you have a chart.

Hormonal blood tests are reliably un-reliable!