Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Pattern of cycles before menopause  (Read 1500 times)

Jett

Pattern of cycles before menopause
« on: January 26, 2020, 02:10:30 PM »

Hi

My cycles seem to be getting further and further apart.  I am peri menopausal.  I am trying to figure out if I am getting closer to my periods stopping all together.  They stopped for 4 months last year then came back.  The last few cycles have been 33 days 38 days and currently on 45 days.  Does anyone know if they keep getting further apart until they stop altogether?

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but I do t have anyone I can ask.  I am 49 and feel like I am about 7 to 5 years into this.  I feel like all the hormones are building up to a period but then it just doesn't come. There is no release valve, and I feel myself mentally going into a complete meltdown.  I am just wondering how much longer it will go on for?

Any experiences or advice gratefully received!

Jett xxx

Dierdre

Re: Pattern of cycles before menopause
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 02:44:40 PM »

Welcome to the forum Jett, everyone is different, I went for 15 months and then started having regular periods again, then went another 8 months and had one more then stopped.. Before that it was years of somtimes going for months with nothing then having a period every two weeks. There's no set pattern really and you could be a few more years yet.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:51:38 PM by Dierdre »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »

Mine waxed and waned  ::). 2 the point that I forgot all about monthly bleeds then hey presto! Bugga  ;D. A few would arrive regularly.  Then nowt.

The flow remained light but fortunately no pain, I had suffered badly most of my menstrual life  :'(.

It took 2-3 years B4 I realised that they had finally stopped but I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years  :D.

Jett

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 03:41:56 PM »

Thanks both so much for your replies, it's interesting to hear how it has gone for each of you and also that there was a no precise way to know! Sending all best wishes to you both xxx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 04:12:12 PM »

Browse round.   Make notes! particularly about vaginal atrophy. 

Jett

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »

Yes, thanks so much,  I have started to do that.  I am already having issues with VA and trying to use the Yes products to help - they seem to help sometimes but reading with interest how other folks are trying to deal with this. picking up loads of good info xxx

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 04:25:49 PM »

Hi

My cycles seem to be getting further and further apart.  I am peri menopausal.  I am trying to figure out if I am getting closer to my periods stopping all together.  They stopped for 4 months last year then came back.  The last few cycles have been 33 days 38 days and currently on 45 days.  Does anyone know if they keep getting further apart until they stop altogether?

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but I do t have anyone I can ask.  I am 49 and feel like I am about 7 to 5 years into this.  I feel like all the hormones are building up to a period but then it just doesn't come. There is no release valve, and I feel myself mentally going into a complete meltdown.  I am just wondering how much longer it will go on for?

Any experiences or advice gratefully received!

Jett xxx
Yes mine did. First the periods got gradually lighter until they only lasted 1 to 3 days and very light by day 2 and then less frequent until a 7 or 8 month gap and then stopped. That was 5 or 6 years ago so I was nearly 51 or 52.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 04:40:22 PM »

Jett - get treatment for the atrophy now.  The sooner it is tackled the quicker the symptoms are eased.  4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 09:51:13 AM »

Oh Avalon my heart goes out to you.   :bighug:

Vaginal atrophy mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well  >:(.  Many GPs simply don't 'get it'.  Fortunately mine did.  A urine sample must be sent to a Lab. for growing, to see which bugs, if any, are causing problems.  The dip-stick test isn't good enough but ati-biotics continue to be doled out which do help symptoms.  So appropriate VA treatment should be considered, sooner rather than later.

Good Luck. 

Kmorris

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »

Hello Jett,
the same happened to me, but the very last period was a long one ( around three weeks), and at times heavy. I remember becoming worried and was about to make an appt with the Doctor, and then it all just stopped.That was my last one.