Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Supplements, vitamins, exercise. What "natural" approach are you taking?  (Read 5374 times)

yellowflower

Hi ladies.
I take a multi vitamin and a magnesium tablet every day along with a high fruit diet. I also like to walk at least 6000 steps every day.

What is your routine for a "natural" approach to menopause?

Hurdity

Re: Supplements, vitamins, exercise. What "natural" approach are you taking?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:40:18 PM »

Hi yewllowflower

I am a great believe in things as natural as possible! :)

So I prefer to get most of my nutrients as far as possible naturally from my diet without supplements. Vit D can be a problem at this time of year depending where in the world you live, your skin colour and how much time you spend outside so here, where there is not much sun at this time of year - I take a bit of cod liver oil once a week to top up vit D as well as oily fish like smoked salmon or smoked mackerel. Some foods are fortified with vit D too (eg breakfast cereals etc). Now and again if I remember I have a swig of iron tonic - again as a top-up as my diet I am sure is pretty balanced in this. Lots of fruit - yes!!! I eat tons of fruit and veg - veg forms the main part of our eve meal as well as soup or salad for lunch and always fruit for breakfast...

Exercise is great - I go to 2 exercise classes per week and also go for brisk walks for 45 mins minimum at least twice a week. That doesn't sound much but I am up and about quite a lot of the rest of the time - fetching/stacking wood, housework etc. In the spring through to autumn gardening of course.

6000 steps sounds like a lot!

What else - well I think it is tough on our bodies to live for 40 years possible more in a hormone deficient state (lack of oestrogen) so I replace this as naturally as I can with body-identical oestrogen (estradiol) taken through the skin via patch, as well as body-identical progesterone ( taken vaginally).

Can't think of anything else except minimal alcohol though enough to keep me relaxed - usually only at weekends - except over Christmas, when family comes down and on holiday (when it's every day) and during january ( which is dry!).

Fresh air, relaxation, nature, pets, music - live and recorded, a good night's sleep, coffee/lunch with friends - generally trying to reduce stress - easy now I'm retired but less so when I was working and going through peri!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:06:49 PM »

A good overall healthy diet with lots of treats  ;).

Gardening is my go-2, working in Mum's garden for 3 days recently made me realise that it doesn't matter where, as long as I am: weeding, moving plants, cutting back, tying in ........... fresh air, sunshine or fresh air and birds singing.  We grow a lot of our soft fruits, as much peas/beans as possible and buy as locally as we are able to.  DH loves fish [yuk] and we eat a mix of chicken in various guises and occasionally fresh red meat.  Thought I find that the latter makes me 'constipated'.

I don't walk as much as I ought.  I probably don't drink as much as I ought.  We spend a lot of time by our ponds.  Sitting.  Watching.  Planning.

Reading.  Music.  Seeing people occasionally.  I needed VitD capsules a couple of Summers ago and recognise the signs.  Knowing when to say 'no' helps a lot ;-)

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 09:10:31 PM »

Vit D, magnesium and the B vitamins I would recommend.  Especially B12.

Also gently exercise and mindfulness.

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »

Vit D, magnesium, probiotic. Generally healthy diet, no alcohol, pilates, walks & bike rides!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »

:o. don't do snakes  :-X nor octopus  :-X

We have a dog breed thread here somewhere  ;)

Kazz1969

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 08:06:10 AM »

Hi

I take a good multi vitamin, DIM, nascent iodine, Apple Cider Vinegar, Agnus Castus and Passion Flower. I also use a natural progesterone cream every other day, which helps keep the hot flushes and night sweats away!! Yes ladies!! PROGESTERONE NOT OESTROGEN for hot 🥵 flushes!! And 'what's the first thing they give you if you go to the doctors?? Bloomin? oestrogen!!! Xx

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »

I bought some once but was too scared to use it.  ::). I'd have no chance with HRT.

catlover68

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 06:07:14 AM »

I cannot take hrt as it makes me feel so ill. I take a very low dose of citalopram for anxiety and low mood which works for me. I also take menopace,1000mgs starflower oil,green tea supplement and turmeric tablet for my joints. I'm also loosely following slimming world healthy eating and have reduced my sugar intake a lot which I've found has helped me lots. I'm cooking hearty meals and loosing weight slowly. I'm sleeping better and generally feel ok. I was feeling terrible this time 3 years ago so think I was definitely peri menopausal and the last 6 months things have sort of calmed down. I still get days where I feel crap and still have hot flushes but I try to ride through it.

catlover68

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 01:05:01 AM »

Hi Avalon it's the oestrogen that doesn't agree with me. I got awful migraines,dizziness and almost like I couldn't breathe properly whilst taking it. I've got mirena coil and have no issues with that. So no option for me but to go natural and ride it through.

Jari

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 11:24:28 AM »

Hi yellowflower

I take a multi vitamin for 40+ women, omega 3, magnesium.

Do you have a fitbit? I would like to get one as it would be interesting to keep account of my steps.

I do walk a lot and tend to do approx 10000 steps when I do, but 'that's not every day. I know this because my phone calculates it, but I think a fit bit would be good as I don't always carry my phone eg around house up and down stairs, gardening etc..

I do not eat meat and am also eating far less dairy. Trying many non animal recipes and I am feeling very healthy currently.

I also try to have ground flaxseeds on muesli in the mornings. Ground in coffee grinder. Great source of omega 3.

X

Kmorris

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 05:48:49 PM »

Hello Ladies,
I've just begun (Monday, this week) taking Sea Buckthorn oil soft gel capsules 500mg. It says on the box to take two but I've only been taking one a day just to test them out....I sometimes have a reaction to things, even herbal.... but I've noticed that you can't take them for long as they can cause other problems.
I was hoping that they may help with VA and sort of oil me internally so to speak.

I am 63 next month and I'm also beginning to think that I should perhaps be careful about osteoperosis as well,... or have I left it too late now? 
Can anyone recommend a good all round vitamin or would a good Cod Liver oil capsule be better? I think you can take these all the time. Years ago I gave  them to my Labrador and he was always fit!  :)

Sparrow

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 06:18:41 PM »

Hi Kmorris,
You are a similar age to me so I can relate. I'm not sure about the VA because I have never had it but I know there are over the counter creams you can get.  Yes, is one name that rings a bell.

As for the osteoporosis, is there a family history of this.  I have read that lack of dairy food in children and teenagers can cause problems later.  If you lactose intolerant that could be a problem.

As for fish oil, I buy from Healthspan.  I can't swollow large capsules and they do a liquid that actually tastes nice.

Hope that helps.

Jari

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 06:25:11 PM »

Hi Kmorris,

I heard that sea buckthorn is very good. Isn't it omega 7? I can't remember.

I take Viridian 40+ multi for women. It has good ingredients and I also take a vegan omega 3.

Do you drink 2 litres of water a day. This is great for hydration.

X

Kmorris

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 06:45:00 PM »

Hello Jari,
thank you for your reply.
I am taking a note of what you take and will look out for them.
Yes, Sea buckthorn is omega 7, .... I only know about it from reading on this forum.... So I ordered some off the internet.

Unfortunately, I have taken my health for granted these past couple of years and now some unpleasant things have taken me by surprise. Having said that I do try to walk 5 miles about 3 or 4 times a week and I am not overweight. I think a little bit of health anxiety has crept in recently, but maybe it's a good thing in a way as its given me a bit of a wake up call.
Pages: [1] 2