Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: weight gain /loss and which HRT are you on  (Read 1805 times)

Sammiejane

weight gain /loss and which HRT are you on
« on: January 24, 2020, 11:20:04 AM »

hi there

i read and watched various videos with some saying hrt dosent cause weight gain and others saying it does an average of 18lbs in first year !

can i ask ladies what your experiences are of weight gain/loss and which hrt regime you are on x

thank you

QueenofReds3

Re: weight gain /loss and which HRT are you on
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »

Hi Sammiejane

I gained nearly two stone in peri menopause. I am now post meno, I started taking Femoston Conti last may. I have lost a stone and a half. But I am sure that it is different for others depending on which HRT they are on and if it suits them.
I have been thinking about stopping but I have a appointment with the doctor next week to discuss.
I am not sleeping very well at all. I was made redundant before Christmas so I am looking for work but with lack of sleep I am not functioning too well and have had enough. I have tried all sorts herbal, sleeping tabs, mindfulness but to no avail. On a good night I get four hours sleep.
I know I am rambling from your question but seeing a lot of posts from ladies on the forum who are in the same boat.
To be honest I would rather gain a few pounds then have this sleep deprivation. But 'that's my view. This meno lark is rubbish and I feel for all of you having to go through with it. I have just finished a book which referred to a character going through the change as a lunatic, it was written in the fifties but it did take me back a bit.
Sending hugs xxx

Mogster71

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »

HI Sammie Jane

I've not noticed any fluctuations yet really, but then my symptoms weren't being managed that well with tablets, and I've just moved on to oestrogen patches this week, with utrogestan to follow at the end of the month. I've bucked the trend and lost weight in peri through having no appetite with headaches and nausea so if it helps me there I will be chuffed to bits.

I don't personally know anyone who has gained through using HRT but most people in my age group have gained while in peri. x

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 04:57:27 PM »

Hi Sammiejane

There are lots of threads about this if you type it into the search bar. Personally I think it does make you put weight on (although this varies from person to person). I put 9lb on within 2 weeks of starting hrt. I remember years ago being told the contraceptive pill had a steroidal effect, and even though hrt has less hormones it must be the case to a certain extent.

I think it's worth it though to feel well x

Penelope

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 06:21:05 PM »

Hi Sammiejane I am on continuous Kliovance I have lost 4 kg in 51 days.
It's  just like it's flicked the appetite switch off.I must say I am enjoying it.xx
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:36:57 PM by Penelope »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »

I have also lost weight. Ive lost 18lbs in 18 months and really don't want to lose any more. Most of my friends have been putting weight on and just think I'm lucky, but it does worry me a bit. I do have less of an appetite than I used to have, but now consciously eat higher fat items. I never thought Id ever wear size 8 jeans, have always been size 12! I'm on evorel sequi.

Bring me Sunshine

• Menopause really isnt that bad. said no woman ever
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »

Hi Sammie Jane

When I started this menopause journey I put on a stone and a half  during 2017/2018.  Particularly around the middle.  I could grab a handful of fat.  I bought a book called fat around the middle something like that by Dr Marilyn Glenville, it was interesting and i was told it was nothing to do with taking hrt it was the age and going through menopause and stress that higher the corisol levels that put the weight on.  I tried everything to get it off running, not eating that much nothing made any difference when I could shift excess weight easy in the pre menopause days.  Then I read a blog called meno and Me by a personal trainer called Jane Dowling.  She had put on weight exactly the same in menopause, 2 stone I think.  She said you have to do weight bearing exercises,but particularly weight training(didnt have to be heavy weights).  i also bought a weighted hula hoop.  I started all this at the beginning of this year and in 3 months the weight came off and im back to what i weighed before the menopause.  Weight training made the difference and hula hopping to get the middle fat off.  Hope that helps xx