Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Trying again.  (Read 723 times)

kerdub

Trying again.
« on: January 17, 2020, 10:50:10 PM »

Hi all,

I'm new here so not sure how things work but I thought I'd try again as I didn't get much of a response to my last post.

As a recap, I am 46 and - according to the 12 month rule - postmenopause. I have just gone through my third round of postmenopausal bleeding (14 months between each 'cycle') and am waiting for a tvus as a write this. Had one for the first bout and everything came back fine (no biospy). I ignored the second one.

I am really hoping to connect to someone who repeatedly experienced breaks of a year of more between periods/bleeding. I've seen a few people here suggest that before 50 you need to go 2 years without a period but I can't find anything online to back that up. Everything I have read says that no matter what age menopause happens at 12 months without a period and that postmenopausal bleeding is not "normal".

I've gone through all the perimenopause symptoms etc without HRT (although now having read more about early menopause I'm wondering if I should have been/be on HRT - my GP seems to know very little about early menopause) and my fsh levels 3 years ago indicated I was on the threshold of menopause.

I'm feeling super anxious about my test today and don't really know if I can't handle this level of stress every year until this sorts itself out. Not to mention that the period completely wiped me out - super heavy flow causing anemia, nausea, extreme fatigue, etc. It would help a lot to hear stories from others who have gone through this. At this point I'm feeling like if they can't find a cause I am going to ask for hysterectomy.

sheila99

Re: Trying again.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 11:27:23 PM »

Sorry you didn't get any replies. It seems that sometimes the Unread Posts doesn't work properly and they get lost. I take the 'facts' with a pinch of salt as they aren't always right. They say everyone is menopausal at 54 yet I was regular at 57 before going on HRT. The 12 month rule is an artificial one, your body will stop when it's good and ready not when someone tells you it will. If it feels like a proper period it's unlikely to be anything to worry about. I would be more concerned if you bleed without any symptoms. Perhaps you should discuss hrt, as you say you're young to be be menopausal and hrt will protect your bones and heart and a regular bleed or use of mirena may stop the very heavy bleed. A heavy bleed after many months isn't unusual though normally within the year.
Think long and hard before you have a hysterectomy and do your research. It carries it's own risk and increases the liklihood of prolapse which might bring you bigger problems.