Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hi Im new, just diagnosed and im really annoyed  (Read 1257 times)

SacredG

Hi Im new, just diagnosed and im really annoyed
« on: January 07, 2020, 07:54:50 PM »

I suppose the anger will subside once the HRT kicks in, so the husband says, dont do anything rash he says, let the magic do it stuff....lets just start afresh and get on with a new chapter of our lives......

I am 47 and 9 years post hysterectomy; they left my Ovaries behind. In 9 Years, I have suffered increasing symptoms, year after year getting achier, more tired, more anxious, more breakdowns, and increasing weight gain despite being very active.

I have had a diagnosis of IBS, Thyroid, lack of Vitamin D, Carpal tunnel etc etc my fault sometimes, I drink too much, I eat too much, I don't exercise enough. Every part of my being, I've scrutinised and micromanaged. Cut down Alcohol, started cycling, moving more, eating less, even started playing Netball - I'm 47 not played since I left school, gotta a job (after being a stay at home Mum) and still felt the same...to be precise SHIT, FAT & TIRED & in PAIN.
16 months ago, after me complaining (again) I dont feel any different after being on thyroxine, and my pains are so bad I could cry my GP referred me to the Hospital. A consultant told me I was ''probably'' menopausal but my thyroid function was the biggest issue and that's been addressed with thyroxine, he referred me to an osteopath for my painful wrists (lets ignore painful legs hips etc), following a discharge letter to my GP which never mentioned menopause at all. 
The Osteo Lady who was lovely spent the next few months ruling carpal tunnel and Ulna and other stuff, in the end she advised me to keep a diary. 4 months of diary entries told her my symptoms where cyclical not mechanical and she sent a letter to my doctor.

I had my GP appointment yesterday I walked in and she said... ‘'You need HRT''. Well Shut the front door!  Then - ''I dont even think you are Hyperthyroid I think its all been menopausal, the menopause causes thyroid disfunction you know!''......I broke down in tears. Shes not my usual GP I had booked in with a senior partner. She also was surprised I wasn't given HRT after the hysterectomy.

YES I'm happy cause I feel I have finally been listened to. but I'm also bloody annoyed >:(. I've lost 8 years of my life to this sh*t and it could have been sorted if the GP's I had seen, in my surgery had just used some Joined up thinking. I must have said on every appointment, are you sure im not going through the menopause, and all I got was ‘'no your too young!''  and they ‘'left your ovaries behind''

What would you do? shall I just accept it and move on? Maybe I will but I just needed to vent
Thanks for listening......
 >:(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 08:22:29 PM by SacredG »

Hurdity

Re: Hi Im new, just diagnosed and im really annoyed
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »

Hi SacredG

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

If you are still fat as you put it despite exercise and eating the right diet ie not too many calories, and not losing weight then it sounds like your thyroid meds need tweaking, especially if you are tired too.

I agree that if you are also menopausal then HRT would benefit. Are you getting any flushes or sweats? Apparently after hysterectomy menopause can kick in earlier than it would have done if you hadn't had the hysterectomy so you may well be peri-menopausal. As you don't have periods as a guide - depending on whether you have flushes etc or not - have you had FSH (blood) tests? This will at least tell you if you are peri and if your symptoms could be due to that, and the need for HRT? You're definitely not too young - that is ridiculous! Only an FSH test together with the classic symptoms can tell you for sure, without your ovaries.

As you don't have a uterus then HRT is easy - you just take oestrogen in whichever form works best for you ie pill, patch or gel - preferably start on a low dose for 3 months and take it from there. Were you actually given a prescription for oestrogen by the GP?

I would get the thyroid sorted properly first though - or maybe at the same time as it does sound like it's not right yet? There are several opn here who are hypothyroid as well as menopausal and know a lot about it so if you have more specific questions then do post on the main menopause board "All Things Menopause" with thyroid somewhere in the subject title and then hopefully one of them will be along to help.

Hurdity x

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 05:18:30 PM »

Venting is good SacredG...much better out than in and believe me this forum is an excellent place to vent because we all understand where you are coming from  :(xx  "lost x years of my life to this S**t" is a common theme unfortunately so if it's any consolation at all you are not alone!  I try not think about it too much otherwise I would permanently enraged (not healthy!  oh and by the way, info for your husband....the anger of it all doesn't subside totally hrt or not!) but the inconsistency, downright stupidity and lack of knowledge and the worst thing lack of LISTENING skills of medical professionals on menopause and meno symptoms (they seem to think hot flushes are it!)  is beyond comprehension to me in this day and age.

I wish I could say something to make it better but what can we do?..we have to accept it and carry on otherwise feeling like a life wasted will eat you up...just when you actually could be onto a plan that will give you some of that life back.  If there was a cohesive movement and plan to educate the world and primarily the medical professional numpties then I would be at the front of the queue and devote all my time but I don't know where there is one and I don't really know how to start one. Much love xx

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 06:16:03 PM »

Hello SacredG and welcome to the forum.

I'm not surprised that you are angry after all the  frustrations you've endured.

I have recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and now I'm wondering how many of my problems are due to this condition as well as the menopause. The fact that your GP was aware that the menopause impacts Thyroid function makes her a lot more knowledgeable than most doctors. I am still learning about this subject but I believe that taking thyroxine is the only way to treat hypothyroidism but I'm not sure of the treatment if your Thyroid is over active and you have hyperthyroidism.  Hopefully your doctor will be able to identify your needs and find a regime that works for you.

Take care and keep us updated.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »

It is such hard work to be heard.  GPs should be hung, drawn and quartered  if they keep telling women that they ' are too young'.  Some girls have 1 period then none: some have no periods at all: so there is no such thing as 'too young'. 

Browse round.  Make notes.  During those 'lost' years did you have no life at all  :-\ or were there some good points?  Sadly Gynaes are not clued up with regards the necessity to counsel ladies prior to major surgical intervention or implement advice B4 the operation.  Sadly after surgery patients are discharged too soon and referred back to the GP, rather than followed up in the appropriate Clinic which is why many are re-admitted via A&E within days of surgery.

I digress.  The NHS needs some joined up thinking.  Which is why forum like this are so helpful.   :welcomemm:  U R not alone.   Most of the symptoms you will feel will be here somewhere.  Do use the search box.  Make notes ;-). 

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.  Skin, deep in the ears, eyes, vagina [do read up on vaginal atrophy].  The muscles may Become lax = aches and pains.  Fortunately usually not every joint at the same time!  Over the counter pain relief will help.  Gentle exercise too as well as brisk walks several times a week to stave off osteoporosis perosis.  Some become sensitive to food stuffs eaten for years so a good basic diet is essential.   

You'll fit right in!

ossbanak

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 04:11:11 PM »

i think now you have a diagnosis of sorts you need to concentrate on what you can do now andnot look back as thats not the direction you are heading in.
your gp can refer you free to a slimming group which may help with your weight and subsequently your joints.
i would suggest having some time were you can just relax and switch off quietly.
hrt will definitely help and i would suggest doing some acredited reading about peri, menopause and definitely post menopause.
maybe try writing a diary so you have it to refer to and find things to do that give you enjoyment without causing pain or discomfort.
i hope things improve.