Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New members  (Read 1322 times)

Baby

New members
« on: January 06, 2020, 08:33:29 PM »

Hi everyone. I think I have been  peri about  four years and its vile. Have most symptons.feel like I have flu most of the time. Tried one lot of HRT went back to docs and they had only put me on oestrogen even tho peri. Next they have  given me evorel conti, which I have discovered is for post meno also. Longest without a period is nine months. Been on patch for two months and bleeding on and  off with  it. And its stopped sweats but not much else.also am on a trial of thyroid meds cos thyroid tsh blood was 4.5 in August but had gone to 5.52 five weeks ago when I had bloods done again.had a few good days but not many. Fed up of feeling crap.x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New members
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 02:30:53 PM »

Bet you are fed up!  Have you been referred to an endocrinologist ?

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.

Baby

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 05:10:25 PM »

No I have an appointment with doc next week to check on me.having a really bad day today panic attacks and bad anxiety

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 05:13:24 PM »

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary daily to take to the appt. so that you don't miss anything that you need to discuss?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 06:13:01 PM »

Hi all. I am new to this site and would love some advice about HRT because doctors seem incompetent about the menopause. I have been in peri about four years. Longest without a period nine months. Periods have been erratic for about three years. Anyway went to docs this year about not feeling well. Had all the symptoms, she thought I had a virus! No i said i am in menopause. Anyway she gave me hrt which I took. It didn't  help so went back to see a different  doctor in the practice. Told him it wasn't helping. He looked at my notes and asked me what progesterone I was taking. At the time I didn't know much about HRT so didn't know anything about progesterone. She had given me estradiol ONLY.  Anyway this doctor has put me on patches which are not helping either. And they are evorel conti For post meno or no period for 12 18 months. I am bleeding on off all the time. Been on them two months. Please tell me what to ask for because I am losing the will.x

Hi everyone. I think I have been  peri about  four years and its vile. Have most symptons.feel like I have flu most of the time. Tried one lot of HRT went back to docs and they had only put me on oestrogen even tho peri. Next they have  given me evorel conti, which I have discovered is for post meno also. Longest without a period is nine months. Been on patch for two months and bleeding on and  off with  it. And its stopped sweats but not much else.also am on a trial of thyroid meds cos thyroid tsh blood was 4.5 in August but had gone to 5.52 five weeks ago when I had bloods done again.had a few good days but not many. Fed up of feeling crap.x

Hi Baby

:welcomemm:

I've quoted your post from the HRT good or bad section and will answer it here as well as this one, so it's all in one place if that's OK?

Gosh another ignorant doctor - this is scary that they gave you oestrogen without progesterone. This happens far too often! Then we have had some members on here (not often I hasten to add!) saying don't take advice from other members  but go to your doctor - eek!!!

How long were you taking the oestrogen only? If only a short time then no problem but if say a few weeks then the reason you are bleeding on the Evorel conti is probably partly due to being peri-menopausal, but also due to your womb lining coming away as it will have built up while on oestrogen only. Depending how close you are to menopause it should eventually settle after a few months ( 6 usually) so that you don't bleed. If you are still very much peri-menopausal then you will still get bleeds and better to be on Evorel sequi (but this is mostly unavailable at the moment I think?). Some docs do start women on conti HRT when very late peri ( like you may be as you hadn't had a period for 9 months) - but then go back to sequi if too much unpredicatble bleeding. In your case though sequi would be better - to deal with that build-up. It might be heavy at first? If you can get sequi then great. If not there are no other combi patches available at the moment so you would either have to have pills ( I suggest Femoston 1/10 then 2/10 if you need higher dose of estradiol) or any oestrogen only patch (50 mcg) together with a progestogen of some sort - Utrogestan is bio-identical progesterone and there is Provera, and also a Mirena coil too. All the info about different types is on the menus (Treatments).

I see from your other posts that other members have spoken to you about thyroid meds etc so I won't comment on that, but wanted to pick up on the progesterone issue.

Hurdity x

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 07:36:08 PM »

Hello Baby and welcome to the forum.

I've seen you post on the Thyroid thread but thought I would respond to you here.

I have recently been diagnosed with low Thyroid due to an autoimmune condition namely Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and I am trying to learn as much as I can. You say your TSH levels were 4.5 and later 5.52, were they given as mU/L? I ask because the lab my GP used gave my TSH reading as 37.62 mU/L which was above the normal range of 0.35-5.5. I believe this indicates that the Thyroid gland is producing much more thyroxine than normal. The other measurement was Free T4 and this was below range at 3.1 pmol/L instead of the normal 10.5 - 21.0 The lab then instituted an antibody test known as TPO which showed I had 480iu/ml antibodies when the normal amount is between 0.0 - 60.0. My previous blood tests were done eighteen months ago and although my results were with the normal ranges they were very low and I felt terrible.

Sorry to go on but does any of this help you or indeed make sense. I wonder if different labs or doctors are using different measurements and ranges which would of course add to our confusion..

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Baby

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 07:56:01 PM »

Hi Kathleen. I will write down questions to ask when I see my doc. next week about the lab results. I know my tsh was tested and I think he did an antibody as well but this was not mentioned when I last saw him and I forgot to ask. I saw a student before the doctor on my last appointment and she took my temperature and asked if I was cold as it was low. Could this be thyroid related.  Since starting the meds I don't actually feel so cold. Also I was hungry all the time yet was losing weight. Could this be thyroid? Incidentally i have gained back the weight plus a bit extra since on the meds and appetite has gone back to normal. The best way to describe how i feel is like the flu

Baby

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »

Hurdity. I was only on the oestrogen only for about a month.  Am thinking of asking for the pump kind of HRT and thinking of the vagina cream progesterone if it's available. I know I don't cope with hormone changes well because when I was pregnant with my daughter I was awful while pregnant and had post natal depression afterwards.x

Baby

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »

It was a female doctor who gave me only oestrogen which makes it worse.x