Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Herbal remedies and epilepsy  (Read 2584 times)

JMC

Herbal remedies and epilepsy
« on: December 29, 2019, 09:03:08 PM »

Hi
I have just joined the site and could not believe so many women go through the same thing. Thought I was in a minority.
I suffer from severe hot flushes and extreme low and negative libido. Frankly I do not feel like a complete woman. This is upsetting.
Although not suffering epilepsy now I am on anti epileptic drugs and am concerned about many herbal drugs.
Can anyone advise on the basics.
Thank you
jmc

Katejo

Re: Herbal remedies and epilepsy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:14:52 PM »

Hi
I have just joined the site and could not believe so many women go through the same thing. Thought I was in a minority.
I suffer from severe hot flushes and extreme low and negative libido. Frankly I do not feel like a complete woman. This is upsetting.
Although not suffering epilepsy now I am on anti epileptic drugs and am concerned about many herbal drugs.
Can anyone advise on the basics.
Thank you
jmc
I am also on epilepsy medication but seizure free for many years. I know that you have to be careful with St John's wort and Primrose oil but I have never put it to the test. Have you tried asking a pharmacist? Is there a particular one which you want to try?

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »

If you are taking prescription medicines always double check before taking herbal remedies.  They do not always clash but it's not worth the risk.

Also buy from mainstream UK companies and make sure you read the accompanying notes first.

JMC

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:27:14 AM »

Thank you Katejo
I like you have been seizure free for over 15 years or so. I know to stay away from St. John's Wort and Evening Primose but I was interested in sage and red clover.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 05:11:56 PM »

Thank you Katejo
I like you have been seizure free for over 15 years or so. I know to stay away from St. John's Wort and Evening Primose but I was interested in sage and red clover.
I don't know about those at all. Tomorrow marks 40 years since I had surgery to remove the benign tumour causing my seizures!