Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Water retention/bloating  (Read 1474 times)

hwils

Water retention/bloating
« on: December 28, 2019, 10:38:12 PM »

Hi there, I'm a new member. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas. Could do with some advice re water retention. Seems to have started since my periods stopped a yr ago. Leading up to menopause have had quite a few problems over the yrs on & off with joint pain, palpitations, reflux, won't go into them all now! At the moment hate the discomfort of the water retention & get it everywhere - face, arms, feet but particularly bad in abdomen & thighs. Has been pretty consistent over the past yr. Am fairly healthy, active, not overweight but want to get back to the gym & lose a few pounds. My diet could prob be better - less sugar & salt.
I know hormones are causing this but feel like it's never going to end! I wondered if HRT patches would help but have read that HRT cause bloating & water retention too? Would appreciate any advice thanks

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Water retention/bloating
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 02:46:31 PM »

Hi hwils.
 :welcomemm:
My HRT did cause me some bloating and upset stomach, however this all settled after a couple months.
Apparently, if we have water retention, we should drink more water. Sounds silly, but it's our bodies holding onto the water because it's worried we're going to get dehydrated. So drinking more, releases more.
Good luck anyway! Hope it's not too bad now.

Jd xx

hwils

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 09:48:22 PM »

Thanks Jillydoll,
yes I have heard that, good advice, I'm much better at drinking more water when I'm at work. Am still considering HRT patches, am hoping they may help will mental symptoms also? Panicky, agitated feelings which can come on suddenly when I wake up, have always been a bit of a worrier but these feelings are completely new 🙄 will make more of an effort with my water intake though as it's good for you generally.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:57:08 PM »

I think you should see the doc. Water retention can be diet, inactivity or menstrual but it can also indicate heart or kidney problems. I don't want to worry you but best to get it checked out. Your anxiety could well be a meno symptom which will be helped by hrt.

hwils

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 10:52:41 PM »

I think you should see the doc. Water retention can be diet, inactivity or menstrual but it can also indicate heart or kidney problems. I don't want to worry you but best to get it checked out. Your anxiety could well be a meno symptom which will be helped by hrt.

Yes that has crossed my mind. The trouble is menopause has so many symptoms we can tend to attribute everything to it.