Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Waiting for scan...  (Read 20846 times)

Jeepers

Waiting for scan...
« on: December 28, 2019, 01:59:19 PM »

Hi all

I'm wondering how people manage the wait for a scan, when you are feeling really anxious?

For the last 10 days or so, I have had a pain  in my left ribs.  It is worst at night, keeps me awake, especially if I lie on my left side.  It carries on through the morning and then by the evening, it seems to go away, only to come back when I go to bed.  My appetite is non existent, and my guts seem a bit delicate too.

I managed to get an appointment at  the doctors yesterday, and he has referred me for an urgent scan.  I am so scared that I have pancreatic cancer, all of the symptoms fit, even down to the worse at night and it being intermittent.  I mentioned it to the GP, and he said "its on the list, but not at the top of the list"  I don't know whether that makes it better or worse.

I have recently had  blood tests and red, white and FBC were all in range, I'm trying to tell myself that if I had PC symptoms, this would be out of whack (I've read that PC symptoms only happen in the late stages).

Anyway, I've done everything I can do  by getting the referral, so now I just have to try to hang on for the appointment.

I went to see Swan Lake last night, it was absolutely beautiful, and all my worries melted away for those 2 hours.  I even thought, "if I've only got a few weeks/months left, this is definitely on my bucket list, so happy with that). 

Jeepers xx

Kathleen

Re: Waiting for scan...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 07:13:08 PM »

Hello Jeepers

I regularly chat to someone whose husband is being treated for pancreatic cancer. I can tell you that he could never be distracted by the ballet or indeed anything else for two hours.

It's easy to fixate on the weird and wonderful sensations that this hormonal hell throws at us so you are not alone.

I hope your appointment comes through quickly and that you will be reassured that you are infact well!

In the meantime take care and sending hugs ( I know how distressing worry can be).

K.

AgathaC

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »

Hello Jeepers, hello you, dear one.  I think and I hope that this is quite simply your HA doing what it does best. You've had your heart checked and so you are doing what we do best....fixating on and moving on to something else. Last summer, my diary tells me that THE DAY AFTER my breast check (my usual worry, like your heart stuff), I moved on to my skin.  It's what we do.  Bloods sorted, heart checked, so now it's this.  I've had a pain in my back and arm and neck all over Christmas which I have been worrying about in a similar fashion to you. It's what we do. I'll send you a PM too xxx

Blot

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 09:19:40 PM »

Hey Jeepers. Take note. I agree that health anxiety takes us to places that the “ordinary “ mind wouldn't.
I've lost count of the symptoms I've had which had me fraught with worry and turned out to be nothing.
And as Agatha said, I too was convinced I had something serious wrong with me and I got the results. All fine. And the very next day I was on to something else!
You've done the right thing by going to the doc and now just wait for the scan. You will worry but I'm sure it will be fine.
Take care xx

littleminnie

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:46:22 AM »

Hi Jeepers, just to add something else.  If you're struggling to eat I assume you are not eating enough, that in itself creates all kinds of health problems. 

Jeepers

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »

Hello ladies

Thank you so much for your replies. I do hope you are all right, and my ha is making it so much worse than it really is.

I took some cocodamol last night to try to get some sleep, and it did help a bit. But the ache is still there.

I'm trying to eat , but food is going straight through me,

The pain radiates u to my left shoulder too.
Anyway, thank you again, I'll try not to keepon about it

With love

Jeepers xx

Jeepers

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 07:59:50 PM »

Thank you so much , all of you lovely ladies.

Birdy, I love that idea that you would turn up with soup, I'm daydreaming about it now.♥️

I'm trying to keep a handle on things, but it's hard, I feel full up after just a small amount of food, feels like I've got a tight band around my lower ribs, and like someone is pushing fingers under my ribs both right and left. That's on top of the left sides ache.

Like I said, there is nothing more I can do but wait until the scan, and face whatever it shows.

Had a complete meltdown last night, had some very dark thoughts, which for now have abated. 

With love as always
Jeepers xx

Jeepers

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 08:02:40 PM »

Birdy

How are you doing now?

Jeepers xx

Blot

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »

Hope you are ok Jeepers and that you get the scan soon so you can put this behind you. Whatever it is you are getting it sorted and you can do no more than that. Have a good cry if you want as it does release tension.

Stress plays havoc with the digestion and appetite. I can vouch for that so I wouldn't worry too much about the gut issues as they probably have nothing to do with this.

Keep us updated x
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 08:18:45 PM by Blot »

Jeepers

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 03:19:25 AM »

Hi Kathleen

I'm really sorry to hear about your friends husband.

I didn't take the cocodamol tonight, so the pain is keepomg me awake again. I'll take some now

Jeepers xx

Jeepers

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »

Hi Birdy

Sorry to hear you gad a rubbish night too, I hate that mind racing thing.  I haven't done anything today other that lie in a deep bath.  Feeling a bi numb to be honest.  I'm supposed to be sorting stuff out to take to the charity shop, but can't muster up any energy and enthusiasm.

I have eaten a small bagel and a handful of nuts and raisins this morning, so I am trying.  Stomach was really gurgling after the nuts

The other thing I am doing is willing the phone to ring with my appointment.

Jeepersxx

Jeepers

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »

You are right Birdy, I can barely think of anything else. Common as muck! My back/side pain has been quite bad today.

So, I rang the scanning dept,and they said they didn't have a referral for me.  I then rang my surgery but no-one would pick up, so I ended up driving over there (its not that close to me). The young lass at reception went off, and after 10 mins came back saying that the girl who had "done" the referral was in training, and hadn't actually attached the referrral to the email (or something along those lines!).  So if I had not asked, I would have been waiting forever!  That's on top of them ringing my landline on Friday and telling my daughter that they were ringing about my referral...  so much for patient confidentiality!  Luckily, daughter assumed it was the pre diabetes course thing.  I don't want to worry her.

End of my rant

Lady at the scanning dept was lovely

Jeepers xx

« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 04:47:19 PM by Jeepers »

Blot

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »

Jeepers same thing happened to me last year. My gp forgot to do my referral and after waiting 3 weeks I chased it up and they realised what had happened. Didn't get an apology mind.
You should get a date soon now and I hope you don't have too long to wait.

marge

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 09:15:19 PM »

Same thing happened to me for removal of polyps. Waited six months then went back to my GP to be re-referred Luckily for me, nothing serious, but mistakes are made

Jeepers

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 09:59:19 PM »

Wow, that's terrible. I'm glad I chased it up so quickly. I'll ring the scan dept again in the morning to make sure they've got it.

I've taken some diazepam to try to sleep tonight, as well as the painkillers.  My body is doing really strange things. I keep getting odd shooting pains on the top of my left breast, and ****ling feelings at the base f my sternum..

Just trying not to freak out too much.   It will be what it will be

Jeepers xx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12