Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Omeprazole Success?  (Read 4548 times)

Tc

Re: Omeprazole Success?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 02:20:46 PM »

Sparkle yes it is a juggling act. I'm a rubbish juggler. 😬
 The  lowering of acid impacts further down the digestive system. The gastrologist said ppis are notorious for it  I suppose that is why we then have the knock on effect of low b12.

As for low b12 . I'm a bit mixed up about what is causing which symptom at moment with me so I will go by what happened when it went low a couple times on omprazole before I went into surgical meno.  I had fatigue, tingling in hands and feet and around my mouth. My hair had started to shed too but I'm not 100% sure that was related.  When it went very low I  felt a bit short of breath too.  Similar symptoms for folic acid .

I do get symptoms even when it's in normal range but still low within that.  I keep having to wait for it to fall into red before doc will treat and even then it only stays up temporarily.

I've not attempted to keep levels raised by taking a continual supplement. So that might be a good idea.

Being as you have diverticulitis would you be able to get a b12 injection?

X

Tc

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 08:25:19 PM »

Sparkle I was told to stop any  b12 and folic supplements before blood test. To get an accurate reading. 

This is from an article entitled "The mechanism for omprazole induced vit b12 deficiency. "

Quote "Therefore, since omeprazole only impairs the absorption of protein bound vitamin B12 from animal-derived dietary sources, the use of free or unbound vitamin B12 (such as cyanocobalamin) are not affected and can be safely used to correct the vitamin B12 deficiency especially if the patient cannot stop taking the omeprazole."end quote.

So seems to answer the original question that you  poseed. Bobidy About whether supplements will be absorbed.  (Cyanocobalamin is what my doc gives me,).

But there is the diareah factor. If you constantly have it as my wife did with chrohns disease then absorption of vits, minerals and  will be affected. .  She was on b12 injections for that reason.

Xx

Zowie

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 08:22:04 AM »

Hi ladies

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm 48 and well into peri judging by all of the weird symptoms I've been having recently  (which I'm obviously worrying about ridiculously).  At the end of January I had a temperature and dry cough for a week (not covid-19 apparently as it was too early for the UK but who knows).  Following that I had the awful throat clearing and mucus that people have described with acid reflux and chest pains but at the time I thought it was related to coughing as it was a really savage cough.  My GP prescribed 20mg of omeprazole which worked really well and I then asked to drop to 10mg as I'd read horror stories about omeprazole and acid backlash when you come off it.   I've been on 10mg for a couple of months now and I've started getting chest pain and pain in my shoulder blade and the mucus has started creeping back up again.  Before this I rarely had heartburn but did get a bit of acid regurgitation now and again.  I had an endoscopy 15 years ago which was all normal but I've just worried that such painful chest symptoms can happen with acid reflux.  Has anyone else tried to reduce their omeprazole dose only to have issues and then restart the higher dose again?  Sorry for the waffle but I can't speak to my GP until Monday and I suppose I just wanted some reassurance that other people have had similar issues.  Thanks ladies  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 12:11:39 PM »

Yep.  As above.  Sometimes 1 capsule at night is enough to stop that awful clearing throat problem, I hardly did it yesterday but 2day it's a nuisance again.  I may take 1 tonight and another in the morning.

Milk of Magnesia and Rennies have helped my heartburn too.  4 me it's a lot of excess saliva and pain between the ribs in that gap, sometimes in my back but DH gives it a gentle rub to move the wind around.  I can't burp  :-\.  No pain down my arms but into my lower chin and up the sides of my face when it's severe. 

Bobidy

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 02:33:50 PM »

Hi all

I'm wondering about this one and I'm going to bang on about histamine again and the link between oestrogen raising histermine and vice versa.

Excess histamine is released into the stomach and gut etc and when levels get too high it causes body inflammation, reflux, IBS etc.

H2 blockers for the stomach are like hens teeth at the mo and I don't think PPIS do much if that is the cause (certainly not in my experience, I was the same with or without them). H1 blocking antihistamines are working pretty good for me along with watching what I'm eating (lots of info around re low histermine diet). I don't want to be taking them all the time though for sure, only to calm things down. They seem to be safe and are v cheap from supermarkets so it might be worth a try? They don't reduce histermine just block the symptoms so you'd need to change diet etc too I'm afraid.

HRT is tricky to get right if histermine is a problem for you, which is v annoying!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]