Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please help me! Felt good until I increased Utrogestan  (Read 3595 times)

Redlocks

Please help me! Felt good until I increased Utrogestan
« on: December 14, 2019, 12:01:00 PM »

Hello ladies,
I've been taking HRT (100mcg Estradot patches and 100mg Utrogestan days 8-28) for PCOS and severe PMS and was doing well until I doubled the Utrogestan.
After 4/5 months on the higher dose of 200mg I have barely been functioning, severe panic attacks, not wanting to do anything, scared of everything, no concentration, feeling disconnected and out of it, loss of appetite, lack of sleep and paralysing anxiety where I'm scared to be alone.
My consultant told me to go back down to 100mg and I did two weeks ago but I'm still unwell. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I always got on with the Utrogestan phase before, now it doesn't help me sleep. I've felt so bad I feel I should be in hospital :( It's scary not knowing how long this will last. Please could someone help X

Redlocks

Re: Please help me! Felt good until I increased Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »

Hello Birdy,
I'm so sorry, I wrote this before I saw your message! When I'm panicking I seek answers from everywhere, but after reading your replies my suspicions are that it's definitely the hormones playing a major part in all this. I was confused at the time because I also had some bad news about a family member recently, but I think I was coping and this all just feels so...physical. It's hard when you don't know what's causing what because then you don't know the appropriate action to take.
Have you got friends and family around you?
X

Redlocks

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »

I'm glad you're not on your own! I have support thanks, thank goodness.
Have you got any medication to help you short term? I went through hell last year and something to take the edge off helped get me through it while I levelled out.
Did you feel worse without Utrogestan last week or when you increased it?
Also, you might have told me but do you see a consultant? I see Dr Panay and up until this point he's been great, but he's away at the moment so I don't know my blood test results or anything.

Redlocks

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 01:34:32 PM »

And I had the non-stop crying last year, pretty much for two days straight at one point. It's awful and I'm pretty sure it's hormonal because once I felt better I hadn't changed my dose of antidepressants, only the HRT.
This time I feel more ‘paralysed' with anxiety and the stress is coming out as waves of adrenaline and panic rather than tears.
And this won't help but I'm sending hugs X
PS: The Strictly final is on tonight, do you watch it? That show has helped me take my mind off things a teeny bit.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 02:03:51 PM »

We can think of each other during Scrtickly ........

Maybe print off 'hints for husbands' and hand over?

Redlocks

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 02:16:20 PM »

That's a good idea, CLKD! It is hard for loved ones too - I always feel guilty about upsetting my family and friends, especially when I'm generally a positive person! But they need to know it's not a choice and very real.
Let's all watch Strictly! I love it :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »

We have a thread about Strictly: hobbies, dog breeds - we sometimes talk about menopause  :D

Penelope

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 08:12:31 PM »

Gosh girls I have been where you both are.Its bloody awful and really scary.My friend who used to be a nurse and is now in her 80s said to me that all the mental health facilities used to fill up with menopause
Women.I can certainly understand that now.
I just wish there is more said about this huge issue our in the general public.
When I sit and think just how many women around the world right now feel terrible!its just 😞
thank goodness for these forums.xxxxx

Redlocks

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »

Thanks Penelope for your kind words :) It is horrible. I'm so confused about what's my hormones and what's just me! I'm 33 and don't know whether my life long issue with anxiety has been hormonal or not.
How are you doing now? Sending hugs to you and everyone going through anything like this X
Ps yes, thank goodness for these forums...

Redlocks

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 03:50:32 PM »

And CLKD, a thread about Strictly sounds great! I loved the final last night :)
And I don't have a dog but I looked after my landlord's elderly cat earlier this year. It was so sad when he died - he was a great comfort to me! I love animals, they make me chuckle :)

Penelope

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 04:35:41 AM »

Thanks Penelope for your kind words :) It is horrible. I'm so confused about what's my hormones and what's just me! I'm 33 and don't know whether my life long issue with anxiety has been hormonal or not.
How are you doing now? Sending hugs to you and everyone going through anything like this X
Ps yes, thank goodness for these forums...

I have literally been to hell and back since age 25 with what I now know was thyroid!

Jeepers

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 06:03:25 AM »

Hello Ladies

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having a rough time at the moment, sending you hugs and warm wishes.  Can I ask why you had to double the utro?
 that paralysed by anxiety is so horrible, isn't it?

Did you manage to get your decorations up Birdy?

Much love

Jeepers xx

Redlocks

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 12:26:42 PM »

Hello Jeepers, nice to e-meet you!
Thanks so much for the hugs, have some yourself ⛄️ :)
Good question - I was getting a period every two weeks and my consultant advised me to double the progesterone; I think maybe he thought the higher dose could override my own cycle. He said give it 3-4 months and I didn't have any debilitating symptoms at first (other than being a bit more tearful and not as focused, but I put that down to other things going on), but then around the fourth month I couldn't cope, so I've halved it again. It never stopped the periods anyway.
Last year I reduced the utrogestan to 100mg for 10 days a cycle, and it stopped the extra period but I lost my mind (again) - almost constant panic attacks, and it took about 4 months before I got through a day without experiencing one. Back then I figured it was the high amount of estrogen, so that's probably why he suggested I do the opposite.
Turns out maybe you can have too much of a good thing! I think it's all about balance. I'm still experiencing extreme anxiety, but I have to say I've noticed the teeniest bit of improvement after two weeks.

Redlocks

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »

Penelope, I am perpetually confused about thyroid issues - I've been tested quite frequently since I was around 18 as my mum is hypothyroid, but it always comes back ‘normal'. My TSH is frequently above 2, which I did hear could be borderline, but I couldn't get anywhere with my GP. I sought the help of an endocrinologist and gynaecologist for my PCOS and I pursued that route because at least I had an official diagnosis. However, if I do have some sort of thyroid issue then it could explain a lot!!

Penelope

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 06:27:05 PM »

Penelope, I am perpetually confused about thyroid issues - I've been tested quite frequently since I was around 18 as my mum is hypothyroid, but it always comes back ‘normal'. My TSH is frequently above 2, which I did hear could be borderline, but I couldn't get anywhere with my GP. I sought the help of an endocrinologist and gynaecologist for my PCOS and I pursued that route because at least I had an official diagnosis. However, if I do have some sort of thyroid issue then it could explain a lot!!

Honey I hear you and feel for you so much if your mum has a thyroid issue and you have symptoms you are 85% likely to have thyroid issues.The doctors are like pulling teeth hence the fact I have had Hashimoto's for 25 years And they never did the correct tests because my TSH tests where Normal
But my ferritin and haemoglobin were never correct and they are also a big indicator.
Remember the go to medication for Hashimoto's is HRT Are you on it? That could be something you could try because that way you would be covering both bases Menopause and thyroid.
Maybe a good idea for your mum to ask for a thyroid antibodies test she may come back with Hashimoto's by now as well.
Hope this helps a bit honey.I am gobsmacked that I have had menopause symptoms for 25 years the anxiety so bad at times I could not leave home and it was all my thyroid.😔
Pages: [1] 2