Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Black cohosh  (Read 8090 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Black cohosh
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 08:15:51 AM »

:thankyou:

Jari

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 09:06:08 AM »

Thanks Shadyglade, I'm taking black cohosh, which is recommended in MG book. I have the previous version of the new book too.
I'm trialling black cohosh. So far, 1 month in and I think it's having some effect but not fully...will take it another month and see...
I'm taking the brand name Kira, which is one small tablet a day, about 40mg of black cohosh.
In the leaflet, it says, as with any medicine, there might be side effects and in very rare cases liver problems. If noticing yellowing of eyes etc to stop immediately.
Interestingly MG recommends minimum 150mg each day, so I'm taking much much less.

She also says with all herbs, if seeing no effect after a month, then stop. If seeing effect, carry on for 3 months and see.. she says if it works for you, then all symptoms of eg hot flushes should go after 3 months. I will try and see....

X

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 09:57:16 AM »

I tried black cohosh, didn't do a thing for me. So I knocked it on the head.
I'm sceptical about these things anyway, my doctor recommended it to me, then when I saw another doctor, she said she didn't think they worked either!
It's one of those things, may work for you, may not. 🤷‍♀️
I know someone who took wild yam...? Swore by it....but had no effect at all on someone else I know....good luck anyway.xxx

Jari

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »

Thanks Jillydolly, I'll give it a go for the 3 months and see if it works or not. Will keep posted. X

catlover68

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 01:24:58 AM »

I have just started to take black cohosh so will be interesting to see if it reduces my hot flushes which have increased in the last month. I'm now getting them in the day which is a problem as have a public facing role job wise. I'm hoping they will help but not holding out much hope if I'm honest. I cannot take hrt unfortunately which I find frustrating🙄my anxiety has also increased recently so happy days lol😀

jaypo

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 07:42:17 AM »

Please just remember that flushes and sweats fluctuate,you may start taking cohosh  and coincidentally your flushes abate,this is what happened to me when I took sage,thought it was some miracle cure but unfortunately,latterly,it had no effect whatsoever.
Please don't think I'm poo pooing it altogether,just making you aware your flushes will decrease naturally,then come back to say hello 😏

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 07:46:29 AM »

I'm trialling black cohosh. Jari - is this with a Company to chart effects ?  Or is this a personal 'trial'?

Let us know how you get on!

catlover68

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 12:36:48 PM »

Jaypo

I'm really not pinning my hopes on this black cohosh working to be honest. Like you said they fluctuate and mine are definitely up and down at the moment. I'm just trialling it and see how it goes. If this doesn't work I may just ride it out and hope for the best. It's so difficult to find something if you cannot take hrt.

jaypo

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 01:16:46 PM »

Good luck catlover,I'm not on hrt either,this hot weather definitely doesn't help matters🥵

catlover68

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2019, 12:35:36 PM »

Well just over a week of taking black cohosh and my hot flushes have decreased somewhat but as mentioned earlier it could just be my hormones fluctuating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it is helping😀

Jari

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 12:47:31 PM »

I feel the same cats lover.

Another thing I'm interested in is BMI. Mine is 29.3 and it is at the higher end of the bracket. I just read that hot flushes are increased by a higher BMI, so I'm also wanting to get that right down.

What is your BMI out of interest? ( you can work it out online) x

catlover68

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 08:17:34 PM »

Hi Jari

My BMI is 28.3 so around the same as yourself. I need to lose at least a stone but would be happy with anything really. I'm just so hungry all the time🙄I'm a terrible snacker with chocolate etc but I'm trying to kerb this,my danger zone is in the evenings. I have wholemeal toast or porridge for breakfast, a light lunch and an evening meal and I watch my portion sizes. I go running 3-4 times a week usually 2-3 miles each time. It's just so hard to shift this weight in the middle x

Sparrow

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »

Jari, I took Black Cohosh during peri and found it very effective.  From what I remember it is recommended to be taken for short periods of two or three months, then take a break.

As for liver damage that has been recorded in a tiny number of people particularly susceptible, 83 worldwide, but there has been no direct link between the herb and the damage.  In other word the damage could well have been caused by some other factor.   

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/BlackCohosh-HealthProfessional/

I would therefore  suggest doing research before you buy so you are well informed and comfortable. Don't forget that everyday, over the counter meds like paracetamol and nurophen can cause problems. Liver and kidney damage, respectively. So anything you take comes with some risk.

Shadyglade

I have just bumped this as I remembered researching liver damage and BC before.  So here it is but always do your own research first to be sure.  As for GPs, they know a little about a lot of things but not enough to trust 100% on things like this.

Hurdity

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »

This is an interesting link Shadyglade thanks.

The section on efficacy ( in treating menopausal symptoms) was particuarly illuminating as well as thorough and I will reproduce here:

"Black Cohosh and Menopausal Symptoms

Studies using various designs since the 1950s have attempted to determine whether black cohosh affects menopausal symptoms [12]. Complicating efforts to understand the efficacy of black cohosh for treating menopausal symptoms is the wide variation in the chemical compositions of formulations. Black cohosh's active ingredients and potential mechanism(s) of action are unknown. Studies have found varying results for the plant's effects on human physiology as to whether, for example, it raises the body's levels of estrogen which is present in lower levels in menopausal women than in premenopausal women, or whether it affect levels of luteinizing hormone or follicle-stimulating hormone [13,14]. It is not clear whether black cohosh affects the structure and activity of vaginal and uterine tissues [5,15]. Some researchers believe that black cohosh might exert its effects through a brain-related action, such as moduation of serotonergic pathways, or through its potential ability to act as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, or selective estrogen receptor modulator [5,15-17].

Two high-quality randomized controlled trials investigating black cohosh for menopausal symptoms are described here. One, published in 2006, assigned 351 women aged 45–55 years experiencing daytime hot flashes and night sweats into one of five groups to take one of the following [18]:

160 mg/day black cohosh (70% ethanolic extract standardized to contain 2.5% triterpene glycosides)
    A multibotanical preparation containing 200 mg black cohosh along with Siberian ginseng, dong quai, and other ingredients
    The same multibotanical preparation plus two daily servings of soy foods providing 12-20 g soy protein
    Hormone therapy (estrogen with or without progesterone)
    A placebo

After 3, 6, and 12 months of supplementation or placebo, the number and intensity of hot flashes and night sweats did not differ between the herbal-intervention groups and the placebo group, with one exception. At 12 months, participants consuming the multibotanical preparation plus soy foods had significantly worse symptom intensity than those consuming the placebo.

Another randomized controlled trial published in 2009 assigned 88 perimenopausal and postmenopausal women (mean age 53 years; 55% from underrepresented minority groups) who were experiencing at least 35 hot flashes and night sweats per week into one of four groups to take one of the following [19]:

128 mg/day black cohosh (75% ethanolic extract standardized to contain 5.7% triterpene glycosides)
    398 mg/day red clover (ethanolic extract of the aerial parts standardized to 120 mg isoflavones)
    Hormone therapy (estrogen and progesterone)
    A placebo

After 3, 6, 9, and 12 months of supplementation or placebo, the number of vasomotor symptoms declined significantly in all groups. However, there were no statistically significant differences between the black cohosh and red clover groups compared to placebo, with one exception. The black cohosh group showed worse symptom intensity at 6 and 9 months. This study also investigated secondary endpoints such as somatic symptoms (e.g., insomnia and fatigue), mood changes (e.g., depression and anxiety), and sexual dysfunction (e.g., vaginal dryness). For most of these outcomes, no significant differences were observed between any of the treatment groups at any time.

A 2012 Cochrane review evaluated 16 randomized clinical trials on the effectiveness of black cohosh in reducing menopausal symptoms, including hot flushes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, and combinations of symptoms measured by validated rating scales [5]. (The two trials discussed above were included in this Cochrane review.) The 16 included trials randomized a total of 2,027 women (mean age 50.5 to 56.4 years), and their samples ranged from 23 to 351 participants. Study durations were 8 to 54 weeks, with a mean duration of 22.8 weeks. Participants received a daily dose of various formulations of 8 to 160 mg/day black cohosh extract, with a median dose of 40 mg/day. In some cases, the authors of the original study reports indicated that the extract they used came from the root/rhizome, they had extracted the product using isopropyl alcohol or ethanol, and/or they had standardized the extract to contain a specific amount of triterpene glycosides. The studies were highly heterogeneous with respect to such factors as design, duration, type and amount of black cohosh used, and main findings. The review's authors concluded that there was “insufficient evidence” from these trials “to either support or oppose the use of black cohosh for menopausal symptoms.”

A 2016 systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials examined four studies of herbal and plant-based therapies that included black cohosh (three of which were examined in the Cochrane review described above) to treat menopausal symptoms [20]. The trials randomized a total of 511 women to a daily dose of various formulations of 6.5 to 160 mg/day black cohosh extract or placebo. There were no significant associations between supplementation with black cohosh and reduction in the number of vasomotor symptoms, such as hot flashes. Furthermore, there were no beneficial associations between black cohosh use and relief of menopausal symptoms using self-reported rating scales.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, in its 2015 clinical guidelines for managing menopausal symptoms, concluded that “data do not show that” herbal dietary supplements like black cohosh “are efficacious for the treatment of vasomotor symptoms” [21]. The North American Menopause Society advises clinicians against recommending herbal therapies such as black cohosh because “they are unlikely to be beneficial” (italics in original) in alleviating vasomotor symptoms [15].

The Cochrane review found adequate justification for conducting further studies on black cohosh's use to treat menopausal symptoms [5]. Its authors recommended that researchers conduct higher-quality trials with larger samples and provide more details about their experimental protocols. Others have recommended that researchers should completely and comprehensively describe the black cohosh preparation they used so that other researchers could use the same or similar products [22]. It is also important to independently analyze and verify the product's composition to ensure its identity and quality [23].
"

I have highlighted the findings in bold....

Hurdity x

Pages: 1 [2]