Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Flu jab reaction?  (Read 9035 times)

Sparrow

Re: Flu jab reaction?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »

This is the note on our surgery website.

FLU VACCINATIONS FOR 50-64 YEAR OLDS
Please do not contact the surgery about flu immunisations if you fall into the 50-64 years age group. We have not yet been told when we will be allocated vaccines from the central stock and therefore cannot plan any clinics.

As soon as we receive official confirmation we will contact eligible patients. Please look out for updates on our website.

Thank you for your understanding.

Please note: We are still able to offer flu vaccinations to patients in all at risk groups - please contact the surgery as soon as possible to book in for your flu jab.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »

We haven't had any hold up in our region.  We should not have to pay for any jabs, GPs get paid £15.00 for each 1 so they will want to get stocks ASAP!  I don't understand that either but it's always been the way  :-\

I am waiting to see what effect DH gets from his.  I will have it 'to protect the NHS' not because I require one. If it was like smallpox when 'flu could be eradicated, I would feel differently.  But the vaccine is 12-18 months behind anyway.  I am not worried as we don't mix except when shopping and even then avoid most people  ;).

sheila99

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »

I've just been contacted to get one (under 65). I'm not sure I'd bother in a normal year but I will this year. There are people who are imuno suppressed or too ill to have it so I feel I am protecting them as well as the nhs. The more people who are vaccinated the less chance there will be a flu epidemic.

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »

That's my thinking sheila99.  That way I won't need to rush when the C-19 vaccines are rolled out until all those that require them have been treated.

Cazikins

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2020, 03:28:44 PM »

I've just booked to have mine done at the local pharmacy. I feel the same as you sheila99  ;)

That's my thinking sheila99.  That way I won't need to rush when the C-19 vaccines are rolled out until all those that require them have been treated.
But I thought you were reluctant to have it done CLKD...surely the sooner the better, in case they run out - then you'd be moaning about that & the NHS not being efficient I suppose  :D

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2020, 03:32:55 PM »

:na: ......... there is no chance of our County running out ;-).  When I spoke with the Nurse yesterday I was told they have a good supply.  If the jab availability runs out I'm not too worried as I haven't had 'flu since 1990.  Also, we don't mix  ;) .  I am reluctant due to the latter. 

Cazikins

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2020, 01:27:24 AM »

When I spoke to my surgery this afternoon they said they had 1400 vaccinations available but 1900 patients who are eligible - so although they also have a good supply they could still run out.  ::). I decided to take the opportunity of having it done at our local pharmacy instead as it was a more convenient date/time.

I don't mix much either CLKD but you do go to antique shops to fill up your cabinets & your local shop to pick up a few bits & pieces .... It doesn't matter that you haven't had flu in the last 30 years, you are older now & your resistance may be lower than back in 1990.

We are all surely more vunerable than we were 30 years ago.  :)

Cazikins  :cat48: :cat48: :cat48:

littleminnie

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2020, 08:52:32 AM »

Hello ladies.

I was offered a flu jab from our surgery but it was first come, first served and I missed out. Boots are offering the jab free to over 65s but as I am 64 I will need to pay. I don't mind that but when I tried to book I was told they had run out and to keep trying. It looks like I may not get a flu jab at all this year. I don't know how worried I should be. Incidentally I have never had  the flu nor taken up the offer of a flu jab.

£8 at Asda pharmacies
Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2020, 09:42:27 AM »

It is dreadful that supermarkets/Boots are allowed to offer any injections ! What procedures are in place should some have a bad reaction?
Especially when we are being told to keep away from others.  As for paying ?  we've already paid into the Health Service  :-\

Tnx for your concern Cazikins - I go masked with sanitiser.   How's the arm this morning?

Sparrow

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2020, 11:32:23 AM »

Ha ha, just had a text from my surgery. They must have been listening.

Now I have a quick decision to make.

Sparrow

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2020, 01:23:18 PM »

You are right FrannyB, but the weaker immune system of the elderly means the flu vaccination is less effective.  You need a healthy immune response to vaccine to get the benifit.

Kathleen

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2020, 04:59:50 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Apparently as we age our immune system becomes less efficient,  it is slower to react to threats so vaccines have a reduced  protective effect and then it is slower to down regulate so a chronic auto immune illness becomes more likely.  One of the big problems with COVID is the cytokine storm that can develop when the immune system overreacts to the virus.

I will continue to search for my flu jab and will definitely  be in the queue for the COVID vaccine as well.

Take care ladies.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »

Well I have just booked mine, for 5th December.

Still not sure if it's necessary but hay ho.

I am expecting it to be a long time before the healthy under 65s get offered the Covid vac.

loonarider

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2020, 01:47:23 AM »

I saw that on the BBC news this morning sheila99. They are discovering new things all the time.

Out of interest, how many of the ladies who are not having a flu jab will take up the offer of the coronavirus vaccine ?

I am so ready for the vaccine if it means an end to the pandemic. I think I've felt a little calmer since hearing the great news from the Pfizer, Moderna and Astrazeneca trials and I feel now that the uncertainty at the heart of COVID-19 pandemic is no more.

Taz2

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2020, 05:46:13 PM »

You are right FrannyB, but the weaker immune system of the elderly means the flu vaccination is less effective.  You need a healthy immune response to vaccine to get the benifit.

I think that's why they add the adjuvant into the over 65 one. I had to have the under 65 as that's the egg free one (sensitivity). There was much discussion between the doctors and in the end it was decided it would be better than nothing  ;D

Taz x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5