Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Flu jab reaction?  (Read 9043 times)

stellajane

Flu jab reaction?
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »

Is it normal to get a reaction at the site of the flu jab?

My arm is red and itchy and slightly swollen where the needle went in.

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Flu jab reaction?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 10:42:59 AM »

Hi Stellajane.
I had the flu jab a few weeks ago, and although my arm was sore for a couple days after, I didn't get any redness or itching where it actually went in...
However, I did get it when I had the pneumonia jab a few years back. Think it lasted a few days, then settled...
I think some people do get a reaction like you have, others don't, hopefully it'll  settle down 
for you in a couple days...x

AAM5

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »

Hi x

This is the first year I've had a reaction to the flu jab. Much the same as you and sore if I slept on that side for a few days.  All okay now. 

Pharmacist pre warned me and said it was all to do with the different strains of flu this year. 

Hopefully you'll be all good soon xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 12:04:07 PM »

I doubt it's anything to worry about, this seems to happen to a lot of people. I was OK with this year's flu jab apart from a bit of tenderness for a couple of days. Last year's was a different story, however.

JP x

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »

Try taking and anti-histamine and maybe Hydrocodone cream on the red area. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 03:10:17 PM »

Fill in the yellow card too.

Are u allergic to eggs? 

Krystal

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »

I had the flu jab nearly eight weeks ago and the top of my left arm still aches from time to time. When I had the jab the pharmacist did a quick allergy check with me and said that this year's flu jabs for the under 65s contained four strains of flu. He said that it may take two to three weeks for things to settle down. I take antihistamines daily and have done for many years. If your arm is really painful I would make an appointment with your GP for reassurance. My GP once told me that anyone can become allergic to anything at anytime.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 10:25:46 AM »

So far I've had two communications regarding getting a 'flu jab.  One from the GP surgery 5 weeks ago and another through the post this morning.  It's like someone is stalking me  :-\ how do they know that I haven't had 1? 

I've not had 'flu since 1990.   :-\ ......... the jab is always at least 12 months behind what is going round. 

Salad

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »

Is it normal to get a reaction at the site of the flu jab?

My arm is red and itchy and slightly swollen where the needle went in.

Yes, quite normal from what I was told could happen when I had mine - give it a few days and it’ll hopefully settle.
As Shadyglade suggested, maybe try an antihistamine   :)

Sparrow

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 12:36:18 PM »

They want everyone to get it CLKD so your records will be checked and you will be encouraged to get one this year especially because of the coronavirus. Getting both together is what they are trying to avoid.
Where does it say that the jab is 12 months behind what is going round. Surely that would make the jab pointless  :-\

The virus mix that is included is always a guess.

At 64 still not had mine and no indication on the surgery website as to when.

Not a 100% convinced it is necessary as it's a low flu year.  The chances of having flu and covid together are tiny.  That story is just to increase compliance.

Don't believe anything the government or SAGE say anymore. 

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 12:49:47 PM »

Nor did I from about, oh, April  ::). The 'flu jab can never keep up with mutations.  GPs get paid a tenner+ for each jab given which is why it is pushed.  DH has decided to have the 'flu jab B4 me ......... I'll see how he reacts! 

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »

They're pushing it this year because the nhs wouldn't be able to cope with a flu epidemic on top of covid. What goes in it is always a best guess as they don't have a crystal ball but mostly, not always, they get it right. I haven't been offered one yet but I'll have it if I am. I've been very careful avoiding people, one trip a week for food at a quiet time always with a mask yet I am on my second cold. Just shows how easily it spreads.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 02:20:15 PM »

How many people, who have had the 'flu jab annually, die of 'flu ?

Sparrow

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »

Unfortunately flu vaccination get less effective the older you get.  It's the elderly that generally die.

sheila99

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 03:21:49 PM »

How many people, who have had the 'flu jab annually, die of 'flu ?
Ummm... Isn't that why you have the jab?
They reckon 50 million people died in the Spanish flu pandemic following ww1, far more than died in the war.
  They think they've found a way to protect imunosuppressed people from covid by injecting antibodies into the muscle. I wonder if they'll be able to use the same technique for flu in older people who don't have a good immune reaction to the vaccine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5