Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Problems with femoston  (Read 2949 times)

crosscat

Problems with femoston
« on: December 03, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »

Just started taking HRT, 51, menopause just happened overnight- horrible symptoms. Prescribed 1mg femoston (a patch would have been better but not avilable in my PCT). Anyway have taken the first 14 tablets ok, the night sweats palpitations and anxiety settled. But now I'm half way into the grey pills with the dydrogeterone in them as well as the estradiol, and everytings gone a bit weird. The night sweats have come back and I have got so bloated I look like a football on legs. Apart from this being really uncomfortable, I cant get into any of my clothes. Bye bye any Christmas partywear- I'll be wearing Santa's sack at this rate. I'm only five foot two and normally a size 8 so this is  hugely disporpoportionate to my figure I cant hide it easily.
Have any of you had this experience with femoston? reading through the blog I cant see this mentioned specifically. I'm taking magnesium which is supposed to help but it hasnt done yet!
Would really appreciate hearing from any of you with similar experiences of this as I am wondering whether or not it will settle down.

alibeau

Re: Problems with femoston
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 04:07:52 PM »

HI,

I started on Femoston 1/10 over a year ago and then switched up to Femoston 2/10 last month.   I did not suffer with bloating but other symptoms like headaches, nausea and intermittent flushes.  Everything settled down after a couple of months so if you feel you can, stick with it.

Ali x

crosscat

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 02:38:08 PM »

Hi Ali, thanks for that advice. It's nice to know that this may settle down- it's making me sick (had to leave the swimming pool this morning to throw up having take the femostan this morning). I'm not sure how much of it I'm actually going to absorb though if I'm being sick after taking it and I think this may be a reason why still having night sweats and feeling generally all over the place. I'm going back to the Docs next week to see if there is any way I can have something with less progesterone or if I could have a patch by being referred or going private. TBH I'm about to go abroad and its tempting to just buy some, if I can get the doc or pharmacist to tell me whet they would prescribe if there were any patches available in Derbyshire. We're the only country to be affetcted by this shortage- there's plenty of HRT abroad!
xx Crosscat

alibeau

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 03:04:26 PM »

Hi Crosscat,

Sadly I'm no expert, I've been able to tolerate Femoston well so I had no reason to switch to patches, gels etc...

Hopefully someone might be along soon who can advise you better....

Hope things improve for you soon.

Ali x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »

Hi Crosscat.   :welcomemm:

Unfortunately the bloating and nausea together with headache, are side effects from the Femoston.
I'm actually on Femoston Conti, and I suffered the same at the start, but it does settle down once your body gets used to it, although it does take a while to settle. And I'm sure most HRTs do the same..but everyone is different, and will get different side effects.  It is horrible having a swollen tummy.
I don't quite know about the actual sickness you've been having, although I felt sick, I didn't a actually throw up, are you eating correctly? Maybe if you've skipped meals this is why your throwing up ?
Maybe tell your doctor, and see what they say...but I'm certain, you'll not absorb much because of the sickness.
Wishing you well, let us know how you get on...xx

crosscat

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 10:14:09 AM »

Hi Jillydoll, thank you for your welcome message! thanks for also confirming that my side effects are common with femoston. I've been back to my GP because I really can't tolerate oral progesterone even in small doses(I never have been able to) and it has made me really sick. In response I got a prescription for an antiemetic but one that DOES make you drowsy- this was a waste of a prescription charge because I took one and it knocked me out for 24 hours. On the pack is says 'dont operate tools and machinery' but I do this as part of my day job- my gp knows this to why I got presecibed this I've no idea. I've struggled to the end of the pack by taking over the counter pills for travel sickness. Now I'm off the progesterone containing pills I'm feeling better and the menoapusal symptoms are back under control- I was getting them all back again because I wasnt absorbing the second phase of pills.
My doctor yesterday suggested anti depressants. SCREAM. I'm not depressed, I'm menopausal. Looking at the BMA website, appears that Evorel Sequi, which I  would be prescribed, will be available in Feb 2020- not June as the GP had told me. So I'm getting a bit frustrated with their advice and the strage prescription for a competely unsuitable anti emetic.
To be honest, I dont want to plough through Cristmas feeling sick half the time- the travel sick pills stop me being sick but not feeling it. And to stop taking the HRT will leave me unable to function.
Getting rather desperate as the GP's other (really bad) suggestion was 'well you could just not take it (the HRT)' so I then had to remind her of the lenghthy list of debilitating symptoms I made the appointment for innitially, to be prescribed it.
I am thinking I'll just buy some from that well known Canadian online pharmacy which will only send them after an online consultation. Buying three packs may tide me over til Feb. This isnt illegal and I'm not getting much help from my GP- I've seen two, both very kind but not that helpful!
Would any of you consider buying from a reputable online source?
Crosser Cat xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 10:42:30 AM »

Your welcome Crosscat. 🙂

The only other thing you could try is an antihistamine.
I only came across this because I have a liver disease, and my consultant at the hospital prescribed me some for itching, which I had off the tablets I have to take, but also, it took away the sickness I had everyday aswell.
So now every time I feel sick, I take one. ...they also help with sleep.
The ones I take are Benadryl Acrivsatine. .Don't know if you can get them where you are.
I don't take them all the time, just when needed, and who knows, they may help you while the Femoston is getting used to your body..🤷‍♀️

Xx

crosscat

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 04:09:58 PM »

Hi Jillydoll, thank you - the anti emetic I was prescribed is also an antihistamine but not the one you've had. My GP just seems to have decided that if I cant tolerate their oral HRT prescription or anti emetic so far, and I'm not going to accept being given medication that is normally prescribed for depression (but which is not liscenced to treat HRT symptoms by my PCT and the evidence doesn't support anyway) they can just tick the 'weve tried our best with this patient' box. I asked for a Gynae referral but told I couldnt have one. So I think I will just buy what I need online. Feel very let down by the NHS. I know there is a supply problem that's not my G'Ps fault but poor advice and inappropriate prescriptions really dont help. My GP did refer me to this site...to which I could only respond 'yes, I know' but thankyou.
I'm hoping to be able to feel somewhere normal with patches purchased  from abroad although of course I probably shouldnt tell my GP- I can do without a lecture and I've had several.
thanks for you message I really appreciate it.
Crosscatxx