Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Essential oil question  (Read 4491 times)

squeaker99

Essential oil question
« on: November 18, 2019, 09:33:24 AM »

Anyone on here know anything about mixing essential oils to make perfume?
I met a lady the other day who had a wonderful perfume, really relaxing smell - she said it was based on 'Clove bud oil' and she made it herself and had used it in Aromatherapy for anti-anxiety.

I have googled making perfumes out of Essential Oils and it seems bit of a minefield - you need top/middle notes, a base, some people put alcohol in etc.

I have ordered some clove oil but can anyone recommend what goes ' well' with it? Almond oil seems like a popular base but I don't like the smell of almond.

Any advice? It seems so expensive to buy the ' wrong' oils and get the scent wrong . I don't want it to be too overpowering.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Essential oil question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 05:42:59 PM »

Usually there is a base scent, usually musk.  Then apparently perfumers [sp] layer different chemicals to suit the person.

Remembering that scent alters dependent on the person; their hormonal state; what they eat regularly ........

Have a look at some of the web-sites, i.e. that French one le Pro? something? or Heacham Lavender at Caley Mill.  Ask the question via e-mail?

I no longer wear scent as it 'gets to me' when anxiety hits. 

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 07:14:40 PM »

I did a google; as you do ; and there are several sites relating to producing scent ....... I learned years ago that Yak musk was the base of many perfumes. 

Foxylady

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 07:51:47 PM »

I use Doterra fractionated coconut oil & mix a few drops of fragrance oil (serenity) & use it in a roller for my feet & over my clavicle as advised by lady I get massages from, to help relax/sleep. x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 04:21:53 PM »

Did U have a go?  I was advised that lavender shouldn't be used if one thinks that 1 might be pregnant but the therapist was unable to tell me why  :-\

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 04:51:42 PM »

I was advised that lavender shouldn't be used if one thinks that 1 might be pregnant but the therapist was unable to tell me why

Oh dear - I was told that lavender and chamomile were the safest and could be used with small children in a suitable carrier.

Still, the pregnancy part not longer applies to me  ;D     (I hope  :o )

ElkWarning

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 08:48:51 PM »

Almond oil is like a base oil for massage, so you'd add the essential oil to that to 'make it go further'.

For me, I know Geranium makes me absolutely insane, very zingy.  I can take or leave lavender, it's nice and all, but doesn't really have an affect, but I do love frankincense and sandalwood.

Is there anywhere you can go to 'sniff' the oils and see if they 'resonate' with you?

At the moment Lush are knocking out a body scrub called 'Rub Rub Rub' and it's just the best thing, but that's me, you're probably different.

It's super cool to experiment, find what works for you.

squeaker99

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 02:21:12 PM »

Just an update on Essential oils.
I bought my daughter a basic 10 x 10ml oil kit plus Neals yard book on essential oil perfume making.
We have been making perfumes together and I love it! We just add them with a base (Apricot) and alcohol (Vodka!)

I gave up trying to buy them individually online as the cheapest places (Think under £5 for 10ml)
had £50 minimum delivery charges. So we went to a small independent wholefoods shop in town where
you can take your time smelling the testers. They range from about £4 / 10ml bottle up to £10 ( for our favourite like Jasmine,
Frankincense and Germanium).

I have made one with a clove base which I love and another rose with tea tree and orange oil. They smell so fresh and
'unheadachey'  . I bought a load of little bottles with rollerball caps to store them in. x 10ml

If anyone knows what oils are good for anxiety / sleep aside from lavender let me know as  I'm not good with lavender.

Foxylady

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 09:14:11 PM »

Hi stellajane, no haven't heard of them, will seek them out though! Thanks. x

squeaker99

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 02:29:28 PM »

I am really enjoying making scents out of essential oils.
I have bought a starter pack of 10th then some individual ones like
Ylang Ylang, Rose and Geranium which I like the scents of and a second
hand book off Ebay on how to make scents. It's just the oils + vodka + a base oil really.

I put them in little 10ml rollerball bottles and just dab them on my wrists and ears.

Some like the teatree/lime or lavendar + orange oil are very calming.

Not a miracle cure for anything but a nice rewarding edition to my day and they don't
give me headaches like many shop bought perfumes do.

Clair96

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »

Please be careful with essential oils - they do have some contraindications (for example, don’t use citrus oils if you are going outside as they cause photosensitivity) Carrier oils such as Sweet Almond are not to make the essential oil go further - they are there to dilute an oil. Choose your carrier oil to support what you want to address, as they also can be used to support joint pain/inflammation etc.

mancmum

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 02:16:25 PM »

Just an update on Essential oils.
I bought my daughter a basic 10 x 10ml oil kit plus Neals yard book on essential oil perfume making.
We have been making perfumes together and I love it! We just add them with a base (Apricot) and alcohol (Vodka!)

I gave up trying to buy them individually online as the cheapest places (Think under £5 for 10ml)
had £50 minimum delivery charges. So we went to a small independent wholefoods shop in town where
you can take your time smelling the testers. They range from about £4 / 10ml bottle up to £10 ( for our favourite like Jasmine,
Frankincense and Germanium).

I have made one with a clove base which I love and another rose with tea tree and orange oil. They smell so fresh and
'unheadachey'  . I bought a load of little bottles with rollerball caps to store them in. x 10ml

If anyone knows what oils are good for anxiety / sleep aside from lavender let me know as  I'm not good with lavender.

Neroli is good for anxiety and calming you - said to increase serotonin production.  But, it's very floral and too much will blow your head off.  I'd advise just 2-3 drops :)