Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen gel over 60  (Read 1470 times)

Angie61

Oestrogen gel over 60
« on: May 13, 2020, 04:40:23 PM »

Hi I am a new member.  As background I am married, aged 61 and had a hysterectomy at the age of 39 (one ovary left), cervix also removed.  I started noticing menopausal symptoms at around 50 but soldiered on until the age of 52 when I started HRT (Premique) and continued with this for 3 years.  I then stopped HRT due to breast cancer scares at the time. 
I regret stopping HRT and have suffered on and off with hot flushes, low mood, irritability, and a total lack of libido.  I have moved house 3 times over the last 4 years and have tried at each GP surgery for go back onto HRT but to no avail due to my age, until I got lucky in January 2020.  I was referred to a private gynaecologist who then referred me to an NHS menopause clinic.  I had a telephone appointment at the menopause clinic this month and finally I have been prescribed Oestrogel Gel with a view to being prescribed Testosterone Gel in the future.  I am currently two weeks into using the Oestrogel Gel, my first week was disastrous and I ended up in A&E with palpitations but have persevered and am now less anxious and coping well ..apart from one problem .. I am suffering terribly with vulva soreness.  I have spoken to my GP today and they have prescribed Timodine cream, so will have to wait and see what happens.  I am also on Vagifem which i have been using for many years, although I have been asked to used Vagifem daily for 6 weeks to 'plump things up'.  Any advice on the soreness would be welcome.  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Oestrogen gel over 60
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 05:52:02 PM »

You are in good company!

Do up the amount of 'vagifem' sometimes ladies need two at night occasionally.  At least you are feeling some benefit. 

Have a look at 'sylc' and 'yes' products which can be applied to the vulval area.  The idea is to keep it moist and supple without it being sloppy ;-).  There are good bladder related threads as well as vaginal atrophy threads to read.  Make notes ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 09:42:19 PM »

Hi Angie61. Well done on persevering with the oestrogel and it's good news that you are being considered for testosterone - not everywhere will prescribe it.

As for the soreness it sounds as if your doctor thinks it could be linked to thrush so hopefully you will get relief soon. This often happens when first starting HRT - well it happened to me anyway  ;D 

You will find lots of help and advice on here so please keep posting.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Angie61

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 08:52:06 PM »

Thank you for your replies Taz2 and CLKD, much appreciated.   On the plus side the hot flushes have stopped, I am sleeping better and my mood has lightened.  Will try Yes or Sylk once the soreness subsides..hopefully..using Timodine cream.  Will keep posting my progress.   :)

Chihuahuachick

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 02:11:21 AM »

I have used coconut oil and it worked.

I was very sore and swollen, I didn't think the coconut oil would work but I have it a go.

I hope you get it sorted soon, it's a horrible feeling.

❤❤❤

Angie61

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice.  The Timodine was useless and have now been prescribed Daktacort cream for a week.  Getting fed up with the soreness now.   GP also suggested using Sudocrem which does seem to take the edge off the soreness.  Still sleeping well and no hot flushes anymore.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 12:16:57 PM »

I find KY Jelly and Savlon useful too as well as LIVE yoghurt which is soothing.  Use often, apply every hour until symptoms ease.  It's about keeping the skin moist to stop the dryness = itchiness. 

Angie61

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 09:39:32 AM »

Thanks again for all your advice and suggestions.
The soreness/burning only started 4 days after increasing the vagifem and starting on Oestrogel gel - wondering if I have an allergic reaction to the  estrogel gel?...have been using vagifem for years.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 10:52:06 AM »

The way to find out is to cleanse the area with cooled water, pat dry.  Then avoid the gel for 3 nights?  It could be the fillers/packaging rather than the active ingredient.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 03:33:34 PM »

Are you having any reaction to the skin where you apply the Oestrogel?

Taz x

Angie61

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 07:57:41 AM »

Hi Taz2,
No, no reaction at all to the oestrogel which I apply to my inner thigh.
Slowly the burning/soreness seems to be wearing off (after 3 weeks) and the only thing that seems to relieve it is sudocrem or KY jelly.  I think it may be a dryness thing and have ordered some YES vaginal moisturiser on internet.  Never had such an issue before starting oestrogel, just slight dryness but no burning or stinging.