Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mirena appointment & what to expect  (Read 1467 times)

AAM5

Mirena appointment & what to expect
« on: November 13, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »

Just had my appointment in this morning for my mirena to be fitted.  Start of December.

Bit nervous as I've never had one before and also know they can be a bit tricky to fit if you haven't had children.

Any tips or experiences I would really appreciate.  Also patches that are good / available would be happy to hear what anyone uses with the mirena x

Thanks Ladies 😘

SV66

Re: Mirena appointment & what to expect
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »

Hi there

I have a Mirena Coil and have had for many years

My personal experience is they are good, I'm also on Estradot patches but a very low dose because of the Mirena Coil

I still suffer with a few issues due to the Peri Meno but overall not to bad - hope all goes well x

AAM5

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 01:06:15 PM »

Thank you x

Cazikins

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 01:22:01 PM »

Hi AAM5,
I have never had children (or been pregnant) but have nah the Mirena coil fitted. The 1st one was when I was in my early 40's - for contraception & then later when the menopause struck.
I always, always told the gynae that I had never been pregnant etc prior to the insertion, although I would have thought they knew this from my notes, however I had one male gynae that stopped the procedure when I told him this!! All the female gynaes have given me extra lube & have generally been more gentler & understanding & it has been fitted without too many problems.
I'm not going to say it's easy because it isn't - but - it's never as bad as I imagined it would be.
I had about 4 fitted in total & they were the best form of HRT for me (along with tablets for estrogen). My last one was taken out when I was 56.
Good luck, just lay back, try to relax with deep breathing & chatter away to one of the lovely nurses who will be holding your hand. Talk about your holidays, friends, hobbies T.V., books etc anything to take your mind off what's going on down below.
It'll all be over in a few minutes & you will be so relieved.
Cazikins x

AAM5

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »

Thank you what a lovely post.

I'll definitely update on here after the appointment on the 3 December x

Nairn

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »

Hi AAM5

I think it depends on how sensitive you are and how sensitive your cervix is - I think we ladies who have not had children may be a little more so?  I know mine is!   I don't have a high pain threshold so on GP advice,  I took 2 strong painkillers (Neurofen Plus) about 1 hour before .  The procedure is quick, usually about 10 minutes if everything is straightforward.  I held on to the nurses hand and as Cazikins said chatted about anything to take my mind off things!   In terms of the procedure, its a bit like a longer,  more intensive smear test, with a sharp ouch at the end when they 'place it' - but its not unbearable.   I had cramps within the hour like bad period pain which carried on for a little while, a little bleed and then I rested - glad I took the day off.  However I also have friends who have felt absolutely fine and gone back to work - think everyone is different.   Unfortunately it did not work for me and was removed a few days later as I got an infection, but it works very well for lots of ladies combined with estrogen, and is probably one of the most straightforward methods.  One thing they may ask you is if you want the 'string' trimmed - its personal preference.   I did as I did not want them to catch - however unlikely, but don't worry, it will not come out on its own! Good luck, hope it all goes well for you

AAM5

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 10:44:52 PM »

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

It's worth a shot to just help with the bleeding at this stage x

Nairn

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 06:35:53 AM »

I was having the same problem, but asked to be referred to a consultant who has now put me on the estrogel and daily utrogesran tablets (i'm 52 btw) which so far is going really well with no bleed. I found that some HRT preparations made me bleed really heavily, in fact on Kilofem I bled heavily all the time - it was awful.  I'm sure the coil will help you, but if you,are at all unsure then do ask to be referred and check for options.  I know from my friends who have the coil they love it, so i'm sure you will be fine

AAM5

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 08:13:51 AM »

I'm in Scotland and it seems that Utrogestan is just not up for discussion. 

Definitely getting my hopes up that this works and full of worries if it doesn't. But that's the perimenopause for you isn't it   The heightened anxiety over everything x

Nairn

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 08:36:32 AM »

Hi again

I'm in Scotland as well.  I found out last week when I went to see a really lovely NHS consultant (after dreadful problems), that only consultants can prescribe it as its not currently licenced in Scotland, so I had to verbally agree to an unlicensed product (which is currently prescribed in the rest of the UK! ), so might be worth a referral if you wanted to explore that.  However she also said that the normal route is to prescribe the coil if the lady is happy with that approach.  PM me if you want more details. 

AAM5

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully the mirena will work and if not I'll ask for a referral and drop you a PM x thanks so much x 😘

AAM5

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »

Hi ladies x

Appointment getting closer for my first mirena next Tuesday 3 December x

Anxiety through the roof now as I keep reading posts on the forum and feel there's definitely more bad than good. 

If anyone else had some good stories about fitting and the benefits that would really help xx

Keeping my fingers crossed xx

ann58

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 03:00:47 PM »

I have had 2 Merina coils in total for hrt. (I have children).
I took pain killers an hour before and I also got diazepam from my doctor as I have anxiety.
It was uncomfortable but not painful. I had a bit of cramping for a couple of days after but after that I didn't even know it was there.
I had Estradot patches for the oestrogen. I started off with 50 mcg which worked fine for me. All my menopause symptoms disappeared and I only have good things to say about it.
Maybe if you are really anxious you could ask your gp about diazepam? My GP was happy to give it to me.
I have a very low pain threshold and usually say ouch before I'm even touched but I went through it again so it wasn't too bad :)

AAM5

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 07:06:12 AM »

Oh thank you for your reply x
That's a good suggestion. Definitely worth a shout xx

Poshpaws

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 05:47:05 PM »

I had hysterescopy yesterday four biopsies taken and now a six week wait for results - trying to stay positive

Also had the coil fitted at the same time

Honestly I was terrified but I shouldn't have been - the nurses were amazing - the consultant was lovely and I didn't feel anything at all

Took four painkillers 40 mins before procedure and took another four painkillers about five hours later just in case!

Haven't had to take anymore until this evening and have just taken two paracetamols but I've been up and doing stuff today and probably overdone it a bit

You'll be fine xxx
Pages: [1] 2