Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Magnesium Supplement Brands  (Read 2417 times)

Bobidy

Magnesium Supplement Brands
« on: October 29, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »

Hi

I'm just wondering if anybody can recommend good magnesium supplement brands please. It seems a bit of a minefield with different types of magnesium and doses. Thanks x

Sparrow

Re: Magnesium Supplement Brands
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »

Hi

I'm just wondering if anybody can recommend good magnesium supplement brands please. It seems a bit of a minefield with different types of magnesium and doses. Thanks x

I Always get mine from Healthspan.  Better quality and cheaper than H&B and Boots.  Don't trust Amazon products either as it's a lottery choosing a good supplier.

Foxylady

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 05:48:32 PM »

Just out of interest, Holland & Barratt are now selling magnesium citrate powder 375mg dose for half teaspoon mixed in water...far easier to swallow than the horse tranquillisers!!! I bought it today after my OH had seen mention of it in an article, he tried to order it online for me but wasn't available as it is new! x

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »

Just out of interest, Holland & Barratt are now selling magnesium citrate powder 375mg dose for half teaspoon mixed in water...far easier to swallow than the horse tranquillisers!!! I bought it today after my OH had seen mention of it in an article, he tried to order it online for me but wasn't available as it is new! x

I never swallow magnesium tablets whole (nearly choked to death when I was two so totally phobic).  I always crunch them up and swill down with a drop of milk.

Foxylady

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »

They are horrendous to swallow, I gag & get them down with difficulty every night, hence OH telling me about the powder. Think he's fed up of the noises coming from the kitchen trying to take them!!! ;D x

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »

Magnesium citrate is one of the better forms.  Magnesium is a bit of a laxative (think Milk of Magnesia  :o )

It comes in green leafy vegetables, nuts (almonds also good for cholesterol), wholegrains, seeds like pumpkin seeds, pulses like black beans and red kidney beans, fish and seafood (so you can get your omega 3's in too) and soya too.  Bananas and chocolate too.

All good stuff  ;D

Bobidy

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 08:48:57 AM »

Thanks ladies. I wonder if the citrate will irritate my stomach? I'm in the throes of hiatus hernia / acid reflux at the moment.

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »

Thanks ladies. I wonder if the citrate will irritate my stomach? I'm in the throes of hiatus hernia / acid reflux at the moment.

The general rule is that if it upsets your stomach you are taking to much and should reduce the dose.

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »

Natural Calm powder on Amazon. It lasts forever as you only need a quarter of a teaspoon per day.

It's magnesium carbonate and citric acid that combines to form magnesium citrate when hot water is added. It's highly bioavailable as you drink it so fresh and the only brand that is recommended in the Magnesium Miracle (aside from Carolyn Dean's own US formula).

Sparrow

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 10:41:41 AM »

Natural Calm powder on Amazon. It lasts forever as you only need a quarter of a teaspoon per day.

It's magnesium carbonate and citric acid that combines to form magnesium citrate when hot water is added. It's highly bioavailable as you drink it so fresh and the only brand that is recommended in the Magnesium Miracle (aside from Carolyn Dean's own US formula).

Glad you mentioned Carolyn Dean.  Her book has been invaluable to me for years. Also her website.

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 10:49:10 AM »

Hey, yes I bought one of her older books Hormone Balance which also has some good stuff in it.

She's also reminded me about caprylic acid which I'm taking again as so good for the gut bacteria. It lifts my mood immediately.

Harmony

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »

Another option if you have trouble swallowing big tablets is a tablet crusher. I bought a great one on Amazon - "Apex-Carex healthcare pill pulveriser". I bought another one first, but this one is far better. Nature's Best supplements are very good, and they sell magnesium citrate powder,  which is citrus flavoured and tastes nice. They also do it in tablets (which are quite large). Their nutrition advisors will send you free samples too. 🙂
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 02:57:25 PM by Harmony »

Foxylady

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »

I've used nature's best supplements before although not had their magnesium ones. Thanks dangermouse & shadyglade re Carolyn Dean, not heard or come across her, got her page opened up in another window to look at after this!!! x

Foxylady

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 06:46:57 PM »

I ordered carolyn dean's magneisum book (2017), thanks for the head's up ladies, look forward to reading it! x

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »

I ordered carolyn dean's magneisum book (2017), thanks for the head's up ladies, look forward to reading it! x

:great: