Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: advice please re AD for hot flushes and migraines  (Read 2354 times)

Flower99

• First Flush
advice please re AD for hot flushes and migraines
« on: November 07, 2019, 11:49:09 PM »

Hi
I am a nene looking for some advice.  I am 2 years since my last period, I have had flushes, night sweats, difficulty sleeping and migraines and I've got to the stage of needing something to help.  I a
Can't take HRT or any oestrogen due to another medical condition.  I have been prescribed Citalopram for these symptoms but having looked a bit on the site I'm quite scared now to take them.  I am a little bit low in mood, definitely not depressed more tired, cranky and a bit flat.
Can anyone offer me any advice please or let me know their experiences re this.
Thanks
Connie

Taz2

Re: advice please re AD for hot flushes and migraines
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 12:48:41 AM »

Hi Connie. If you are unable to use HRT then antidepressants can be prescribed to help with hot flushes. The dose used is less than the dose used for depression. Many women have found them to be effective for hot flushes but they don't help with other aspects of meno. Another drug which has had a good press in alleviating hot flushes is a blood pressure medication called Clonidine or Dixarit.

What condition has ruled out HRT if you don't mind me asking.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Flower99

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 12:13:47 PM »

Hi Taz.
Thank you fir your reply. I have a blood clotting history of Pulmonary Embolism and a strong family history of this which ruled out any oestrogen either direct or with HRT. I am struggling with migraines, night sweats,mand hot flushes and I know this isn't a biggie but greasy hair is my newest symptom so I can tell that things are changing again ie prob another drop in oestrogen plus I'm feeling quite cranky too. I think I'm a bit scared of the AD ie Citalopram side effects and the long term effects of being on these worries me. I have tried to manage so far without any medical intervention by just accepting it as it is but I'm now talking myself out of trying the AD's from what I've read.
Connie 

Foxylady

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »

Flower99, I started on Fluoxetine for sweats, before starting HRT. As mentioned previously the lower dose the better it is for sweats/flushes. Worked well for me, still taking it but thinking of coming off in the new year. x