Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: feeling anxious on utrogestan  (Read 1414 times)

ruth12

feeling anxious on utrogestan
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:39:32 PM »

Hi there. I am a newbie. 45 yrs old, Peri menopausal and have been on Estradot 25 and Utrogestan 200 for just a week. Took the Utrogestan last night and have been terribly anxious and teary today. Not sure if its connected or just the rollercoaster ride I'm on!

AG

Re: feeling anxious on utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 05:12:50 PM »

Hi, I started HRT a few weeks ago initially with Utrogestan 100 tablets and patches but could not stomach the Utrogestan, it made me very ill very quickly but different people react differently. Peri in general is a difficult time since one's own hormones are usually fluctuating and one can be fine one day and not great the next (using the same HRT or other meds or nothing). You may be able to try a different type of progesterone. All the best, AG

ruth12

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »

Thanks for your reply AG. This is all new at the moment for me and I think I need to give the meds a chance. Been feeling awful for a couple of years with flushes, sweats, periods up and down and the psychological symptoms in particular. Its good to know I am in good company and not alone on this journey.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »

Hi ruth12

:welcomemm:

Whereabouts are you in menopause ie what have your periods been doing in the last few months - do they come regularly or are they sporadic, heavy, light etc? That is a pretty low dose of oestrogen and the licensed dose of utrogestan - which might be a bit much - although also depends what sort of bleeds you've been having. A higher dose is better for heavier bleeds in peri.

I've never taken utrogestan orally but if the side effects persists you can use it vaginally (off licence in UK) which has fewer side effects usually and more gets to where it is needed ie the uterus. Depending on why your doc gave you that dose, and your natural periods - if after a few cycles you're not getting much of a bleed you might be able to reduce the dose to 100 mg per cycle especially if used vaginally but be sure that your doc is aware.

Hurdity x

ruth12

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 06:11:46 AM »

Hi Hurdity,
My periods are regular in the sense they arrive any where from every 18-23 days. Incredibly light and was convinced I wasn't getting one in September...wrong! I noticed hot flushes, sweats and changes in my periods from every 28 days, heavy bleeding 4-5 days to what I experience now 2 years ago.
The utrogestan capsules are 100mg taken twice nightly.
My Dr is based here in Dumfries and wanted to start me low to begin with.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 07:20:58 PM »

Ah thanks - I understand now. As your periods have become closer together you are most likely still ovulating regularly but because your hormone levels are beginning to go erratic your hot flushes have started - I can see why you would start at a low dose because at this point your oestrogen levels can get very high, just before peri-menopause proper, but the low dose patch will ensure they don't crash too far at the end of your cycle just before your bleed.

Dumfries - well I imagine everyone there is clued up about menopause as that's where Dr Currie and (some of) the Menopause Matters team are based!!

I hope it works for you and you are settling on the utrogestan.

Let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x

ruth12

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 07:29:43 AM »

Thanks for the reply Hurdirty and the explanation regarding my levels crashing before my period.
Very fortunate to be living where I do. The menopause team have been so understanding and helpful, more helpful than my GP I have to say!
I'll let you know how I get on and will update soon.
Thanks again
Ruth x

AdeleOx

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 06:26:25 PM »

I started on this 33 days ago and initially felt great but have stated getting re-flux and heartburn. Low mood and anxiety has appeared again as well. However, my Gynae has stated to persevere as these are side effects that take up to 3 months to settle. I am relying on her experience and expertise and coping daily with the side effects. I am hopeful it will get better  :)