Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New to it all  (Read 1506 times)

Gillyv

New to it all
« on: October 23, 2019, 09:21:40 AM »

Hi,

I have been having symptoms for the past 3yrs or so ( when I look back). Earlier this year it all came crashing down when I had a run of panic attacks. After many visits to the GP together we concluded that I was perimenopausel. So far I have been prescribed vital citalopram, setraline both didn't agree with me. I am now trying fluoxetine. 
My symptoms fluctuate from extreme nausea, a really weird feeling of being unwell where I am convinced that I have something nasty, I feel that I am floating around like everything is in slow motion. Also  terrible gas / upset tummy. Not having traditional hot flushes (sweating) but do get hot but can then feel cold. 
I am finding dealing with the nausea and upset tummy the most difficult.
About 90%of the time I have one of these symptoms. 10% of the time I can feel almost normal.
I am still having periods but not regular.
I have a very supportive husband and some good friends but would like to talk to ladies that have been through or going through the same. I worry that my symptoms aren't normal xxx

Gilly v😊

Tc

Re: New to it all
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »

Gilly.

:welcomemm:

Good to meet you. You have come to the right place. You are most definitely not alone in your symptoms.

I am post menopause and didnt realy have peri due to surgery but there are lots of ladies here who are in or have been through peri and I'm sure they will be along to reply soon. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »

Sounds normal from where I'm sitting  ::)

If we remember how ladies have morning sickness and cravings during pregnancy, it stands to reason that at peri we can experience nausea.  It was my worst problem and caused intense anxiety  :'(

Browse round.  Make notes!

I was advised to eat every 3 hours to stop the nausea: idea is to spread the diet throughout 24 hours.  Lots of slow release carbs like porridge, bananas, dried fruits and nuts and small meals often.

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »

Gilly,
Welcome. I too have tried sertraline (6 days), citalopram (14 weeks) and now fluoxetine ... 4 weeks, 3 days.
I also feel sh*t. Am in bed right now.  :(
Are you on any hrt ? Are you able to try ? Has your Dr offered it to you ?
xx

Gillyv

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 01:31:03 PM »

Hi
Thank you for your replies
My GP has mentioned HRT but doesn't want me to have it just yet as I am still having some periods. I am also a little reluctant as my mum has had bread CA.
I am just on day 3 of the fluoxetine, so will give it a chance to work.
😊
Gilly

Ladybt28

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »

Hi Gillyv and welcome to our happy little band!

There is no issue with having hrt when you are still having periods!  Urgh What is it with GP's.  I was put on hrt when I was peri at 45.  I am now 57 and been on it all this time. I have no idea when my periods actually stopped but the more important thing was when my symptoms started and how they got worse and worse through peri but eventually got controlled by one kind of hrt.
All the symptoms you describe are pretty common with peri and I can never work out where GP's get this idea that you should only treat meno when you are post meno.  The really horrible stuff can start years before and make life a complete misery.  Funny enough I ditched my anti-depressants that I had been on years when I got well into peri and onto the right hrt for me but GP's (as you will see well documented on here) seem to think that they are the first line of treatment for a peri women.

The breast cancer issue is the more worrying one but there are plenty of peri women with family history of breast cancer that are on hrt and plenty of research and figures about so you can make up your own mind.  Quite a bit on the forum as it is often up for discussion.  See how you go but if the symptoms don't settle and get worse then possible read up and tell the GP what you want to do instead of them dictating based on their limited knowledge because a lot of GP's have very limited or even no knowledge of peri/meno at all and know even less about how hrt works. x

Gillyv

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 02:02:55 PM »

Hi,

Thank you all for replies, I will read up on the hurt so I am well informed for my next go visit.

Any advice for upset tummy?
I am almost constantly nauseous my tummy makes some strange noises , I have loose stools most mornings and hardly ever feel hungry. I do work shifts so I am sure that doesn't help, but it has got worse over the past few weeks, especially before I am going to get a period ( which are irregular) x

Gillyv :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::)

10 mins. prior to a bleed I would have to rush to the loo even if a period wasn't due.  The 'runs', no chance, had to go NOW!  Sometimes during my menstruating years I would have constipation .  It was part of the 'normal' cycle for me.

Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Did your Mum have cancer that was oestrogen dominant?  Quality of Life is important and if hormones are natural why is do people hinge on developing cancer  :-\.  Why do some develop it and others not? 

Browse round. Make notes  ;)

Gillyv

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 10:54:08 PM »

Hi ladies,

Question
Is it normal to feel really awful and poorly mainly in the mornings and not feel anything like your normal self for the rest of the day. It is very frightening.
I seem to be like this most days,. I feel like I am loosing myself  don't understand what is happening. All there's symptoms seem to fluctuate so much, Help

Gillyv

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 03:45:39 PM »

Hi Gillyv

Sorry to hear about your symptoms. Have you had the nausea and upset stomach, bowel problems investigated? If you have lost our appetite too then this needs looking into aside from menopause. Also have you had baseline blood tests to rule out other conditions eg thryoid etc and to make sure everything is generally OK? Doc should really do this before deciding the symptoms are definitely due to menopause.

I had stomach issues but they seem to have resolved by going gluten free - heaven knows why this suddenely starts to happen at my adavnced age and well post-meno but hormones seem to have a weird effect on our digestive system. Something to think about once you've had a check--up with the doc, maybe?

Shift work if it includes night working is notorious for upsetting our digestive system as you are constantly eating at the wrong time but if you're  not hungry this does need looking into.

Hurdity x  :welcomemm:

Gillyv

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 05:31:08 PM »

Thanks hurdity

My tummy and upset bowels have calmed down now, but I feel a mixture of nausea a bit sort of spaced out and just strange. It fluctuates throughout the day but is worse in the mornings and usually by tea time I am beginning to feel like me again. I am seeing my go in a couple of weeks but wondered if anyone else is going through or has been similar to me. 

Gillyv

AG

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »

Hi,

I am in very late peri and have had pretty bad symptoms from later on in 2017 with long phases of when I felt completely awful during the day, nauseous, dizzy, anxiety I never suffered from before all this, and completely exhausted even after sleep etc and lots of other symptoms, all this can be part of this transition unfortunately. I am now slowly improving but it is a slow process. It may be worth picking up with your GP again, and for HRT if you find one that suits you that may help. I have not been lucky with HRT but it can help a lot of women. What helped me most is exercising even if it is just a short walk at times, and a low dose of magnesium for nausea of fizzy drinks at times (not the best option for dental health though). All the best, AG