Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Not sure what route to take  (Read 904 times)

KFlack

Not sure what route to take
« on: October 14, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »

Hi all looking for some initial advice.  I am 49 years old, 50 in a couple of weeks. I have had no periods for 10 months and prior to this they were a bit irregular and I had one or two months hot flushes at night.  Now in the last 2 months since returning from holiday I am having major hot flushes all night and a few during the day.  My gp has suggested a coil plus hrt tablets or gel.  Or the mini pill and hrt.  I am a bit reluctant for hrt as my grandmother had breast cancer.  As they have only just started I am wondering if I should try the herbal route first ie menopace? I have been told I need contraception as well due to me being under 50.  So any advice greatly received as to whether its worth persevering for a while or whether to go the hrt route? Thanx in advance currently sitting here sweating away  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Not sure what route to take
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 08:46:38 AM »

Hi! join The Club  ::)

The breast cancer link is very little to worry abut.  What type of cancer did your Grandmother have and at what age?

Quality of Life is important.  Your GP sounds clued up.  Maybe put the word Mirena into the search box and see what pops up?

Some find that herbals help initially but as hormone upheaval takes over, any benefit is lost.

KFlack

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »

Thanx for your reply.  I'm just a bit reluctant to go fully into hrt when I am having no periods and no other symptom apart from hot flushes and night sweats.  Although after one every hour during the night and all day today I may have to.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 05:49:55 PM »

Certainly HRT doesn't suit everyone.  It also depends on what your work situation is ..... if you are in an office alone you can flush, if meeting and greeting it may be more difficult.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 07:14:45 PM »

Hi Tabby69

:welcomemm:

I'm just a bit reluctant to go fully into hrt when I am having no periods and no other symptom apart from hot flushes and night sweats.  Although after one every hour during the night and all day today I may have to.

Well that is exactly the reason most of us start taking HRT in the first place! Periods barely there - ie late peri-menopause and unbearable flushes and sweats. If it was your grandmother then maybe not a genetic link depending what age she was when she developed bc? Also being overweight (or rather, too fat), and consuming a lot of alcohol are both high risk factors for breast cancer so if you concentrate on minnimising other risks and if you need to, get yourself in the best shape possible ( re diet and exercise too) then you will be doing the best you can for your body. The general principle anyway as that all things being equal - under 60 the benefits of HRT exceed the risks for most women - in terms of bone protection and cardiovascular health.

Sounds like a good suggestion from your doc re the Mirena coil ( as this will do for contraception too) - together with patches or gel for the oestrogen. You will be amazed at how quickly these will start to work on your flushes and sweats - which will become a thing of the past.

I was in your position in my early - mid 50's - terrible flushes and sweats, trying to work full-time in place with lots of young men etc etc. Really changed my life and never looked back 12 years later - still on HRT and flush/sweat-free! Like CLKD says - quality of life is important at this stage in your life....

Hurdity x

KFlack

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 09:31:32 PM »

Thank you both that's really helpful.  A trip to the gp is in order  ;D