Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: new here - need help please  (Read 4214 times)

lili65

new here - need help please
« on: September 19, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »

Hello everybody!

It's my first post and I hope to find help and new friends here!

I'm 54 and yesterday something strange and scaring has happened: a small amount of bright red blood on the toilet paper almost every time I wipe. For now, no need of panty liners or tampons. It is about 10-12 days after my latest period - this time I forgot to write down the date. I've also had a little pain in the right part of the abdomen and in the back (I don't know if it's related to spotting, because I often suffer from back pain). I am not yet in menopause and never missed a period. No hot flushes,no mood changes, no weight gain. I've  just noticed some changes: I've always had period about every 24 days, but in May and in June every 30-31 days; a few times, immediately before the period, I have had brown spots.
I used to have ovulatory spotting for a few years when I was young and my GP told me it was nothing to be worried about; then it returned two times: the first in Nov. 2017, a few weeks before my dad's death of cancers, and then in March 2019. These past years have been very very stressing for me, I've been dad's caregiver and now I am the sole caregiver of my old mom's too. Bad thoughts don't let me sleep well and enough. I have job problems too.

Can my spotting indicate something serious? Is it urgent to see my GP and/or an ob/gyn?  I'm also afraid this spotting can turn into an hemorrage; do you think it's possible?

Thanks and big hugs to everybody.

sheila99

Re: new here - need help please
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »

Hello and welcome. I think you're in peri when anything can happen. In early peri I've had some brown before a period, I don't think it's anything to worry about. I would suggest a visit to gp for the bright red blood. It could be VA. When I had it some years ago it was pre-cancerous cell changes so imo best to get it checked out. There may well be other causes but I can't think of them right now.

lili65

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »

OMG Sheila, pre-cancerous cells! This scares me a lot! I'm happy you are ok now...
thank you very much for your reply

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 05:44:05 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you. They were PRE cancerous so easily treatable but obviously not something you want to leave. And yours may not be that anyway but best to be sure.

lili65

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:21:50 PM »

don't worry... thanks for your kind words and thanks again for your message. I hope someone else can tell me about potential different causes of my spotting...   :'(

lili65

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 07:03:45 PM »

I thank you Jaypo for your quick reply to my question (p.s.: your dogs are very cute :))! Tomorrow I and my husband will be free from work; we've planned a short trip but just think I'm so worried that I don't know if it would be better to stay at home...

lili65

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 07:37:21 PM »

Thanks again for being so caring and thanks for your patience. Yes, Sheila and Jaypo, I have found new friends here! Good night! P. S. I'll keep you informed after having seen a doctor

Machair

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 09:24:33 AM »

This sounds very much like ovulation spotting if it is 12 days since your last period. Have you got any signs of ovulation like increased cervical mucus or breast tenderness?  Also brown spotting before a period is often low progesterone and the period just starting but having a delayed beginning. Of course there can be so many other causes but these are the most common.
Best to get checked if you are concerned but don't worry. I know it is hard as like yourself I have had close contact with relatives with cancer, and it is horrid as it makes you so sensitive to things in yourself. My Dad has bladder cancer and I have sat next to him so many times for surgeries, and every twinge or thing I have makes me panic.
If it was me I would probably wait a couple of days to see what happens, and then if it stops and a period starts 2 weeks later you would know it is linked to ovulation as you have had this before. You could still then check into the GP for advice. Of course if anything changes or gets worse or there is severe pain get checked out straight away.
Whatever happens just know you are not alone and you have new friends here.Sending you lots of hugs. xxxx
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:45:03 AM by Machair »

lili65

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »

Dearest Machair, your sweet words are so touching... First, I'm so sorry about your Dad! And you're right, my Dad's cancers have really changed my life,now everything scares me, every little sign of illness in myself, my mom, my husband, even my cat! makes me think about the worst things. You also have to consider that my husband too has been an oncological patient. He had acute leukemia just 8 months after our wedding (thank God he's ok, he won his battle against this monster, that unfortunately stole our chances to have children... you all are friends of mine and I feel free to vent!).
Back to my problem, yes, I have thought about ovulation (I've hade pain in the right side of my belly and lymph node in the groin, as sometimes happens to me during ovulation). Today I've had less spotting and the colour of blood is brown now. In any case I want to see my GP, maybe asking her if I can do blood test to check my hormone levels. Can it be a good idea?

I thank you again for your wise suggestions and for your words of encouragement. I really feel they come from your heart and, thanks to you and all the ones who have read and/or answered my post, I feel no more alone.

Hugs to all, Lili

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »

Hello lili65 and welcome to the forum.

I see that sheila 99 has mentioned that vaginal atrophy was the cause of her bleeding and she was found to have pre cancerous cells which were successfully treated. I thought I would add that a friend of mine had similar bleeding but it was found to be caused by the thinning of the skin due to low oestrogen. She had some topical treatment for VA and she was fine. All that was a few years ago and she has been well since.  I think her story demonstrates that there can be other reasons for this condition  although obviously it's best to get checked out.

I hope this reassures you and do keep us updated.

Wishing you well.

K.

lili65

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 12:40:05 PM »

Hello Kathleen and thank you very much for your post... Your support means so much to me! Lots of love, lili

Machair

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 01:41:24 PM »

I think speaking to the GP will give you reassurance and peace of mind which in itself is worth its weight in gold.
I personally have found perimenopause very challenging as it has been along the same time frame as losing my Mum, caring for my Dad, and saying goodbye to two of my beloved Persian cats. It is the last thing women need at this stage of life to be having all this to deal with.
You are very similar to me as I had regular periods at 54 so the end may be some years away for you. I also had mid cycle bleeding as well. I have a thread called late menopause on here which should come up if you search for it which might help too.xx

lili65

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 03:54:50 PM »

Yes, dear Machair, we are similar, not only for as regards menopause. We've gone through the same experiences with our parents. We both love cats too.
I totally agree with what you have written.
Oh, and I will surely read your post about late menopause. Thanks for the suggestion and good evening.

xxxx Lili

Machair

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »

How are you doing now has the bleeding stopped? Have you any signs of ovulation like increased cervical mucus or breast tenderness? Hope you are feeling happier today xxxx

lili65

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »

Machair you are so dear, you keep me in your thoughts. Thank you very much! TodayI feel better, no more  blood (let's keep fingers crossed), just a little brown stuff, only once... Yes, yesterday there's been a little mucus too. I'm thing about another thing: may stress cause the spotting? The day before my spotting started, I've gpt a Whatsapp from my close friend's husband - he wrote she had some urgent tests because she fell ill. she's better now, but at first the news gave me such a fright.

well, I thank you again for being my distant but true friend e send you and the other members many hugs!

xxxx lili
Pages: [1] 2