Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Treatment for hot flushes as an alternative to HRT  (Read 1627 times)

Jari

Re: Treatment for hot flushes as an alternative to HRT
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 11:36:20 AM »

Hi Pandora, I was only on hrt 2 months, but when I came off it, it took 2-3 months for my hot flushes to return, but, they were definitely less intense..

I'm wondering, as you were on hrt for 15 years, the hormones with the hrt will take, i guess, at least 2-3 months to leave your system??!

So, what you're now experiencing is likely the return to your “natural hormone levels” ?!

How many years post meno are you?
Just out of interest, what is your bmi?
Are you getting regular good exercise?
I would think that they won't continue to get worse, but will gradually level out and then start to decrease as your body finds its way again.. x

Pandora

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 06:08:08 PM »

Hi Jari

I am 63 years old, dont know how many years post menopause that is.  My BMI is 23.3.  I do get some excercise, but not enough probably.

Pandora

Jari

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »

Hi Pandora

Post menopause starts 1 year after your last period..

Your bmi is a good level! 👍

At 63 I would guess that your body just needs a little time to adjust and allow for all the hrt hormones to leave your body.
My guess is that things will start to balance out in a month or two. Keep posting how you're doing!! X

Pandora

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 04:00:54 PM »

Thanks for all your good wishes. I will let you know how it goes.

Pandora

paisley

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »

I had a total hysterectomy in May 2011 because of a severe intolerance to progesterone. I was in peri menopause before this.
I have been on HRT for 10 years. I decided to come off HRT in June 2017 & my symptoms gradually came back over 6 months until I couldn't cope with them anymore & had to go back on HRT but everyone reacts to HRT differently I think

onion relish

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2019, 04:52:50 PM »

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this post!

Can anyone help me please?

I've always had severe PMS (suicidal most months). My first HRT was Elleste Duet (Sp?) but I had to come off that as it was really disturbing my mental health. I then went on to Evorel (the one that has different patches) and it suited my mental health in that I was back to a one in three week of bad PMS. Patches kept falling off as well.

Now I'm on Oestrogel and Provera 2.5mg (I started off every day but due to continuous bleeding am now taking it three out of four weeks (now bleeding three out of four weeks).

I can cope with the bleeding but not the moods. I'm almost murderous most of the time, swinging to suicidal the rest.

My gynae is lovely - it took me years to find her on NHS as we have no meno clinic here and the other gynae and GPs I've seen have, frankly, been quite awful. The trouble is she doesn't want me to try Utrogesten (sp?). I have no idea why. She just said it wouldn't suit me.

Now, I'm being sent for a hysteroscopy I don't believe I need - she stated abnormal bleeding and family history in my letter (I don't have a family history and the abnormal bleeding is cyclical with the tablets). I don't want to refuse as I risk upsetting the one good medical professional I've seen.

Any help greatly appreciated and sorry to hijack.

Jari

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 06:27:10 PM »

Hi onion relish, not hijackig at all!! ;)

It's nice that you've found a gynae that you get on with, but you mustn't feel like you have to have a hysteroscopy just to please her.
I would feel quite stressed by that, as I'm sure you are and I would definitely be asking her to explain why she feels you need one. Just email her or make an appointment and ask her that you don't understand it and can she explain. I think that's normal and you shouldn't feel bad about that. Absolutely not! She may well be very nice, but she may have missed something and it's worth questioning her on this.
X

onion relish

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 08:22:31 PM »

Hi Jari. Thanks for replying.

I had an appointment to see her in a few weeks but she cancelled it as she wants the hysteroscopy result first.

Her secretary refuses to let me speak to her until I've had the results, too.

Looks like I'm on my own and off HRT unless I go to the appointment and try to explain to the person doing it. I suffer with severe anxiety so explaining is often a problem.

I just feel like such an idiot/baby about refusing (huge backstory - I'm under a psych/sex therapist for my issues).

I can't be the only one like this can I?

Jari

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »

Hi onion relish,
I do understand and I think you should talk/email her or her secretary or through your gp and explain your concerns and that you'd like to know exactly why you need this.
I would want to know the same. You deserve to know exactly why you need it and there should be no problem to explain that.  I think I'd explain why you don't feel it's necessary and your concerns about the procedure and see what she says.
Hrt estrogen builds up the lining in the womb and the progesterone triggers the shedding of the lining, so that's maybe why you've been bleeding?!  I'm just guessing, but maybe she's concerned that the hrt is causing you to bleed too much. Not sure, just a thought?! Don't be worried to email and tell her your concerns! X

onion relish

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2019, 12:33:03 PM »

Thanks, Jari.

I was fine on Evorel - a "period" every month. It was only when she put me on a no-bleed regime that I started with the constant bleeding. She changed me to three weeks of Provera so now I'm not bleeding for the week following my week off.

If it was intermittent I'd understand her worry but I'm like clockwork so I wouldn't consider it unexplained bleeding. I've just never reacted well physically or emotionally to any form of progesterone. My moods are also following the bleeding/non-bleeding.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can here as I'm completely out at sea but it seems to make sense to me.

If anyone reading this can tell me I'm wrong (or right) please can they clarify as simply as possible?

Thanks again, Jari (and everyone else past or future who's helped).
Pages: 1 [2]