Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Treatment for hot flushes as an alternative to HRT  (Read 1578 times)

Pandora

Treatment for hot flushes as an alternative to HRT
« on: September 11, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »

Hi All

I came off HRT in February this year as I had hyperplasia, not for the first time. I had been on HRT for over 15 years. I decided that I would try to come off it and see how I felt, also I was fed up of the progesterone routine, how it made me feel and the awful bleeding. Up to now I am feeling ok apart from hot flushes and a general feeling of overheating especially during the very hot weather.

I did visit my GP and asked for Clonodine, as I had heard from someone this was used for hot flushes. I was told they dont prescribe it and it is not very efficient anyway. I have just struggled along with the flushes. I am trying Starflower but not sure if this is helping, I have been taking it for about 4 weeks, but not noticed any difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pandora

Mogster71

Re: Treatment for hot flushes as an alternative to HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »

Hi Pandora

Have you tried Sage at all?? It seems to be the thing most health food shops stock for hot flushes. Worth a shot or a chat with someone if you've got a good independent store nearby?

All the best
Mog

Pandora

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »

Hi
Thanks for replying. I have tried sage some years ago but unfortunately it didnt help.

Pandora

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »

Hello Pandora

I am also off all my HRT mainly because I was concerned about the mood effects of progesterone. Unfortunately I think that I didn't have enough oestrogen to counter balance this and every time I increased oestrogen I had lots of bleeding.

The lovely ladies on the forum suggest that it takes three months for all HRT to leave your body. Can I ask if that was your experience.

I'm sorry that I can't help with your specific question as flushes were never a huge problem for me and still aren't even now at two months without hormones. I seem to have alll the emotional problems instead.

Hopefully you'll have some more advice soon that will help you in finding a solution to your problem.

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:21:36 PM »

I wonder how long HRT actually takes to 'leave' the body  :-\

Maybe ask for the appropriate anti-depressant, known to ease hot flushes?

Pandora

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 12:40:49 PM »

Hi Kathleen

I came off HRT patches in February this year. I found that I was ok with no real side effects (only flushes), which was lucky. I had been on it as I said earlier over 15 years. I found taking the progesterone quite difficult and the effects lasted weeks. I was advised at the hospital to come off it as I had hyperplasia. They were prepared to let me have hysterectomy if I needed to go back on HRT, but im ok so hopefully that is not necessary.

Maybe you still need it if you are having emotional problems. I first went on HRT as I too had emotional problems.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Pandora

Pandora

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 12:43:58 PM »

Hi CKLD

Yes I think I will ask about anti=depressants. It was on This Morning today, Dr Zoe said, " ask your gp for clonodine or P....c  (dont know if Im allowed to say it)

Thanks 

Pandora

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »

Let us know how you get on.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 01:36:43 PM »

Hello again Pandora.

I am taking Venlafaxine which is said to treat hot flushes which may be why mine are not too extreme. This may be an anti depressant you could ask for.

The emotional struggles have been my worst and most persistent problem. Can I ask if HRT completely resolved those for you and I assume that since coming off HRT they haven't returned.

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »

Thing is - many drugs World wide have been found to ease symptoms of conditions that they were not initially designed for.  I don't see a problem ....... forget the terminology, i.e. anti-depressant and look at drugs that are enabling?

Pandora

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »

Hi all

I initially started on tablet form HRT, then after a couple of years started the patches, twice a week. Yes they really did help with my emotional symptoms, but most of all helped me feel normal rather than always feeling not myself but couldn't really put my finger on it. I have felt ok and normal since I came off it, which is good.

I was pleased they offered me the hysterectomy at the hospital, as yes they were taking my symptoms serious, and I didnt worry as much about symptoms returning and being left with no HRT. When I had hospital appointments previously I felt bullied to come off it, I refused to. I came off it this time as a. I wanted to , and, b. they offered me the hysterectomy . I felt that their attitude had completely changed, not mine.

Yes I had always had the regular bleeding regime, but hated it. I worried that taking progesterone all the time would make me feel awful, as it had before and after the bleed.

Pandora

weathergirl

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 06:54:09 PM »

Pandora good luck with all of this.  I hope you continue to feel okay.  Low dose AD's have been VERY helpful to a few women I know and have give them a nearly hot flush-free life.  They truly can help.  It's up to each person to decide, but they are definitely worth considering.  I have used them off/on at various times in my life and never had any difficulty stopping them. I stopped my HRT about 2 months ago and so far, aside from some flushes at night, all has been okay.  Good luck!

ollie51

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 08:12:57 PM »

I stopped hrt 7 weeks ago.
I started getting awful hot flushes and night sweats, I was also not sleeping well. For the last week I've been taking 2 magnesium tablets at night to see if it would help me sleep better. It has really helped and also has helped with flushes. I've only been feeling slightly warm a couple of times a day and fine at night.
Maybe worth a try.
I don't know how long this will continue but I definately feel so much better.

Jari

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »

Hi Pandora, as you've now been off hrt 6-7 months, i wondered if your hot flushes have been getting less and less or not? X

Pandora

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 11:28:01 AM »

Hi Jara
The hot flushes seem to have got worse, but it could be the warmer weather I suppose.

Pandora
Pages: [1] 2