Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 719 times)

Jash1066

• First Flush
« on: September 09, 2019, 07:03:56 PM »

Hi all I'm a newby to the site after some advice/pearls of wisdom

I have been “going through this wonderful menopause process” for about 10 years.  No periods for 2 1/2.  Recently visited the g.p for a smear only to be told that I have shut up shop downstairs if you get my drift-with severe VA.  I knew things hadn't been good for a while but this came as quite a shock.

Anyway I was prescribed Ovestin cream to apply twice daily. I was also given Femeston 0.5/2 mg HRT

I started using the cream about a month ago but decided to delay the tablets until I was back in work after the summer hols.

I noticed that over the weekend I started to feel unwell.  Very tired, spaced out, shivers with a headache and an out of body feeling (strange I know).  My flushes also intensified  It felt a bit like I did at the very beginning of the peri stage.  I didn't use the cream last night or this morning and by lunchtime today all symptoms have disappeared.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this when using Ovestin cream. I also wondered could it be the small amount of estrogen in the cream is making my body react like this and if I starting the HRT this would push my estrogen levels up improving my symptoms.

Sorry to ramble on

Living in hope of some wisdom

Dancinggirl

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:09:22 PM »

Welcome to Mm

I think it very unlikely that it's the oestrogen cream giving these side effects, especially if you have been using it for a month already. The oestrogen dose is very, very small and very little is absorbed systemically so this is why side effects are unlikely. It takes around 2 years after your last natural period for the oestrogen levels to bottom out so you may be getting a few more menopause symptoms now.
You could have had a 24hr virus or bug or even a mild migraine. It is also important to eat small amounts regularly through the day as we can sometime be more susceptible to low blood sugar which can make you feel dizzy and generally unwell - flushes can also increase if blood sugar level is low. Do try eating a banana or a small handful of nuts between meals if need be. It is vey common to experience more headaches when menopause hits.
I'm not surprised you have urogenital atrophy ( this is very common) and local oestrogen cream or pessaries are excellent for treating this. Keep using the cream and perhaps use the systemic HRT if your general menopause systems get troublesome. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 07:10:03 AM »

It isn't clear whether you began the HRT ?   When I had 'tamoxifen', 36 hours after the 1st pill I felt really ill, like I had 'flu  :-\.  No one had warned me.  The drug continued to make me feel ill so after 4 months I stopped.

However, treatment for atrophy has had no side effects other than what it is designed to do  ;).  4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o

Headaches can be caused by dehydration.  As DG suggests, graze  ;)