Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What a weekend!  (Read 17529 times)

Focus

What a weekend!
« on: September 02, 2019, 12:07:12 PM »

I was away with my fiancé. We climbed Ben Nevis on Saturday and then lay in a hot tub under the stars at night.

Honestly, one of the best weekends of my life.

The weather was quite bad on Saturday, we had to walk through a waterfall about half way up the Ben, the rain had been utterly torrential all the previous night and for most of the morning . My fiancé was totally fine with it, he's unbelievably fit and isn't phased by anything like that. I was a bit nervous - but I did it!! I'm still a bit shell shocked.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What a weekend!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 12:09:00 PM »

:foryou:  crikey.  Would U do it again ?

Were your legs stiff  ;D

Perinowpost

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 12:17:55 PM »

Well done you Focus, I'm impressed x

Focus

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 12:33:58 PM »

:foryou:  crikey.  Would U do it again ?

Were your legs stiff  ;D

Oh gosh, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Yeah, a little. I've got a long standing back injury, so when that kicks off it affects my hips/pelvis and knees as well. But I had no problems going up. I was definitely fit enough for that part. I just need the fuel in my body for that. I'm not a big eater, so it's taken me a while to work out what I need to eat on the day to be able to do these things.

We're already planning a two munros-in-a-day for our next adventure :)

Focus

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:34:59 PM »

Well done you Focus, I'm impressed x

Thank you! It was definitely an ambition for me (as I'm sure it is for a lot of people) :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »

That's anything over 3,000 feet?   Doubt if you will do 2 unless you are very very fit.

'Dextrose' tablets always to hand.  We carry: in no particular order - bananas; fruit cake; lots of liquids; small packs of sandwiches so I don't have to unpack a whole stack which risks losing the lot in a gale  ;D. I can also carry those myself.  Ginger biscuits.  Stodge which 1 burns off quickly when walking ;-).  Black chocolate packed with an ice block which can be cooling too.  Crisps for salt replacement. 

Eat well the day B4.  Hydrate well.  Eat well the day after.  Layering energy levels is important. 

Date fixed yet  8)

Focus

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 01:06:25 PM »

Yup, anything over 3,000 feet. Ben Nevis is 4,413.

Yeah, I'm sure I can do two, after the weekend. Psychologically, there was never a single moment of doubt that I couldn't get to the top on Saturday. And I'd been working quite hard in the gym for about three weeks beforehand, on top of my usual, pushing my cardio a bit. I even steamed past a group of youngsters in their early 20s when we were two thirds of the way up...lol! I've got a bit of an obsessive streak and very ambitious nature. I find it very easy to do something when I set my mind to it, it doesn't matter how difficult it might seem.

The most my fiancé has done is 12 munros in a day. He was walking (almost running a lot of the time) for 18 hours to do that. I've met a lot of fit people in my life, but never someone like hime : o) He was training to be a professional athlete when he was younger but decided he wanted a family more.

Anyway, I'm having the best time discovering all of this in life. I started in earnest just before I met my fiancé. Probably because my ex husband had a number of affairs with much younger women (I actually have handbags that were older than some of them...lol!). And I felt absolutely amazing doing what I was doing - going to classes, going to the gym on my own, starting to push myself, and set targets to work towards. I'd struggled for so many years with insomnia (It was stressful being married to an alcoholic), and the exercise I was doing was also helping me with that.

I never, ever would have imagined that I could have climbed Ben Nevis in my previous life. And I never imagined that I could have walked through a waterfall to be able to do it as well.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 01:58:17 PM »

Well done! Just reading about your achievement makes me tired!! How long did it take overall?

Taz x  :hapij:

Focus

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »

Hey Taz! Thank you.

About 6 hours? Maybe 6 and a bit?

I was hoping for around 5 and a half, but the last third of the way down I was in quite a lot of pain because of my back/pelvis. It's really just a case of stretching that more and that should help. Healing from the pain of my injury has only been half of the recovery. The other part is gaining back some sort of flexibility. So I'm working on that too...

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »

It would take me that long to decide that nope, not doing that today  ;D

Don't take on too much at once!  Keep hydrated and energised.  That low blood sugar dip is awful  >:(  :'(.

'Photos?

Foxylady

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 06:01:03 PM »

I'm breaking a sweat reading about it, well done, did you manage to get nice views or was it cloudy/over cast? x

Focus

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »

Tee hee hee!

A few nice views lowers down, but it was cloudy the last third of the way up. The clouds broke twice for about 5 seconds each time, and I could see just how far up we were...that was absolutely amazing!!

Still on a hight from it all!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »

Oh well done Focus....I'd love that...must be amazing...what an achievement... :medal:

Now you need....... :cupcake:

Hot tub sounds great too, under the stars......🌌🌠

Padine

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 06:52:29 PM »

Well done Focus 😀!  Doing it in 6 hours, you'll manage 2 in one day - just pick the right Munros! Me P is a Munro-bagger and I've done 5 in the distant past (no intention of doing a 6th!) You know Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in the UK? Scheihallion is a great one, shaped like a cone it's not too steep until the last  wee bit, which is a rock    scramble! Well done you !!
  Padine x

Focus

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »

Thank you!

I was back in the gym last night and my legs just felts strong - it was fantastic.

There are a good few within easy reach of where I live, so we're planning to do another one soon. I'm going to do some research and read up about them, then chat about it with my fiancé (he's done them all and is super experienced).

I'm very very scared of heights, so I need to make sure I pick the right ones. Steep, but away from the wind and with a side to hold on to are reasonably OK. Exposed ridges with wind are the worst for me. But I'm sure as I get more experience and confidence I'll get better with this too. I like to do things very, very slowly and consciously.
Pages: [1] 2