Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2049 times)

19Maz68

« on: August 29, 2019, 04:44:45 PM »

Hi firstly thank you for adding me to the group.  I am almost 51 years old and 3 years post hysterectomy and have been going through the menopause since the day after my operation.  My weight has increased by almost 4 stone and I feel physically sick when I catch sight of myself in the mirror.  I do not take HRT simply because of the family history with breast cancer.  I have tried various herbal remedies which haven't worked and have been put onto anti depressants which helped a little for a short time but it's as if my body gets use to them and I end up back at square one.  I'm currently on a form of blood pressure medication which if I'm honest does help with the flushes but leave me with a dry mouth, so even though the flushes aren't waking me any more the need for fluids and subsequent visits to the bathroom disturb my sleep at least 3 times every night.  I genuinely can't remember when I last went to bed and didn't wake until my alarm went off the next morning all I know is that it's not been within the last 3 years.  The GP service haven't got a clue what it's like and in all fairness they don't even have time to listen.  My husband is absolutely amazing but he doesn't understand.  It feels as though I have to just deal with everything on my own and no one understands even though I know there are thousands of women going through it too.  I am physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted and I really don't know how much longer I can continue to feel so low.  I always coped with PMT and period pains but now I feel like a total failure  :'(

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 06:08:21 PM »

Hi 19Maz68...... :welcomemm:
Glad your on board our mad ship....🙂

I'm sorry to hear your struggling so badly, but maybe a trip to docs to change the ADs might be a good idea? As like you say you can't go on hrt... although I think it depends what cancer it actually was, whether  it was oestrogen based or not...as to if you can go on it or not....
Your not on your own, we're all struggling in different ways, you post away, ask anything, someone's always on to offer advice and support...we totally understand what your going through...keep fighting.

Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:03:14 PM »

However: there are ways to deliver HRT and a history of familial breast disease does not rule it out!

Ask your GP to refer you to a Menopause Clinic - not a Gynae 'cos they aren't skilled enough in general.  Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary and decide which you would like to ease first.

Quality of Life is important!  There is a 'advice for husbands' thread to print off and hand over ;-).  You are not a failure!  It's The Change, does what it says on the tin and can knock some women sideways!!

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 07:24:38 PM »

Just wanted to say welcome and hang on in there. It is really tough and I try to take one day at a time, not easy though.

Hopefully someone will be along with some good advice for you x