Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Not feeling joy/depressed/detatched  (Read 1477 times)

kayellvee

Not feeling joy/depressed/detatched
« on: August 22, 2019, 02:58:05 PM »

I've been mulling this over this afternoon, not because I'm worrying about it particularly, but more in a curious way.  I'm finding it hard to feel happy about anything right now - probably understandable, given that I'm not sleeping well and still have a lot of anxiety.  It's not constant - I was in a better mood this morning and I could feel happy/smile at certain points but it doesn't last long and feels a bit...fake maybe, like it's just surface happiness rather than deep down. As the day's gone on, I've become more tired and a bit low.  I also feel quite detached from everything and everyone - definitely don't feel like myself.  The things I usually enjoy like sketching/art/colouring/knitting have fallen by the wayside - I made a real effort at first to keep going with these because I know how important it is to have something else to focus on but even that isn't happening much now.  I'm still reading, just about, as it's a decent distraction if I have the right book but sometimes I can't cope with that either.

I'm guessing other people feel like this too - any useful strategies? Do I make myself do something, even if I don't enjoy it?  I'm getting through the days by walks - 3 today! - and housework - I'm finding practical tasks that get me up and moving seem to be easier to cope with than doing anything sedentary, probably because I have lots of nervous energy to burn off.  There's only so much housework I can feasibly do though and the days are long...

jefner

Re: Not feeling joy/depressed/detatched
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »

I feel you, but at least you feel able to do things and can get out.  I am suffering so badly on my hrt at the moment my anxiety is debilitating and affecting my agoraphobia.  I need to stuff in the day to distract my thoughts but I just don't feel well enough so here I am in front of the computer.  I feel better in the evenings so manage to get out for some brief walks but I feel this damn hrt has set me back so much the last few weeks I don't know how I get through each day and living and being alone most days does not help.  For me it feels like it's time to die, I can see no light at the end of my dark tunnel

kayellvee

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »

I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad jefner, I really am.  Although I said I was going for walks, they're really local and I've pretty much done the same walk 3 times today.  I can't go further than about 1/2 a mile from home at the minute, although I really want to, even having trouble getting to the docs so can't even go and get some medication sorted out, so I do feel you and understand where you're coming from.  As for doing housework, that's more having to than really wanting to.

Can you get out to see a doctor or if not, request a home visit or speak to the mental health crisis team maybe?  Is there a friend, family member or neighbour that can help you get out?  You need some support from somewhere.  Please hang in there :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »

Happiness never lasts.  But we can aim to be content.  I don't look any further than half a day at a time and if I get fed up with chores, I give myself a treat by doing something in our garden, or feed the birds, or sit by our ponds.  Nothing is set in stone ;-).

When I was severely depressed I couldn't stay in the bath, read, concentrate on anything  :'( :-\.  Feeling low is different but can lead to depression.  Lack of sleeping is a sign of depression.

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary to see how you are over the next 3-5 weeks?  Make sure that you have a good diet as this is important more now than ever.