Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Menopause and alcohol  (Read 5051 times)

racjen

Re: Menopause and alcohol
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »

Exactly, you get caught in this vicious cycle where it helps in the short term, but you just don't realise how much worse it's making everything in the long term. I'd been told but I just didn't believe it. Now I do, because I've experienced it for myself. Go for it x

Milamam

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »

Hi racjen,
I was reading your story and am so happy for your speedy recovery! May it continue, you have truely suffered a lot!

Please note that you have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms because you are still (I believe?) on a high dose of diazepam. Diazepam is one of the benzos used to alleviate alcohol withdrawal. I don't believe that you weren't physically addicted, with a bottle per day, but the medication you are on now is helping you not feel the effects of not drinking.

Did your support professionals discussed a taper off the diazepam? It can be very addictive in itself and I hope there is a good plan up for you!

I hope you continue to stay well, you seem such a courageous woman!!!

Milamam

racjen

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 11:23:20 PM »

Thankyou Milaman, yes that's a good point I hadn't thought of, that the diazepam would be having that effect. I've been in this position before (in fact worse because I went up to lorazepam) but I did manage to taper it off very gradually over quite a few months. My Mental Health Care co-ordinator said that was one of the things we'd discuss in our next meetings. It really is time to come off it - makes me feel like drug addict having to have it doled out once a week...x

debra217

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2019, 10:38:06 AM »

Yes Carla - far too much in my late 40s to deal with the tiredness and anxiety and low mood.  I found it made things worse in the long run. Didn't realise that drinking wine most nights and moreso at weekend was only making low mood and sleeplessness worse.

Managed to cut right down but can still overdo it now and then but the hangovers get so bad that they are a real deterrent I found.  Good Luck in cutting down. Alcohol is so addictive.
Pages: 1 2 [3]