Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Can't get comfortable  (Read 1174 times)

kayellvee

Can't get comfortable
« on: August 16, 2019, 12:23:34 PM »

Newbie here, both to the forum and to peri/meno/HRT.  My last period was at the beginning of July this year and symptoms have hit me like a ton of bricks, mainly panic attacks, anxiety, crying, insomnia, nausea, aches and pains, muscle twitches and stomach issues.  I'm prone to anxiety/panic anyway with agoraphobia and have an OCD-based eating disorder which is making this extra challenging.

Doc prescribed me FemSeven sequi, with a warning that it might be hard to find - ha!  To be honest, she didn't seem that clued up as to the availability issues, just said some patients had reported problems.  Anyway, after ringing round locally, I managed to get it from a local pharmacy, only to end up with a horrible allergic reaction to the adhesive just over a week into it (which has added to the stress).  Urgent Care doc prescribed antibiotics which I took for 1 day and they wrecked my stomach; luckily my GP said it was an allergic reaction, not an infection and told me to stop taking them.  I'd got some probiotics (Bio Kult) which I started taking 2 days ago, but I think I should have started more slowly, as I had bad diarrhoea and cramps this morning (sorry TMI!) and have felt really anxious, depressed and upset all day.  I'm going to stop taking them for now and let everything settle down - I might try a really low dose and build up slowly, because I do think they might be helpful, since I obviously had a strong reaction to them.  Not sure yet whether I'm going to do this or not, it's on hold.

HRT-wise, I've just been prescribed oestrogel and utrogestan (oral) - started the gel yesterday and have already slept better with no morning nausea - this had got better on the patches but worse after I had to stop them at the weekend, so it seems like the estrogen is at least helping on that front.  Picking up the utro today, doc said I could start straight away because I'd already done most of phase 1 of the Fem7 but I think I might leave it a day or two and see if my stomach settles down first.

My main issue right now is discomfort. I'm half-lying on the settee and everything seems to hurt, not hugely painful but low-level discomfort/achiness.  I'm drinking camomile and ginger tea, fennel tea and water and trying to take it easy, just wish I felt a bit better.  Might try a heat pad in a bit for my back/abdomen, as they're the most uncomfortable bits of me.  I tried a couple of paracetamol this am but they didn't really do anything.

Quite nervous about starting the utro as I'm barely coping as is and don't want to add any more side effects into the mix, particularly of the stomach variety  :(

Anyway, that's enough rambling for now, just wanted to get stuff off my chest - poor DH is getting the brunt of the venting, so at least this gives him a break  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can't get comfortable
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »

Better now?   Sounds within normal limits from here ;-)

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may dry: inside and out and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Over the counter pain relief would help.  Gentle exercise.  Paracetamol doesn't touch pain 4 me, I use 'nurofen'. Maybe have a chat with the Pharmacist, explain your types of pain and see what is suggested.  I believe the Paracetamol can be taken along with others but he/she will advise.

Why are you swallowing probiotics?  Maybe stick to a grilled chicken with rice diet for 3 days to settle that gut.  Eaten little and often will help, when my anorexic hit and I couldn't leave the house, that's what DH cooked for me.  When very ill I existed on hot Bovril in a mug and that was difficult to swallow to  :'(. I've been anorexic since age 5 but am much improved with medication.  Eventually I was able to add boiled rice into the Bovril to give it some substance.

Pancakes are easy to eat, the mixture can be made and stored in the fridge for a 2/3 days.  I try to eat B4 my body feels hungry or I get queasy.

kayellvee

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 05:00:46 PM »

Feel better than I did this morning, thank you  :)  Managed to watch the rest of a Psych episode that we'd started the other night and not finished.  Still feel uncomfortable but have been for a couple of walks today, so at least I'm getting a bit of exercise.  Have been eating lots of chicken and rice lately, it's one of the few things I feel comfortable with  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 05:49:54 PM »

Works for me.  Eating disorders, OCD etc. is difficult for all concerned. 

We had chicken curry, now I've got indigestion  :-\.  I need to remember to swallow some milk of magnesia prior to eating  ::)

Let us know how you get on!