Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Hair and Beauty 2  (Read 62304 times)

Padine

Re: Hair and Beauty 2
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2020, 05:30:53 PM »

Well looks like I've no choice about cutting my hair or not, if I can keep my resolve and not cut it myself  :-\

Had a little windfall for my perfume fund and decided to try Clinique products, Got a free gift too which I can use and the makeup bag is not too loud but bright and cheery for these dark days! How is everyone else doing beauty wise? 

Padine xx

jaycee

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2020, 11:42:34 PM »

Padine,i stopped taking my biotin for a while and i can also see the difference
Also just ordered, well its arrived today,some Judith Williams facial mousse and serum, i love her stuff,the Retinol ones
I have just restarted the biotin, my nails had got very strong, but breaking again now
My hair has looked awful, fluffy,and no body to it, still got the bare patches too

Padine

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2020, 03:35:13 PM »

Reply - I wrote a long reply yesterday and it doesn't seem to be here anymore - I am trying to keep this thread going but will wait to see if this makes it onto the board or not! There were no "unacceptable" bits to it (unless some family member is a moderator and is being rather bitter............................ ???

Padine xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2020, 03:39:09 PM »

We've had a blip on the internet several times, I think it's because of all the kids who have logged on to do homework?

;D or it could be a conspiracy theory - we have a thread about hair cuts too ....... my fringe will get chopped eventually or I'll nip to the sheep farm for some clippers ;-)

I've found that with all this hand washing I need more hand cream - Crabtree and Evelyn - smells lovely and so soothing.  My shampoo however leaves my hair flat  :-\

If I have a blip I use the back space to see if I can find it ....... I have been known to copy and paste too in case it goes missing ;-)

Padine

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »

Oh CLKD, you've cheered me up  :foryou:  my hands are like sandpaper and my feet have what seems like a wide piece of the heavy elastic nylon slacks my Gran used to wear!! That's on each heel AND my left elbow has rough skin which I could grate cheese on  :kick: My hair is like candyfloss (but, the upside to that is I no longer need to wash it every day)

Now sheep clippers - that's a new suggestion but I'd probably cut my ear off!! I found a brand new Babyliss curling tongs which had belonged to my Mum-in-law, so thought great! I'll try out that new addition to my collection of heated hair appliances. Well, burnt forehead, burnt ears and burnt fingers was all I achieved with that new idea (and the candyfloss hair I'm guessing too?) My son and 18month old grandson Facetimed us this morning before I was dressed and son says "Oh look, Granny has bad bed hair, doesn't she look funny?  :rofl: :rofl: :hapij:" oh yes, I've cheered up someone else's day again!
    But, I don't have covid 19 or know of anyone who has it so we have to laugh. Off to find the haircut thread ......................hope everyone is as well as they can be.

Padine xx

Padine

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »

Oooops! The hard skin on my heels is like the  "wide piece of the heavy elastic on the waistband of nylon slacks my Gran used to wear!" that's what I meant to write, sorry.
                                                                                                                     Padine x

CLKD

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2020, 05:26:56 PM »

My heels could grate ginger  ;D

Emm225

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2020, 06:34:06 AM »

Just found this thread...oh I love a hair and beauty thread!

For those with hard skin on their feet....just an thought...but those battery operated foot sander things are fantastic.  Also use Scholl cracked heel cream (contains urea..my foot man says that foot cream has to contain urea for it to be any good)  I have a couple of friends who walk a lot..and I mean a LOT as in 10 miles a day plus and they swear by Tropic Foot Polishing Pebble
https://tropicskincare.com/products/polishing-pebble 

I have no affiliate links to Tropic by the way..although I swear by their smoothing skin cleanser, toner and flannel but didn't like their eye cream...I use "Windows of the Soul" by Temple Spa....I commented on how well a friend looked about a year ago and she recommended it...it's fantastic.  Not cheap but lasts for AGES as you only need a tiny bit.

Hair wise...I am always looking for hair products.  Apparently, according the "The best thing since sliced bread" on Radio 4 caffeine hasn't been proved to help hair loss and all the shampoos which say they help it probably don't, apparently it's stimulation of the follicle (so would caffeine help with that?) and diet.  Having said that I use Pantur shampoos and am sure they have made a bit of a difference to my hair which is so much thinner and finer than it used to be....dam meno.

I am not on HRT....but never say never as I am teetering on the brink with hot sweats, anxiety and doctor has recommended it but now worried won't be able to get patches (I worry about everything these days!) Funnily enough my anxiety has been a little better since the lockdown..probably because I am in the house, in my own bubble, no life pressure, not at work physically and for my own mental health avoiding most of the news and media .  Not being irresponsible or unfeeling by the way as am making bags for NHS nurses, getting food for aged parents and neighbours...omg I hate the food shop  I just get extremely anxious and depressed when I was listening/watching/reading news every day...am depending on partner now to filter it mostly. 

As you say...with covid...our woriries and anxieties about meno and looks seem trivial, but I guess we are just taking our minds off it.

Padine

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2020, 07:45:07 PM »

Hi Emm225 and welcome to the discussion! Thanks for sharing your ideas and tips. As for HRT, go for it girl! Especially if your Dr advises it too. Like you I swithered and after an unbearable start to my retirement, decided to go for it and now I can't remember what a hot sweat was like. If only the "hair and beauty" bit was so easily sorted..................I have a problem in that I feel I want to use the same brand for everything, but I know that doesn't need to be true - any idea how to overcome that? Anxiety comes in all shapes and forms and like you Emm, I'm not too worried about Lockdown - I want us to keep safe -and I don't have to psych myself up when I meet people right now.

Back to hair and beauty - I have gone completely naked of all make up in the last 3 weeks. I heard somewhere that the eyebrow fashion for 2020/21 (and the future) is the thin eyebrows again -YAY!!  :hapij: I have 2 mascara type eyebrow gels, an eyebrow tattoo paste thing and an eyebrow pencil in my make up bag, which have not been used this month; my eyelashes are so sparse now it's hard to get mascara on them and not all over my eyelids too; I have more lipstick than a small shop but my lips seemed to have shrunk and lip pencil is useless as it makes me look like a shop dummy! The only thing I seem to get right is my pjs and perfume! (nothing happening there like it used to either  :bed: - I wish )

So, feeling gloomy which is not what anyone wants to read about on a thread entitled "Hair and Beauty" and especially as you say Emm - Covid-19 is a REAL problem and the menopause is nothing compared to all worries about that. Stay well.

Padine xx

CLKD

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2020, 08:57:52 PM »

Oh my heels - it was lovely enough yesterday to sit on the patio in warm sunshine without socks and deep cream both of them.  Then laid out with naked feet to give them fresh air. It was quite a lovely feeling.  Today they have been in socks again.  Must Try Harder.

I rarely look at my elbows even in a mirror  ::). They don't itch and feel OK.  Legs are hairy  :-\.  DH mutters that 'tis like sleeping with a spider  ;D.  It's way down on my list though, like cleaning windows ;-)

Padine

« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »

Oh CLKD  :thankyou:  I ventured over to the "Other" web page (for older ladies but young at heart) to ask about grey hair, ended up commenting once or twice and felt unwelcome (my own sensitivity in overdrive again). On MM I feel part of a big family where we don't make other posters feel like they are the left out one at school because they are different  :'(

So, can anyone help me with this one? My hair has not been dyed for about 12 months, I have no grey roots but the hair at my temples is definitely grey (as are eye brows, some eye lashes and my lady-hair)If I pull my hair back as if to put in a ponytail it is salt+pepper. I thought I'd go gradually grey but my hair has been like this for 10 years! I want to be more grey - can I do anything at home, what could I buy? I've dyed my medium dark brown hair for last 20 years or so and decided at 60 (11 months ago) not to anymore. It's now gone brassy which is awful, but I'm not going dark again. Any ideas girls?

Padine xx
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:02:07 PM by Padine »

Padine

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2020, 04:26:19 PM »

In Prima (June) there is 20% off Prai nec+dec cream, if any girls use that (and get the wonderful results the models seem to get  :great:)

Padine xx

CLKD

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2020, 04:32:56 PM »

I used to colour my hair or get my hairdresser to put hi-lights in, but now it's gone salt/pepper which I don't mind.  I had a go at my fringe last week with some scissors and yesterday took a small blade to the top layer - no one has laughed. Yet  ;)

How about using boiled tea bags - let the water cool - the longer the bags are left in the water the darker it will be: add to a small amount of shampoo, apply and leave.  Then rinse out gently? 

Some colours go brassy in the sunshine.  Maybe your local store has a wash-in/out colour or specific shampoo for 'brassy' appearances, if you can believe that those might work?  Go online and see what's out there?

Let us know  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2020, 10:23:30 AM »

Doesn't the slather seep into the socks though  :-\

Padine

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2020, 05:28:26 PM »

I try spreading foot cream (or similar) on my feet with socks about 3 and/or 4 nights before I change the sheets then the night before sheet change I slather it on as it does wet the sheets a bit and the sheets need changing.
          It's a passion-killer so no  :bed: with socks on ladies!!

Seriously, you need to slough the hard bits before the cream for best results. You know, I never had this problem when I was working, so I reckon it's always wearing trainers nowadays that goes for the feet. I used to go to work with smart flat shoes and walking boots in the winter (I worked in a country school where we had lots of bad winter weather, so getting stuck in ice+snow was quite commonplace - not for stilettos really!  ::) )

Padine xx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8