Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Hair and Beauty 2  (Read 38706 times)

jaycee

Re: Hair and Beauty 2
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2019, 06:21:03 PM »

Focus, have you had any improvement in your hair?
RE; Biotin,i have been taking high doses for 9 months,and no improvement in the hair loss, but my remaing hair and nails are growing well

Ladybt28

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2019, 06:27:11 PM »

jaycee- all I can contribute to the hair loss conversation is that the hair follicles, if they are there in the scalp, need to be stimulated into growth and then the biotin will help them grow.  As I understand it the biotin doesn't help them grow on their own, plus if the follicles are dead in the scalp for some reason then there is nothing you can do to revive them.
I used the caffeine type shampoos or gels to stimulate growth on my temples but you have to do it consistently otherwise they stop growing.  It's a right pain I know!  :(

Padine

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2019, 05:44:10 PM »

Who would be a Ladyee?   ???

Padine

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2019, 08:06:33 PM »

Can I mention nails again? I have one nail which split in the middle and has never recovered. This first happened at my brother's wedding 26 years ago. I have tried everything but this nail will not stay whole. My nails are very ridged and thin but my diet is rich in veg and good things, so the old idea of lacking in vitamins and minerals does not apply here! Gel nails strengthen all my nails but even removing the gel properly results in a damaged nail plate so I'm destined to dull, short nails.
 Just thought I'd mention this and we could share beauty myths about "too good to be true" things we know to be myths due to our age and experience ladies!

;) Padine xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2019, 08:10:57 PM »

That is probably damage to the nail bed which emerges from the cuticle.  So it is unlikely to heal.  A small bang can cause damage.

Ladybt28

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2019, 01:17:14 PM »

Hi Padine- have you tried something like OPI Nail Envy or Perfect formula gel coat (look on the web)  I was a nail biter for 40 years and used the stick on nails for 25 of them,  but now I have ok nails even though I have had terrible infections and the nail beds are a bit damaged. (Mind you I just have one thumb I nibble, cant seem to stop altogether). I have had gel nails for a few special occasions but I find they damage my nails and have stopped being tempted by them now because it takes 4 months for the to recover once they come off.  I use both the above.  My nails tend to flake rather than split and these seem to seal them and stop it happening as long as I continue using them every week.

The gel nails look so good and I know it is so tempting to keep covering them up when they come off because your own look so dull as you say but if you can break the cycle, it would be better. x

jaycee

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2019, 11:57:06 PM »

Ladybt28.i apparently have some fine hair there and also use caffeine shampoo, and massage my scalp, but nothing is happening
My dermatologist has asked me to go and see him again on friday,he did mention a scalp biopsy the last time i saw him, so might be connected
I have used Biotin for over  a year now, and my remaining hair is growing so fast ,it's like it is compensating for what i don't have

Padine

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2019, 06:36:39 PM »

Ladybt, I have tried nail envy, Sarah Hansen, Boots cheap+pricey nail rescue stuff and nothing works. I will look at the Power Gel you suggest. I bought (2m of it  ;D !) of a nail fixer elastoplast/sellotape stuff, called Silk, which you cover the split with and it is supposed to heal the tear. I can't get the right size of bit cut to stick it on (lost the bit I tried when making egg sandwiches for a Rural tea and worried myself sick that it would turn up in the president's sandwich! When taking my boots off (once home from this outing), I found the sticky bit stuck to my sock  ::) what we ladyees do to try to look good  ;D
             Padine xx

Ladybt28

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2019, 06:40:39 PM »

:rofl: :rofl:
yes I know how Silk works!  Flaming fiddly!  Aren't you supposed to coat the stuff with a hardner after you stick it on?   Perfect formula is only on our well known shopping channel and by the way Hairfix hair stimulator is on offer at the the moment. x

Padine

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »

I managed to cut a bit of Silk the right size for my nail and using very sharp (craft) scissors is the answer with this fiddly stuff. I put 2 coats of the Rimmel nail nurse on it and so far it's looking OK. :)

I know what you mean about the gel nails being so tempting but the damage caused by using/removing them is'nt worth it imho. If I can remember to put on rubber gloves when using detergents, cleaners etc that should help and hand cream whenever I remember too! My mother always had rough,red hands - that memory is enough to make sure I've always got hand cream within easy reach!

Our favourite TV chanel has had more than usual beauty TSVs recently, or is it just my imagination? The hair products look wonderful but if I used the volumising ones, my hair would be twice as wide as my head! Superdrug products produce wonderful shine on my hair, their wash-in colour shampoo works really well for me and there's no residue colour rubbed onto my white towel afterwards. Plus the small price makes it win-win.
                                        :clapping: :clapping:
                                                         Padine xx

jaycee

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2019, 01:44:47 PM »

Padine,when my nails split i use superglue,it lasts ages until the rest of the nail grows,
Also biotin is good for nails, bought some for my hair ,but the nails have improved 100%

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2019, 02:11:51 PM »

Hi Padine

A bit late I know, I don't normally come into this thread.
Anyway, the perfume question:
Calvin Klein, Beauty. It's Parfume, not toilette. And it lasts all day on me.
I use it probably everyday. And it's lovely.
Think you can buy a bottle for about £25 , if you have a Savers anywhere near you anyway.
It's great for everyday, and I keep my more expensive perfumes for ‘best', like when I go out. Oh and it's floral...x

Padine

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2019, 04:15:13 PM »

Jaycee, I've tried superglue but I'm too clumsy and stuck my fingers together  :angryfire: I have used an artificial nail stuck down with SG which worked (along with sticking the SG packet to the kitchen worktop  :'(
Jillydoll, I will look out for the perfume you mention, not heard of that CK one befoe , thanks for the idea.
   Padine xx

Padine

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2020, 01:47:07 PM »

Happy New Year Girls!  :vibe:

Well, the Biotin I've been taking for about 3 months now seems to be working and my hair is glossy again and my nails seem to have recovered! My new year's resolution is to have no more salon gel-polishes, as they seem to damage my nails no matter how they are removed. The Silk repair papery stuff worked eventually (I cut a bit exactly the same size as my nail using very sharp craft scissors and put a coat of Rimmel's Nail Nurse over it immediately and it stuck like Superglue - job done!)

My new question is does anyone use Avon? I read last week that the Body Shop have bought them over now and they are increasing their (Avon's) environmentally friendly. I want to try some trial sizes skin care products and the Avon Platinum range looks very attractive and just what I need (at a price I can afford too)

One other thing which started 10 days ago is if I rub my cheek or forehead or chin, the moisturiser "bobbles" and rubs onto my clothes like dandruff. I've tried putting on less cream but don't want to stop putting on a serum before I moisturise - all I can think of is I'm applying too much of both, but I've cut down on both.

Thanks Padine xx

Padine

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »

Hi Girls,
         Well, I've not been taking the biotin regularly for the last 6-8 weeks and my hair and nails definitely are proving it! My hair is frizzy at one side, looks dire I feel like an old lady. My nails are not too bad if I keep them shortish, but tried to grow them a bit last week and they split at the end, the split one wouldn't grow complete. I now have hearing aids and although my dear husband and friends say that they can't see them at all (I do believe them) I'm going to try to grow my hair (again!) to chin length - any tips on how to grow hair faster? (apart from not having it cut!)
                     Padine x
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8