Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Hair and Beauty 2  (Read 38686 times)

Padine

Hair and Beauty 2
« on: August 08, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »

Hi, I noticed an old thread of same name and Mods suggested a new thread so here it is!

My skin is driving me nuts!! Anybody else not sure what kind of skin they have? Exfoliate seems to be the buzz word right now and I bought a glyconic peel overnight cream thing (Superdrug so dead cheap and only 30ml - nothing lost if it didn't work) Tried it couple of nights ago and wow! My face didn't tingle or peel or crack but it is soooooo baby-bottom smooth! Today it's so humid and my Simple cream spread like water on my face and I look like a shiny blob!  :sweatdrop:  Judith Williams was on QVC this morning and I like her but after buying the Simple range (cleanser, toner, day, night and eye cream, soap and shower gel, shampoo and conditioner - a steal at roughly £50) to tide me over and clear up some dry patches (it's worked after 2 weeks) I'm hesitating about trying something different.

Padine

Re: Hair and Beauty 2
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 07:52:05 PM »

Ps
Sorry 😐 had to abandon post when door bell rang and I jumped out of my skin!
Basically I'd like to start a thread about skin care, what works for you, is luxury worth it or cheaper ok? Simple has worked to help my confused skin recover, but it's a bit boring and rather watery.
What do you use?
      Padine xx

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:04:29 PM »

I love Judith Williams skin care,i have ordered it everytime it is on QVC

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:10:30 PM »

I use L'Oréal cleanser and toner, and it's either L'Oréal's moisturiser, or Nivea. But I have to be careful as I sometimes break out with very dry patches on my nose...and believe it or not, but a very cheap moisturiser usually sorts it out, it's from Wilko, and it's £1.....so I've always got a couple tubes ready in the draw...
I don't like the Simple range, they didn't work for me, dryed my skin out terribly.
Oh and I use, Clearasil gentle wash on my face, for sensitive skin....I really like that...

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 07:17:39 AM »

I have recently had to change what I use due to a skin condition diagnosis.

I have Actinic keratosis (solar keratosis), which is as a result of sun damage. It has to be treated as it can sometimes turn cancerous so I am waiting for a follow up appointment. Treatment will probably include scraping or freezing away the affected skin or a caustic cream.

I have had a couple of patches on my nose for about three years which looked like aged spots but sometimes became dry and rough.  This summer other people started to notice and I was talked into going to the doctor by my husband and son.

I now use a factor 50 face cream on my face and neck plus E45  rich and creamy 24hr on my nose. My GP suspects there are one or two other patches emerging on my cheeks.

So do be careful.  Get anything new or persistant checked out.  Also make sure your face cream has sun protection of at least factor 20.

PS. This condition is not always brown,  like age spots. They can be pink or skin coloured as well.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:36:02 AM by Shadyglade »

Padine

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 05:51:46 PM »

Jaycee, I think I will order some JW as I'm not sure how reliable the reviews are on QVC (could be all the presenters  :great: I didn't used to be cynical but the meno has changed me in many ways!!) That's interesting that Simple dried your skin jillydoll, I have developed little pimpley skin on my forehead in the last 2 days -Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! oh the trials of trying to look better!

Shady, thanks for the warning. I always have used SPF for as  long as I can remember and it amazes me how some brands (not always the cheaper ones either) do not have that. One plus with oily skin is few wrinkles! My hair is now drier so I get away with washing 3 times a week instead of everyday/2nd day.
                                              Padine x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 06:56:07 PM »

Reminds me of having face packs in my teens, MinL and I shared one ........ it wouldn't set as we laughed so much  ;D.  It made my skin lovely though recent thoughts from demonologists is that as the skin sheds naturally, we should leave well alone.  Face peeling may well take off too much protection.

A good wash with flannel each morning should be enough.  I put soap on my hands, dip my flannel into soapy water and wipe face and neck.  Job Done.  I noted yesterday that the sides of my face are dry so I need to encourage myself to put on a moisturiser which will probably be sun protection lotion ........ I had a magnifying mirror for a Very Good Look for long hairs  :o and notes the dryness.

I love soaking my feet in hot soapy water.  Followed by a talc which I find soothing.  I have 'clearasil' face wash too .......... twice a week.  We use 'Nivea' too on legs and arms I also like 'vaseline' hand cream in the yellow bottle.

I vary my hair products - I love buying new shampoo  :D

Foxylady

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »

I had lots of skin issues since started peri, finally since around Feb I've been using Dermol 500 prescribed as a wash in the shower, twice daily. Now using Simple deoderant as Mitchum I had used for years as have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) was causing me to have big, red irritating rings under my armpits. Just use water and occasionally Olay on my face.
I've been using Bumble & Bumble shampoo & conditioner (thickening) on my hair, have tried others to improve condition of my hair between peri & hypothyroid it hasn't been a pretty site.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 07:12:40 PM »

As an aside - I read about a man who had injections to stop the sweat glands working under the arms  :o

Foxylady

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 07:17:54 PM »

Yeh you can get botox for it! My under arms were never that bad, hands & feet much worse - ended up buying an expensive machine called iontophresis which I use.

Sparrow

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »

That's good news MKG.  Apparently mine has no thickness so am hoping for the cream treatment.  Scraping or freezing doesn't appeal.

jaycee

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 10:17:19 PM »

Padine,i looked on QVC and i have ordered some Judith Williams Retin day and night cream, the last twice i got thosr with some foam cleancser,in a 3 pack, they didn't have that this  time. but really made my skin look clear, and fresh,
I bought some Elizabeth Grant a while ago, and i didn't like it,i still have some left
Thanks for mentioning it
At the moment i am using just Aldi day and night cream which i like but i prefer Judith Williams, to anything else,and a boots exfoliating cream plus a collagen serum, not in that order
Ihave a nu face microcurrent device which i use about 3 times a week for jowls, not sure if it's doing any good though
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:22:34 PM by jaycee »

Padine

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 10:36:24 PM »

I am sitting in bed (it's 11.25pm) wanting to hide away as the “little” pimples have now spread all over my forehead, round my hair line and under my chin. I think it must be that cheap peel stuff cream I used again last night. Simple isn't cutting it anymore so I'm surfing the beauty web ! QVC's TSV is a decleor lavender set so maybe will get that. I didn't mention this but I bought 2 Simple shampoo and 2 Simple conditioners weeks ago and the shampoo is the worst I've ever used. So the 2 unused ones will go to our next Tombola stall! I'm tempted back to no.7 range, my son's girlfriend (a beautician) recommended that along with Olay.
Bought some wonderful conditioning shampoo for brunettes on Amazon-expensive at £12 but worth every penny 😊.
Thanks for making ‘this such an interesting thread!
    Padine xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 11:29:18 AM »

Don't put anything except warm water and a flannel on your skin for 3 weeks.  Use a light sun-protection if out and about.  Allow your skin to heal.  It does it's own thing and rarely requires much at all.

Simple etc. products can be OK ......... when I buy anything that I don't like it goes to the homeless shelter ;-).   It can get expensive finding something that suits our skin as it changes.

Less Oestrogen levels can cause drying inside and out: so going back to basics might be helpful to allow the skin breathing space.

I have two places on each cheek that seems to get a large spot occasionally, they require squeezing ....... and leave a blotch. 

Do you need a brown paper bag this morning or have you surfaced ?  ;)

Sparrow

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 11:43:18 AM »

I haven't used soap on my face for 20 years.  E45 is a good choice but they don't do one with UV protection unfortunately.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8