Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: fell off my bike  (Read 10937 times)

Padine

fell off my bike
« on: May 13, 2020, 03:11:13 PM »

I was in a very bad car accident when I was a teenager, and the resulting chronic back pain/spinal injury really starting effecting me 11  years ago. I cannot walk uphill at all without excruciating pain (we live in a very hilly part of Scotland) I've been trying to use my bike more to exercise and today I fell off. I was nervous about the traffic and wobbled on a stone, hit the kerb and fell onto my left side. My elbow is sore to touch, swollen and will be bruised and my knee is skinned but I'll heal. The top of my ribcage is now sore to touch, getting sorer and it hurts to take a deep breath. I think I've bruised a rib - how long till it's not sore? All ideas gratefully listened to, thanks

Padine xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: fell off my bike
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 03:39:17 PM »

OUCH! you may find that bruises appear for at least a week in places you didn't realise can bruise  ::)

Get into a warm bath, dry gently, use cream on the sore bits and take some pain relief.  I still remember 11 years ago falling flat onto my face .......

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »

R U Stiff all over today  :-\ ......... ? bruises ?

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 04:28:45 PM »

And the older we get the longer we take to heal  >:(. Hope you're feeling better today though sometimes it's worse the following day.

Padine11

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »

Thanks for asking ladies! I'm feeling a bit stiff and sore on my left side, but my grazed knee and bruised elbow along with tender rib cage are the worst bits  :'( :'(

Padine xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 09:20:34 PM »

Pain relief and 'savlon' -;)

Padine11

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 01:52:02 PM »

That's me sitting down for the rest of today after our daily exercise (3 miles) My back is really sore now and DH is of the old school, believing that I must get daily exercise, and even if it hurts-it's benefiting me. I'm not going out tomorrow as I know my back needs to rest after it's been in this pain. My top ribs hurt to breathe too, but that was my tumble on my bike.
I know others are far worse off than me but I'm thinking I?ll see GP if my back continues not to improve. What I need is a spine transplant! Maybe a referral to consultant I saw 3 years ago? GP said next pain relief is morphine and while that horrified me 12 months ago, anything is better than how I felt this morning. Sorry if I sound full of self-pity, a wee nap may help 😴 💤
       Padine xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 02:55:32 PM »

We don't bounce at our age and a GP will tell you to rest and take pain relief.  Most of your muscles will be involved so let Nature do it's work.  Time to sit in a shady spot with a cuppa ?

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 03:03:27 PM »

Is there any exercise you can do without your back hurting? Just wondered if swimming might be better. The medical profession doesn't seem to too good on backs, my mum had it for years and they couldn't do anything about it. In general having good muscle tone helps but if it's very sore it might be doing more harm than good atm.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »

We evolved upright.  Not a good stance to take!

Padine

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 02:18:29 PM »

Feeling a bit better today and more of a half-full instead of half-empty. I have been going to a sitting down ex. class for the last 2 years (it's a lot harder than it sounds  :gym::hapij:) and that builds my core muscles up very well. It's a good social hour of fun and hilarity too which I'm missing - at one point my back pain was nil, but it obviously does not take long to undo all that good work. Hope everyone else is feeling fine and dandy  :tulips2:

Padine xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 04:41:09 PM »

I thought of you as I dropped off to sleep  ::)