Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lyme disease  (Read 6269 times)

bear

Re: Lyme disease
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 05:26:29 PM »

Hiya ladies. I thought I'd share my experience of this as I dont think there is enough information out there in the IK.

About 10 years ago I was at a garden party which backed onto a forest. I looked down and saw blood running down my arm. I saw something black there and brushed it off. As the week went on I developed what I now know is target rash. Over the next few days  I devoped these large "targets all over both arms and  when my arms then started to swell I went to A & E..
As soon as i walked in the doc said "you have  been bitten by a tick"  the rash is a definite sign you've been infected with lyme disease. I then  made the connection about the little black thing that bit ne, i hadn't even realised it was a tick.

I was given 10 days of antibiotics.
The NHS guidelines are now for 3 weeks antibiotics. And in the USA and Holland they give an even longer course. As the shorter course has proved ineffective in some cases.

I still dont realy know if I'm clear of it as I only had a 10 day course. I wasnt aware until recently that this is not enough.  I have asked my GP about it due to my recent ill  health but she said there is no test for it.
I've just realised upon reading the updated NHS info before i link it here today that this is not true.  I will be asking for a test.

So i just wanted to put this out there. The link gives information on what to do if you are bitten and not all ticks carry the disease but if you are unlucky enough then please make sure you get at least 3 weeks of antibiotics. I wouldnt have known anything was wrong  if I didnt have the rash as I didnt feel unwell, but not everyone gets the rash so I would say if you are bitten to err on the side of caution.

I may find out that this disease might still be in my system, might even be responsible for some of my health woes and now I've realised there is a test I will find out 

Also although mine was probably a deer tick   I didnt go anywhere near the forest but the party I was at the host had 2 dogs who walk in the forest and it is more than likely that the tick "travelled" on the dogs.

Enjoy the summer, there are precautions you can take and ticks are more prevalent in some areas than others  But I think it's important that if you are bitten you seek medical advice, so I hope my experience is useful.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lyme-disease/

Hello Tc,

Excellent thread. Sorry you had to deal with Lyme's. I have been bitten by ticks and fleas a hundred (if not thousand) times, but never had the bull's eye (target) rash. I've been suffering from extreme morning fatigue and other symptoms, including peripheral neuropathy,for years and I always wondered if this could be chronic Lyme, but GP's won't ask for the antibody test, because they don't accept this term, but it could be late-stage Lyme, which is accepted. Except for the rash, the symptoms are very similar to menopause. I haven't noticed any improvement while on HRT, but I was still perimenopausal, so everything was chaotic. I really would like to be tested, but I'm not sure it would be helpful to take antibiotics at this stage. Thank you for raising this subject.

BeaR.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »

bear - do contact the Charity for advice.

Tc

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2019, 06:48:00 PM »

Wow. Lots of realy great advice a d info ladies. Xxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »

There was an article in the Sat Telegraph regarding Bunny Guiness who has been a gardener for many years. Of course I've binned the article but her symptoms go back years++ without a proper diagnosis!

Tc

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2019, 01:55:28 PM »

Thanks CLKD x

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »

It can probably be found on line ?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »

My son recently had a bite near his arm out that came up in a bullseye like reaction. He had been walking in fields in Shropshire. He didn't show me straight away but comained of severe muscle aches. I thought it was an allergic reaction to a horse fly bite. I didn't know anything about Lymes disease but a friend posted an alert on Facebook so I made him go to Dr who put him on antibiotics for two weeks and sent him for a blood test, which came back negative. He was told in the early stages the blood tests are not very reliable as they get false positive and false negative s. He was advised if he gets further symptoms to go back. Apparently the more established it is in your system the easier it is to detect in blood tests. Hope your blood test is negative TC.
Pages: 1 2 [3]