Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Philomena  (Read 5137 times)

jaycee

Philomena
« on: July 20, 2019, 10:00:53 PM »

Anyone watching this film, i have seen it about 3 times,it is very sad but true, also read the book, and the book written from her sons side too

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Philomena
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 08:24:58 AM »

Yes I've seen it.....
Can't remember much, brain fog.... ;D.......was it Steve coogan?

Foxylady

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:44:38 AM »

Watched it a few years back with OH (he rarely watches a film). It is a great film, very sad/emotional but worth watching.

jaycee

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 09:05:41 AM »

Jillydoll yes Steve Coogan and Judy Dench,i have it on DVD that my daughter bought me ages ago, but it is a very sad film, and sadly all these horrible things happened in Ireland in those times
In fact my sister had a baby in i think 1964 and was sent into a mother and baby home,in Lancashire and she was treated horribly , even then,so happened here too, but not to the extent it did in Ireland in that particular home and with those cruel nuns
Such a shame that Philomenas son died before she managed to trace him

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »

Was your sister older jaycee ?  It was a stigma then however; in Clive's family a girl was caught by the young man 'of the house' and the son was raised as her brother by her parents.  That was in 17?? can't remember the exact date.  Had he been given up we would not have our surname  ::).

How could parents give away their grandchildren  :'( and Philomena - I read the book - didn't see her son  :-\

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 11:26:54 AM »

I've read the book and seen the film twice. very sad and those old nuns were wicked for not giving her details of her son which they knew.  They could have been reunited years before if they hadn't been so spiteful.

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »

My sister is younger than me CLKD , but my parents were obviously ashamed that my sister was prgnant and not married, the baby was adopted
Yes it was still a stigma even in the 60s,you didn't see young girls walking about with babies in prams like today, but i think it has gone too far the other way now
You often see young girls/women with more than one child and different fathers who are not on the scene
Meant to say it didn't show the son, only videos and photo's of him, he became someone important in the White house, and died of aids
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 11:40:40 AM by jaycee »

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 12:01:51 PM »

I agree it's gone too far so children have less chance of making bonds ........ but they see it as 'normal', it'll be in the next 25 years when the effects of these split families will come to show.  Good or bad.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »

I also agree. There are young Mums around here who have had kids by two and three different fathers. Think of the anguish and despair people go through as adults trying to find their birth parents - it's going to be even worse for kids in the future.  Some young girls don't even know who the father of some children is.

Don't even start me on same sex parents because IMHO they are just selfish and do not think about what the kids need to know about their conception.  My son went to school with a lad whose mother was a lesbian and she would never tell him about where he came from.  it was OK when he was small but he was very disturbed in his teenage years and turned to drugs and got into a lot of trouble.

Last week I was reading about a female who changed sex but kept her womb and now calls herself a man but has given birth to a son.  Poor kid is all I can say!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »

I read that too PF ...........  how exactly did she 'change' sex  :-\

I think a whole female household is OK - think of WWII when men went to War.  I think now that women are more open about conception when in an all female household - any 'adoption' or different way of conception has to be explained sooner rather than later.  I think that parents are selfish if they don't see the necessity of explaining family background early enough - I'm still learning about mine  ::).

I'm reading about David ? working through his transition, he writes weekly in the Telegraph Sat supplement though was missing yesterday - probably due to it being a 'special' edition  >:(

I never wanted babies.  But I cry when I watch how cruel parents are when their children 'slip' up ....... worrying more about what the neighbours might think  :bang:

jaycee

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »

I think a lot of these children are going to grow up to be very disturbed adults.
I also don't like the idea of same sex parents it must be very confusing for children, and make them feel different to others
I am also sick of all this transgender stuff going on.it's all over all the time
I know of a family where the children or 2 of them anyway  [girls]are demanding to be treated like boys, then change their mind,it seems to be trend, although i know obviously that there are genuine cases, but i think children should not be offered hormones until they are at least old enough to know what they actually do want

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 04:17:50 PM »

Love that film,one of my favourites,Judy dench can do no wrong in my eyes.
The film made me cry though,especially the bit when she was watching a video of her son with his partner 😢😭

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »

Hello ladies.

I remember the film and feeling so sorry for Philomena.

Nadia Sawalha from Loose Women is married to a man whose mother is a lesbian. He had problems when he was a child and was bullied about his mother's sexuality. Hopefully we now live in more enlightened times and can respect each other's differences.  Her husband is 48 nowand has a great relationship with his mother and she is a loving and much loved grandmother whose sexuality is simply not an issue. A happy ending after all!

Take care everyone.

K.

jaycee

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 04:34:14 PM »

The bullying aspect of having same sex parents is what worries me Kathleen, and i am sure these days children are more used to this than previous generations,

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 04:53:45 PM »

Anyone watching this film, i have seen it about 3 times,it is very sad but true, also read the book, and the book written from her sons side too
I recorded it on TiVo a little while ago but haven't watched it. I also have the book but in Italian translation! Must get started on it. Had forgotten that I had it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4