Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Weird feelings in legs  (Read 3515 times)

millergirl

Weird feelings in legs
« on: July 20, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »

Not posted for a while but am starting to worry.  I have these weird spasms in my legs, left one in particular. It feels like little bursts of numbness that only last seconds. It can be on and off most of the day and then on other days nothing. I have arthritis in my neck so wondering if it could be connected to that, has anybody else had this? Keep thinking will make an appointment for the doctor but then when I say it out loud sounds ridiculous! Would appreciate any advice.  :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Weird feelings in legs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains. 

Could be nerves being irritated.  I have restless leg syndrome which is cured by eating lots of bananas. 

HORMONES  >:(  ::)

millergirl

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 06:34:10 PM »

Thanks CLKD such a lot of things changing to body and mind since menopause hit and getting older, it seems there is a new thing to panic about every day.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 06:38:12 PM »

Adrenaline surges 4 me feels like hot water rushing through my veins  ::)

Cramp happens sometimes ........ lack of salt.

Jillm

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »

Hello Millergirl,

Yes I have something similar, but mine is like a buzzing feeling, especially in left calf.
It is in both legs, but worst in left.
I sometimes don't notice it when I am distracted, it also sometimes feels like the skin on my lower legs is tight/burning feeling.
It is driving me mad, GP very dismissive and gave me anti depressants to dial down nerve signals. As you can imagine I was not too happy as I just want to know what is causing it, health anxiety to stupid levels, thinking all sorts of horrible things.
Mine is worse when I am lying down, makes me think something to do with lower back. GP did suggest spinal stenosis, but didn't offer any other tests to determine, so I am still in the dark.
If I come up with any answers I pass on more info.
Hope you are feeling better👍

millergirl

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »

I don't notice it when distracted, I thought also something to do with back. As I said I have arthritis in my neck and suffer sometimes with pain in my lower back so wondering if this is the cause. Thank you for your reply it means so much to be able to talk to women who have had similar issues as like you say Doctors are so dismissive of what you are trying to tell them. If it persists over the next couple of weeks will “try”to get an appointment at Doctors. Will keep you posted.  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »

Why not make the appt. then cancel 24 hours if you no longer require it?

Do the sensations keep you awake?  Could it be adrenaline?

DH has flappy calves after exercise  ::) calls them his 'lizards'  :D

Jillm

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 06:31:53 PM »

Hello Millergirl,

Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing with your pesky legs.
Did you manage to get a doctors appointment?
I know what you mean, it is very hard to put into words just what the sensation feels like. I don't blame the GP's for not quite getting the point as I am sure I don't put over exactly what I mean.
Today and for the last couple of days I have a mild fizzing feeling in both legs and left leg inner calve has a slight popping and tight feeling.
Does this ring any bells with you?
I hope you are feeling much better and that your horrible sensation has lifted❤️

millergirl

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 07:59:03 PM »

HinJillm I didn't go to the dr as the feeling went on it's own, every now and then I get the fizzy feeling in my legs as well. I am putting things down to getting older and the menopause. I do find that I get health anxiety quite a lot and something unusual happens and I am off thinking the worst. The legs started the anxiety and then the feeling disappeared and I felt stupid for thinking it was something more, I am ok for a couple of weeks and then something else pops up and off I go again. At the moment I have noticed a blemish on my cheek which I know I have had for along time, it hasn't changed, it doesn't itch or anything but I saw it in the mirror one morning and now I am fixated on that and think it is something more. My daughter thinks I am nuts and every time I ask her to “check” something she rolls her eyes! Oh well will wait and see if the blemish changes and if so will then go to the go!  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »

Health anxiety seems to be a problem during The Change.

Your daughter's time will come  ;)

Foxylady

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 08:55:39 AM »

I went between cramps in (L) calf predominantly to feeling that a spider was running up & down my leg, again the (L) one, very strange but seems to have resolved, did have the spider feeling the other day but not had it for months and it was away the next day. Doesn't help that I have a spider phobia!!

Jillm

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 10:34:49 AM »

Hi Millergirl,
So pleased to hear your pesky legs have resolved,

Mine have been rumbling on since Nov last year. I am scared to say, but it has improved recently, to the point I've suddenly realised I've not noticed it for a while. Then as you can guess It's back,
This gives me hope that one day it will go all together.
Either that it proves it's all in my memo stressed brain😱

marge

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 05:51:51 PM »

When l had strange sensations in my legs during peri, GP told me it was anxiety coupled with the menopause causing it. I'd been convinced it was some ghastly neurological disease, but l walked out of the surgery and didn't give it another thought. The mind is very powerful.

linz57

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 05:58:21 AM »

Hi, it could also be fluctuating hormone levels giving you mild symptoms of restless leg syndrome. Mine started when my estrogen levels dropped and now I'm on hrt I hardly ever get the weird feelings in my legs. Low levels of estrogen can deplete the levels of dopamine in the brain and low dopamine is one of the causes  causes restless legs.
Have you had your iron levels checked? Low magnesium can also cause similar symptoms.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:14:25 AM by linz57 »

holidaylover

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 07:49:34 AM »

Hi,  Just to add my tuppence worth, I Know exactly how you're feeling.  I bothered the Doctor for ages with tingly, crawling sensations in my legs, (that spider feeling), convinced I had some neuro disease.  Was also offered anti depressants, which I never took, and was sent for CBT counselling, which didn't work for me.  It eventually went away (about a year now) but felt it slightly again last week and last night and today it has flared up again for some reason. (Tingly, slightly itchy and tight crampy calves)  I'm convinced it is hormone related, although I too have a bit of a sore lower back. I also think it could be partly due to fluid retention, but that's just my theory.  I'm exactly one year this month without a period and praying there is not one about to start!!  Anyway, if it's really bothersome and affecting your health anxiety, the Doctor may help put your mind at rest (although mines looked at me like I was mad when I suggested it may be a menopause symptom.) There are too many of us getting this I think, for it not to be, and if it had been anything serious I would be long gone!!!