Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Flashing lights in eyes  (Read 15218 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Flashing lights in eyes
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2019, 10:39:18 AM »

We are a Mine of Info.  :thankyou:

I have noticed floaters in the left eye at night.  When reading in the bath I keep brushing away a 'full stop' then notice that it's weaving it's way across my vision  ::).  Can't see it this morning ..........

jaypo

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2019, 10:45:39 AM »

Wow,thank you wrensong,what an informative post,I will look out for the eye mask next time in Boots for sure. I'm going to ask the optician tomorrow the best eye drops as every time I go to pharmacy they give me refreshing eye drops,no good at all.
I'm not on any hrt so can't comment but floaters I've had for years,optician said they can remove them if they become an annoyance and this new one is right in my line of vision but not sure I want any kind of treatment that involves someone going near my eyes 👀

Wrensong

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2019, 10:45:55 AM »

I sympathise CLKD - my first floater came into the shower with me  :o where it showed up against the white tiles.   Kept trying to bat it away, thinking it was a tiny spider  ;D.

jaypo

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2019, 10:50:10 AM »

Haha that was like me yesterday,thought there was a huge bug on the window, I jumped about 50 feet in the air 😆

Wrensong

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »

No prob Jaypo  :) - eyesight is so precious it naturally tends to freak us out when we get changes.  Agree about having floaters removed being a daunting prospect.  From what I've read though, some people get really big, dark ones that interfere with reading etc, so I can imagine they would want those removed.  Hope yours is not that bad.  I just have lots of little ones, but the longer streaks can get on your nerves!  Actually felt I was mourning clear vision when I realised they'd set in for good - probably sounds melodramatic, but I'd rather taken good eyesight/clear vision for granted, as I'd also been very lucky not to need specs before mid-40s, & then only mild ones for reading.  Still get away without distance specs at 57 - so very lucky really.  Good luck for tomorrow, but I'm sure it'll be fine.  Don't be freaked out if they refer you to Ophthalmology - they did when my floaters & flashes first started.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 10:58:47 AM »

My first 1 followed surgery after GA in 1981.  Like a tiny full stop going across the page, which I kept batting at  ::)

The current one is like a cotton thread.  It'll go ..... or I'll stop seeing it  :D

Wrensong

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 11:04:56 AM »

Sorry Jaypo - forgot - make sure any eye drops you use frequently are preservative-free.  I had to see a Cons Ophthalmologist to get those.  An optician told me the Viscotears I'd been prescribed for 20 years should NOT be used every day as the preservative can damage the eye over time.  GP wouldn't prescribe the Hylo Forte the optician said I needed instead, but luckily Optician had also referred me to the hospital.  Cons wrote to GP telling him I had to have the Hylo Forte!  After a few years those became less effective & the inflammation associated with DES got worse, so now I find Clinitas best.

jaypo

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2019, 12:01:29 PM »

Thank you,I've written the names down so I don't forget tomorrow 🙄😆

Ladybt28

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2019, 12:36:39 PM »

Hi Wrensong - my dry eyes definitely improved on hrt but only the right hrt for me.  The weird left eye headaches also much better.  I had terrible time when I was on the pill years ago with the headaches so definitely hormone related although I didn't know that then!  It was the oestrogen that helped with the dry eyes not Testosterone. I also had a dry mouth and a funny taste in it before but that's gone too.  I was given a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and I had rheumatic fever as a child and my mother had rheumatoid arthritis, the kind that strikes you down before I was born but most consultants were stabbing in the dark for an answer to my joint and other problems...turns out most were hormone related and had been since I was a teenager. There was a difference of 7 months between getting the oestrogen and progesterone sorted and then starting T.  The dry eyes were sorted before starting T.

The headaches... difficult to tell...as I wrote in my post, I don't get "floaters" blobs, orbs etc, mine look like someone has smashed panes of glass into triangles all over my eye, flashing... usually the left one which is where the weakness or propensity for this has always been.  The headaches are not attached the flashing lights.   The lights come out of nowhere and are fairly rare but the common "migraine" in the left side of my face has definitely diminished significantly over the last year where its was pretty much resident before.

jaypo

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2019, 03:19:32 PM »

Hi ladies,well optician did a complete check,dilated the pupil so he could see right to the back of my eye and it was that pvd?are those the initials 🙄 the floaters are down to a small haemorrhage when the gel detached from the retina but although a small tear the retina isn't detached,so huge relief,to go back on Friday and he's just going to double check
Thank you all for your help,blimey,we're a great bunch aren't we?hugs all round 😊❤️

Eviepf

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2019, 03:27:38 PM »

Hi Jaypo

I'm glad to hear your appointment went well and that there's nothing to worry about. Good news! x

jaypo

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2019, 03:53:09 PM »

Thank you evie 😊💕

Wrensong

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2019, 07:12:50 PM »

Oh Jaypo - that is good news  :).  Thanks for letting us know.  Hope all goes well on Friday too.

Ladybt, thank you for the info about your response to HRT & DES.  Interesting that it was oestrogen that helped.  That's what I was expecting before the optician told me HRT was bad for DES!

Can I ask what form of progesterone you were on when the HRT helped your dry eyes?  As my salivary production increased noticeably on Evorel Conti & I later learned T is thought to help dry eyes, I assumed the increase in saliva was because the Norethisterone in EC is one of the more androgenic forms of prog.

jaypo

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »

Thanks wrensong and thanks for your help xx

Ladybt28

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »

Hi Wrensong..I'm on the "boring forum regime" oestrogel and utrogestan! But only thing that worked for me.  Had everol conti, and Elleste duet and elleste solo, prempackC (discontinued), premique (discontinued), Premarin and provera (provera nearly had me certified), oh and femeston - over a period of 10 years.  the prempack was the bulk of the time but I still had loads of symptoms the only thing it fixed was flushes but I was a novice then.  The rest has been over period of 3.5 years to get it right!

I started on 2 pumps of gel and had to up it to 4 over the first 2 months.  Stayed like that for 7 months I reckon and then I was getting permanently sore boobs so dropped to 3.  Been like that ever since.  Was told to take utrogestan continuously but after the Provera fiasco just decided to take Utro on a cycle and have a bleed and I take it vaginally.  I have never tried it orally, from what I read here it had more side effects that way so I just thought "why risk it". 

So all in all it has taken a whole year to get any semblance of life back and believe me I was a nut job for about 10 years to a lesser degree at the start and to a huge decree by the time I got to starting all the different ones! Testosterone was introduced 7 months in and that fixed libido, energy levels to a certain extent and had a major impact for me on brain fog.

As I understand it, it is oestrogen that has an affect on all the "lubrication"??  eyes, mouth, vagina, skin elasticity and the lubrication in the joints - hence a lot of meno women have sore joints without the right amount of oestrogen. Did the optician explain why oestrogen wasn't the culprit in DES??? Wrensong?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5